• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Creator Shuho Sato Addresses Illegally Uploaded Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I sense a little libertarianism in Shuho. I wish I could see more of it elsewhere.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey, guys? I really appreciate everyone here twisting my stance on this subject.

Really adds to this healthy debate....
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Hey, guys? I really appreciate everyone here twisting my stance on this subject.

Really adds to this healthy debate....

Imagine, a stance that includes such calm, well-reasoned, healthy argument as:
Quote:
This guy said the most logical thing I've heard all week. If people seriously start throwing shit over it, then here's a head's up:

Ya'lls is MORONS! RETARDS. JACKASSES. ASSJACKS. DOUCHEBAGS. INGRATES. MORONS. ...
... and its somehow not being taken for the attempt to engage in calm, well-reasoned, healthy discussion that it is? How unreasonable!

I take it that you had a further post that elevated the discussion to such a high level that its effort at reasonable discussion went entirely over the head of some moderator, who clipped it.

More seriously, from what remains, how am I to know whether you support the actual position the mangaka states, or are involved in selective cutting or inserting to fit what he argued into a pre-existing agenda?

It might have been clearer if you went on what it is that appealed to you about his argument, rather than jumping straight into abuse-in-advance for anyone who disagreed with however you happened to have read this mangaka's position.

In case I was not clear previously, I'll note that:

(1) I support the right of the mangaka to allow copying under whatever terms he or she sees fit, including open slather on all uncommercial copying. I also support the right of the mangaka to disallow copying under whatever terms he or she sees fit. And,

(2) While clear evidence has been presented of commercial copying underming the market for specific manga titles, I have not seen any clear evidence of the same type for non-commercial copying, so the mangaka's position that it is in the interest of mangaka to allow non-commercial copying is at the very least plausible.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
After reading all these views, I have few things to say.

Man, nothing in the world is free. Things could be cheap, not free. It takes few mouse clicks to download every single page of manga, but it takes several days to write and draw 2 to 3 pages. It's very labor-intensive and returns are dismal. Only a handful of artists can make mega-hits that allow them to live comfortably.

Everything is disposable nowadays that people have no appreciation for creating things.

I have to agree with littlegreenwolf. Despite millions of hits on a typical manga scanlation site, how many artists saw a single cent from that site?

Is it just me, or people are insisting that manga should be free-for-
all attitude are still living with their parents' expense without worrying about real living expenses? Sato himself is certainly worried.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
chefneer wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Time for Epic Thread #5! (I think we're on 5 now)

Somebody brought popcorn for the last one. This time I'll bring the beer.

If I remember correctly, Zak said last time he was bringing the hot dogs.

I must have missed that one, but hey, it sounds good to me. I wonder what kind he'll bring?

For the beer, will an assortment of microbrews do?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I generally avoid threads like this, but I have to disagree with those who say it's up to the manga-ka to decide whether otherwise illegal distribution is okay. Don't you think the publishers might have a different opinion seeing as it's their money that goes to the design, printing, distributing and marketing of the manga-ka's works? Unless the manga-ka owns all rights in his or her works, and the publishing company owns none of them, it's not up to the manga-ka to "authorize" otherwise illegal online distribution.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Unless the manga-ka owns all rights in his or her works, and the publishing company owns none of them, it's not up to the manga-ka to "authorize" otherwise illegal online distribution.

Certainly the mangaka cannot grant permission to someone if they have already signed a contract that gives exclusive rights to someone else. That is, after all, why Shuho Sato waits a month before uploading his manga, because the serial has first publication rights, so there is a time window when he is not allowed to compete with the serial.

But remember that rights in the manga industry are unbundled. The publisher would have to pay royalties for a tankobun and extra for electronic distribution rights. The serial only pays for a collection of rights focused on first publication rights.

And any fan translation would have to be done using the source material that Shuho Sato distributes ~ he cannot give permission to break the spine of the serial and scan it, or to redistribute those scans ~ he can only give permission to copy the material he has produced.

