• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breakfast of Champions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Keyl wrote:
now i know people are entitled to their own opinion but the majority seem to love the show so who's right and who's wrong?

Now I know people are entitled to their own opinion, but the majority view all cartoons (Japanese, American, or otherwise) as immature garbage so who's right and who's wrong? Yeah, that type of "logic" never works.

I like Casshern, but I'll be damned if I am gonna get all butthurt cause some person on the internet has a different opinion. Stick to your guns Erin, I know how you feel, I get this same reaction when I mention that I consider Akira perishable and Evangelion a rental at best...
Maximus44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Another great Shelf Life column Erin!

Thanks for bringing the Media Blasters sale to my attention!

Media Blasters appears to be having a fire sale.

I don't know if this is good news or bad news.

They do seem to still have some of their titles listed for pre-order!

It is interesting to see such old and out-of-print series (Rayearth Singles) show up as in-stock at Right Stuf (though I can't understand the price on some of them)!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Maximus44 wrote:
Media Blasters appears to be having a fire sale.

I don't know if this is good news or bad news.

They do seem to still have some of their titles listed for pre-order!

Right Stuf routinely has sales offering increased discounts on various distributors' products. A shopper can expect similar sales for Funimation, Bandai and Section23 goods at least once a year.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
If Erin didn't want to hear you all moan and hate her, all she had to do is lock the topic.

She wants you to talk about it, and she knows a lot of you disagree with her.

It is kinda of disingenuous to say she is trying to shut you up, when the topic is unlocked.

For starters I doubt people are "hating" on her. And calling dissenting opinions hating and moaning is rather rude and belligerent on your part. Those who disagree with her have all the right to voice their opinions without being labeled haters or moaners because they disagree with her. Plus given Erin's track record of voicing views and reviews that seem to not make complete sense or contradict her own previous ones (such as calling Casshern Sins perishable but yet calling Gaogaigar shelf worthy) it's no wonder many seem frustrated or confused at this point.

Secondly actually no she couldn't lock the thread. Erin is not a moderator or admin so she can't lock anything. Only a moderator or admin could do that. Not trying to be rude towards you, just clarifying for you. It is also not her call to even make. Even if she went to the mods or admins and demanded it there's no guarantee they would. That's their call, and if no rules were being violated I trust the mods to have enough professionalism to leave it open for discussion. Plus doing that would only speak negatively on Erin's character trying to stifle discussion if she ever did try that and I would trust her won professionalism to prevent that.

I just hope at this point after all this we can move on from the continuing Casshern sins discussion. I don't think it's going any further then where it already has anymore so let's move on to the next topic for drama.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. As I was responding to those who implied that by Erin's comments, she was defacto stifling discussion.

The hating and moaning comment was not directed at those that liked the show, or those who politely and civilly disagreed with Erin.

Zac's comments really said all that needed to be said.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Smart Chick wrote:
Woah this thread is a total 180 to the other Casshern Sins discussion thread. Erin has her own opinion and that's fine but I think I'll stick to other thread for discussion of the show to avoid all the chaos.

Btw your question about Ringo spoiler[Ringo is a new species, a possible human/robot hybrid, since she has the ability to grow while having a mechanical body. I guess you missed the part where Ohji explains that Casshern, Leda, and Dio were created to have the ability to reproduce like humans giving robots immortality in a sense. Ringo is the daughter of Leda and the father is never disclosed but can only be either Dio or Casshern.]

IIRC...

spoiler[ Oji said that Leda couldn't have children. She either aborted or had a stillborn possibly. Ringo was found inside of another robot by Oji.]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, reviews are opinions after all. It seems to me that if she hated the first part that much, she wasn't going to like the second part.

Can ANN have a more balanced review of part 2 completed by someone else?

Theron Martin reviewed the entire series

animenewsnetwork.com/review/casshern-sins-parts-1-and-2/blu-ray

He gave it a good review but nothing makes me think that this is some undiscovered masterpiece.

