• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Arrested for 2007 Belgian 'Manga Murder' Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
So, remember kids: the only laws that matter are the ones inNnew Zealand. NO ONE ELSE can have different laws, ever. The concept of jurisprudence was perfect in New Zealand, and we only found out about it on a forum designed for talking about cartoons from Japan. I'll alert the media, because they seemed to have missed this breakthrough in the field of criminal justice!

That's right, you go ahead and say that. It just tells me that you had no actual counter-argument so you had to resort to that fallacious attack.

No, I made my counter arguement, and you decided to say that my counter argument is invalid because the way I feel about it, and how the laws are expressed in the US is "batcrap insane". How am I supposed to argue with that? If I found a death note in someone's locker, and I knew who it was, you can be sure it would make me freakin' nervous to be around that person. I don't understand how New Zealand can state that it has to be delivered first hand. That seems crazy to me. Just because they didn't say it directly to me, if I know about it, it's still a threat to my life, because the person is WISHING I WAS DEAD. How would that make you feel, knowing someone wished you were dead?

But it seems to me it's just futile to bother with you, cause you're mind's made up, and it seems to be that you're totally okay with someone wishing someone else was dead, and that nothing should be done until that person's dead so we can be totally, 100% sure that the guy was mentally troubled, and not just blowing off some steam. Sure, someone (or perhaps even quite a few people died) but that's a small price to pay to make sure that we don't unnecessarily pull a kid out of school, just because they have a Death Note, which is no way represents how they feel about any of their classmates and should in no way be taken as a warning sign that maybe something's wrong. Because that's what the laws in New Zealand state, and of course, those are the only laws that matter. Even if you don't live in New Zealand.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
How would that make you feel, knowing someone wished you were dead?

But it seems to me it's just futile to bother with you, cause you're mind's made up, and it seems to be that you're totally okay with someone wishing someone else was dead, and that nothing should be done until that person's dead so we can be totally, 100% sure that the guy was mentally troubled, and not just blowing off some steam.

Well, I for one wish that many many people were dead. In fact, although I have never made a physical list, I do have a long and quite extensive mental list of either people who I either explicitly want dead, or would rejoice if they did somehow get offed. Doesn't mean I'm going to do any killing. In fact, as a form of stress relief, writing out your thoughts - say, in a regular journal, or a specific notebook with no magical powers - could actually well work.

So, how would I feel if someone wished me dead? Eh, I'm not evil, or important enough to actually garner that sort of attention. But let's say they did. Well, if they want to fixate on me then fine. It's their mental energy. If someone went so far as to come up to me on the street and say "I'm going to kill you", then of course I'd be shaken and of course I'd report it to the police. But there is a difference between someone wanting me dead and someone actually coming up to me and threatening to kill me. A difference you are unable to see.

Sandstar wrote:
Sure, someone (or perhaps even quite a few people died) but that's a small price to pay to make sure that we don't unnecessarily pull a kid out of school, just because they have a Death Note, which is no way represents how they feel about any of their classmates and should in no way be taken as a warning sign that maybe something's wrong.

This old, tired and debunked argument again. See my previous posts where I state that this entire situation is all in your mind. Well, I didn't actually put it that way, but you are making it up. Going hypothetical doesn't really work in tangible concepts. Once again, there is no proof that this is going on, so stop pretending it is and then using your fantasy as the basis for an argument that's fundamentally flawed anyway.

You mentioned earlier that my mind is made up. Yes, it is. That you are completely and utterly wrong. And your mind is made up, but you are arguing on ground so weak that it might as well have been affected by liquefaction.

Sandstar wrote:
Because that's what the laws in New Zealand state, and of course, those are the only laws that matter. Even if you don't live in New Zealand.

I was using it as example at how the laws in America are broken with regards to this area, siding with with the bullies rather than the actual victims. New Zealand at least has a higher burden for proof for threatening to kill than:

"Oh, this kid I bully wrote in a private book of his that he wishes I was dead, therefore I believe that the chance for him to kill me is somewhat likely rather than the 0.00000001% it actually is."

If you Sandstar no longer wish to side with the arseholes and bullies of this world then I would advise you to change your tune. Because right now you are condoning a culture where those who are bullied - and we know that at least several of the kids in these cases were - are punished for having feelings they almost certainly will never act upon, whereas the ones who caused those negative feelings get away scot free.

Nice going there, pal. Though I guess you being the kind of person who would go through another person's locker without their consent, you are probably one of those bullies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5