SImilarly, while he can grant the use of his manga for a fan translation, he could not take that fan translation and distribute it without permission. Derivative work requires permission of both the original creator and the creator of the derivative work.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I generally avoid threads like this, but I have to disagree with those who say it's up to the manga-ka to decide whether otherwise illegal distribution is okay. Don't you think the publishers might have a different opinion seeing as it's their money that goes to the design, printing, distributing and marketing of the manga-ka's works? Unless the manga-ka owns all rights in his or her works, and the publishing company owns none of them, it's not up to the manga-ka to "authorize" otherwise illegal online distribution.

That is true- you tend to only see creative commons-type approaches on self-published works because when an artist is working with a publisher they tend to want to respect those they're working with and the specifics of their contracts with them. The editorial team or licensing company is a part of the creative and distributive process, and does have to be considered.

Although, from what I've gleaned, the digital rights to manga usually do lie with the book's artists/writers [as well as foriegn licensing rights- the publisher will usually act as an intermediary while negociating rights], though that could vary depending on the terms of each publisher. So, most of the time, whether or not you see a legit digital version of a book depends on whether or not the artist in question signs off on it- this is why we have weekly, simultaenous Rin-ne and not Naruto. Because Rumiko said "Hey VIZ guys, sure, we'll do that!"

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-04-23 Ed Chavez has shared a lot of information in discussions about japanese artists feelings towards piracy, digital editions and licensing in assorted discussions http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/20/the-manga-industry-speaks-taking-stock-in-tough-times/ He has pointed out that generally, manga artists demand higher royalties for digital editions then they do for print editions

Anyhoo, thing people should take away from all this discussion- your time is best spent supporting the artists who opt to authorize the delivery form you prefer than supporting pirates who go against their wishes. If you want digital manga, support the legit offerings that are out there, free or for a fee, and educate yourself so you can avoid the non-legit offerings. While Sato does seem to waffle, he does clarify that he opposes illegal uploads.

Also, if it's only available online for a fee, or only for a limited time before it's collected in print [VIZ's approach] or in an undownloadable, read-it-when-online format, that's just how it is- respect what's offered and appreciate it for what it is, and support the formats that suit you.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
So, most of the time, whether or not you see a legit digital version of a book depends on whether or not the artist in question signs off on it- this is why we have weekly, simultaenous Rin-ne and not Naruto. Because Rumiko said "Hey VIZ guys, sure, we'll do that!"

I'm expecting that simultaneous serial and digital publication would normally require both the mangaka and the serial publisher to OK, with First Japanese Language serial rights being what the serial is buying when they pay the page rate to the mangaka. I don't read Japanese so I don't know what the manga publishers say, but in the US SF serial market, it goes something like this:
Quote:
Asimov’s Science Fiction magazine is an established market for science fiction stories. We pay on acceptance, and beginners get 6.0 cents a word to 7,500 words, 5.0 cents a word for stories longer than 12,500 words, and $450 for stories between those lengths. We seldom buy stories longer than 20,000 words, and we don’t serialize novels. We pay $1 a line for poetry, which should not exceed 40 lines. We buy First English Language serial rights plus certain non-exclusive rights explained in our contract. We do not publish reprints, and we do not accept “simultaneous submissions,” (stories sent at the same time to a publication other than Asimov’s). Asimov’s will consider material submitted by any writer, previously published or not. We’ve bought some of our best stories from people who have never sold a story before.
... except of course mangaka are paid for First serial rights by page not by word.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Isn't his mentioning One Piece akin to the chihuahua nipping at the heels of the Great Dane? Is there any comparison in sales?
All he can speak for is himself. He has no place deciding what One Piece's creator & publisher feel about that product being online for free. He bats at that answer, but there is no purpose to the OP ref.
Frankly, the anime is already free on tv for Japanese viewers so why would they have to post manga chapters online for free? One Piece is one of those things like Disneyland that enough people are aware of, there's no excuse on the planet for it to be illegally offered on the net.
If the copyright holders choose to offer it as this guy seems to be doing, then fine. He can give all his work away for free forever if that's his choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3