As for my thoughts on this thread. The thing that gets me is the people who are saying that Eris is wrong are simply saying "Erin is wrong, it's fantastic" while not giving any reason for why Casshern Sins is so good. Also several of them are suspiciously close to attacking Erin, and not Erin's opinion.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
At the level of "Everyone should find the show to be entertaining because ...", its very hard for anyone to be right

There is an abundance of theories concerning prescriptive utterances such as the one you quote. Appropriately omitting esoteric terms, I vaguely understand three of the main sorts:

1. The notion that each of such statements is either literally true or literally false. This is perhaps the most straightforward hypothesis, though it naturally leads to confrontation and ill-feeling amongst debating parties. (To avoid this problem, some consider the truth or falsity of each statement to be subject-dependant.)
  2. The notion that all such statements are literally false, but still possibly informative in a non-obvious manner.
  3. The notion that such statements somehow express the speaker's feelings instead of expressing statements that can be literally true or false. In effect, this would render such statements similar in meaning to the more innoculous phrase you mention: "I liked the show (because…)"

Since the first of these theories is often presumed by those who utter the bold sort of statement in question, the position of authority they assume when doing so makes their actions more arrogant than most folk tolerate.

It is indeed fortunate that one cannot recall such language being applied in published reviews here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
I like Casshern, but I'll be damned if I am gonna get all butthurt cause some person on the internet has a different opinion. Stick to your guns Erin, I know how you feel, I get this same reaction when I mention that I consider Akira perishable and Evangelion a rental at best...

Evangelion a rental at best? Sacrilege! Evil or Very Mad

Of course, I've only ever seen it on broadcast TV and by rental from Netflix, so I can't dispute it yet, but if I ever buy it, I will be outraged by this remark!!! That's right, you've been warned: when Funimation gets around to a complete S.A.V.E. set of the Evangelion movies, I'm going to be outraged by this remark. I figure about 2015~2016.

I can see that Maria-sama ga Miteru (s1 now streaming on URL) is a matter of possessing sufficiently excellent taste to fully enjoy its merits, but Evangelion has something for everyone, from the most infantile to the most sophisticated.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Quote:
except that I do agree with her about that weird dream episode focusing on Lyuze

I thought this was the single best episode of the series myself. And it's pretty blatent that it's a spoiler[dream/ruin induced halucination]

Hooray! We can all agree on something about Casshern Sins. But not Miller! Gross!

willag wrote:
I mean, I got annoyed with even the first episode of Black Lagoon, with all the people going on and on about how the world sucks, they're in hell, blah blah.

I gave Black Lagoon a Shelf Worthy. I get tired of depressing stuff, but it's worth sticking through in that show.

Cheesecracker wrote:
Obviously, Erin does not have the gift of prophecy. For if she did she would have just avoided Casshern all together.

I gotta watch all the DVDs they send me. It's part of the job.

Keyl wrote:
to bad people will end up seeing her first (since the she reviewed the first bluray before you did both) and end up avoiding.

hikaru004 wrote:
Can ANN have a more balanced review of part 2 completed by someone else?

I didn't review the Blu-ray. Theron's review of both parts one and two of the Blu-ray went up on the site before my review.

kakitamike wrote:
Casshern Sins put me to sleep. I had to wake myself up through 3 episodes before I gave up.

Although the show infuriated me too much to sleep through, I'm convinced that it is written for an audience that's half asleep at 2 or 3 in the morning. You can snooze through most of each episode and still get the gist of it.

Quark wrote:
diebuster wrote:
It's that she claimed that a voice actor for one of the characters was its only redeeming quality while she, I quote, "dumped on the animation quality" even though anyone with even the tiniest amount of animation knowledge should realize that it took far moare skill to draw and animate than the average anime.

Yeah...except that Erin actually has worked as an animator, so to suggest that she has no knowledge of animation is laughable.

Thank you! Although, to clarify, my job title has never been "animator". I've worked as a Production Coordinator, a Script Coordinator, and a Production Assistant. When I was Post Production Coordinator I got to look at actual budgets and stuff. Most of the shows I've worked on were animated overseas.

Smart Chick wrote:
Btw your question about Ringo spoiler[Ringo is a new species, a possible human/robot hybrid, since she has the ability to grow while having a mechanical body..] I guess you missed the part where spoiler[Ohji explains that Casshern, Leda, and Dio were created to have the ability to reproduce like humans giving robots immortality in a sense. Ringo is the daughter of Leda and the father is never disclosed but can only be either Dio or Casshern.]

No, I saw Ohji's explanation and paid attention. I thought it was clear that spoiler[Ringo was probably Leda's daughter, but they never revealed who the father was], which was annoying. I mean, they explained every other goddamn thing in the show - why not some more explanation about Ringo?

hikaru004 wrote:
IIRC...

spoiler[ Oji said that Leda couldn't have children. She either aborted or had a stillborn possibly. Ringo was found inside of another robot by Oji.]

You're right! But I thought spoiler[Leda wanted to have a child but couldn't, because Luna killed her, but it was implied that Leda was built to have a child or something...]

Hardgear wrote:
Erin, I know how you feel, I get this same reaction when I mention that I consider Akira perishable and Evangelion a rental at best...

That is CRAZY. Akira's going to be the only thing I buy on Blu-ray the minute I get a Blu-ray playing device. (So far I've watched all the Blu-rays at friends' places.)
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
kakitamike wrote:
Casshern Sins put me to sleep. I had to wake myself up through 3 episodes before I gave up.

Although the show infuriated me too much to sleep through, I'm convinced that it is written for an audience that's half asleep at 2 or 3 in the morning. You can snooze through most of each episode and still get the gist of it.

Perhaps its for an audience that is "multi-tasking", as in "watching" an anime, following twitter/facebook, participating in a chatroom, keeping up with email coming in, etc. ... when attention is divided three or four ways, even a normal or higher intelligence gets watered down.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Didn't expect GGG to be shelf worthy. Good news to me. I love GGG. It's a fun show. It's probably the one series that I was ever curious to watch and fell in love with. And I'm not a big mecha hound. But I have my moments.

I hope that one day 'MB' will consider bringing over the OVAs that mark the FINALE of the series. It's really worth seeing. The series itself isn't complete without those OVAs. In many ways, GGG marks the end of an era of the "over the top" robot shows. However 'Gainax' brought it back with 'GB2' and 'Gurren Lagann'.
I wouldn't say it was completely the end. There were other robot shows that managed to get over-the-top to the point of self-parody between GGG and TTGL. Like Aquarion (2005), which did so intentionally, or RahXephon (2002), which did so unintentionally.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Then you have Gravion, Godanner, that lesbian show, Super Robot Wars (whose tv series came out around Gurren Lagann). The problem isn't that Evangelion killed that type of show, it's that type of show has limited appeal due to a massive change in what Japanese like.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Erin, I know how you feel, I get this same reaction when I mention that I consider Akira perishable and Evangelion a rental at best...

That is CRAZY. Akira's going to be the only thing I buy on Blu-ray the minute I get a Blu-ray playing device. (So far I've watched all the Blu-rays at friends' places.)

I hate this movie and almost nothing you can say will change my mind. Razz

While I don't like it myself though I recognize its significance to the western anime scene. Same with Evangelion... I actually own that one, found it on sale dirt cheap and figured might as well. It wasnt a bad show, just I find it hard to enjoy a show where I HATE the main character and hope he dies every fight....
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

I hate this movie and almost nothing you can say will change my mind. Razz

I could totally see where some people would not like Akira! I didn't care for it on my first viewing.

My husband couldn't understand how anyone could possibly like Casshern Sins. He's read these forum threads and is absolutely flabbergasted.
diebuster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Yeah...except that Erin actually has worked as an animator, so to suggest that she has no knowledge of animation is laughable. She defended her position on the animation of Casshern Sins on last weeks Shelf Life forum by the way. If it bugs you that much, maybe you should go mosey on over and read it and find out why she doesn't like the animation on Casshern Sins. It's definitely a lot more constructive that just blindly accusing her of not knowing what she's talking about.

Link please? way too lazy to look it up
Quote:
Thank you! Although, to clarify, my job title has never been "animator". I've worked as a Production Coordinator, a Script Coordinator, and a Production Assistant. When I was Post Production Coordinator I got to look at actual budgets and stuff. Most of the shows I've worked on were animated overseas.

Even if you were a key animator, there would be absolutely no indication that you were a GOOD one. Even generally good looking shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender have really floaty and bad animation at times, even for major fights. The fact that you've never done animation only serves to enforce my point.

Casshern Sins is fairly well known as a fantastic sakuga anime by people who actually know what they're talking about. Even if there was a lot of cost-saving during talking scenes and you didn't like that, you should've at least pointed out that the action animation was really good.
Quote:
My husband couldn't understand how anyone could possibly like Casshern Sins. He's read these forum threads and is absolutely flabbergasted.

THE Erin Finnegan's Husband disliked this show? Wow I guess I should think about this for a while...

No but seriously... wow, why would someone like a cartoon with fantastic, unique art direction and brilliant key animation? I don't know!

Last edited by diebuster on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10