• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! Tops Bakemonogatari as #1 TV Anime in BD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Gentry wrote:
Hahaha that just sounds like a desperate excuse for moe kicking bake's ass. Too bad.

But Bakemonogatari is plenty moe itself.

Bake also has fan service going for it while K-On's was minimal at best.

Alright, putting all that aside both series definitely had their strong points. Arguing the how's and why's is pretty pointless...

... But entertaining. So please continue while exercising proper dignity and poise. Smile
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
... And so the Bakemonogatari/K-ON! war rages on. Razz

Ranma824 wrote:
Here's hoping that Bandai can garner even a fraction of those JP sales numbers.

Yeah, I hope so too (no personal investment in the title on my part though). Would 10% be too much to ask for?
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
... And so the Bakemonogatari/K-ON! war rages on. Razz

It's pretty fun TBH Anime hyper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
selling 348,000 copies of bluray with 20 something episodes anime is consider super good. some anime with 50 eps can't sell more than 100k bluray. yeah, moe anime is not dead and still very popular.

But Bakemonogatari is still more popular than K-on. it doesn't sell as much bluray because it has less episodes than k-on is very valid point.

But more people should be able to buy Bake because it's less BDs to buy. Therefore, it should make more money.

Sounds like K-ON kicked Bake's butt.

This is a testament to K-ON's staying power.

That's some horrible logic. If 5 people bought a series that spanned 12 volumes compared to 12 people bought a series that spanned 6 volumes, the 2nd series is more popular.

Your argument is going to be null and void anyway when Kizumonogatari comes out.
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
When the Sequel and Prequel to Bakemonogatari comes out then it easily will reclaim the #1 spot again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
you must think it really is over.... sure the light music club is over, but now it will be time for a college version of the show. do you think they will stop a cash cow, I think not, they will milk it for all it's worth, then just like dragonballz, they will kick that dead horse until it stops making money, so dont think that just because k-on is over, we wont see a new show

and I wish some R1 company would license bakemonogatari, I want to buy eith subtitled blu-rays, or a dub version, either will be fine...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
you must think it really is over.... sure the light music club is over, but now it will be time for a college version of the show.

I don't know... putting them in college means at some point or another they would have to be in certain college situations. (it doesn't have to be sex) And you know how the Otaku react when you mess with the "purity" of a favorite character.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
But they're going to an all-girl college, so they can freely avoid having men on the show just as they did in the first two seasons, other than Ritsu's little brother of course.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But they're going to an all-girl college.

Which means it's time to make some Otaku's yuri fantasies come true Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Nah, KyoAni leaves that up to the erotic doujinshi writers. They know that right now what is huge with otaku is that innocence and purity that go along with the whole moe feel of a character.

I always found it kind of ironic that the second otaku discover that their current obsession isn't 100% pure they'll go ballistic (see Kannagi), and yet they're also the same people waiting hours in line at Comiket to get some circle's doujin featuring the same character being deflowered or whatever.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Nah, KyoAni leaves that up to the erotic doujinshi writers. They know that right now what is huge with otaku is that innocence and purity that go along with the whole moe feel of a character.

I always found it kind of ironic that the second otaku discover that their current obsession isn't 100% pure they'll go ballistic (see Kannagi), and yet they're also the same people waiting hours in line at Comiket to get some circle's doujin featuring the same character being deflowered or whatever.

Then, I guess i'm not one of those Otaku because I never thought of, say, Mio or Mugi as "innocent" or "pure". And I know they won't be when they go to college. Mio, Mugi and Azusa's "purity" will be gone first, followed by Yui (thanks to me Razz) then Ritsu. If there are characters I know that lead you on to be "innocent", it's Tsukasa from Lucky Star or Chiyo-chan from Azumanga. I enjoyed K-ON for what it was -- a music comedy. Not for the moe-fest.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll be curious to see when the inflection point is where they actually cut back or stop making the DVD's is... seems like these and many other shows are selling astonichingly more BD's...

although that's still just a curiosity, till they bring 'em here...
Clueless313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
And yet Yui can't beat Nadeko... Anime cry

because it's all about Mio.

Incorrect.
Ritsu pwns all. Cool
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Although I like K-on alot, theres nothing to argue, fact is fact.
K-on sold more overall.
Bakemono sold more per volume.
if things are looked at only by sales, then One piece would be the "best" manga out there. which I definitely do not agree.
which one is better is personal opinion.
although the storyline of k-on is over. new merchandising still will go on for many many more month and possibly years thus keeping the franchise strong.
k-on is an unique kind of show in an un-unique setting. what other shows are in an high school setting without male characters. what kind of shows promotes "moeness" without even showing pantsu once (swimwear dosen't count).
all that said....I personally, is a intermediate spender on k-on merchandise, will be into four digits by the end of the year and I still want a Hirasawa Ui pvc figure and I hope they make one Sad
kyoani pretty much pulled k-on from nothing to everything. when k-on first volume came out.....it didn't even make it on the chart....while after the anime came out. the third volume sold over 10x more in the same amount of time (one week). and Im sure k-on volume 4 will be another "Anime News Network" news on it being the best selling one of the franchise.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
superunature wrote:

k-on is an unique kind of show in an un-unique setting. what other shows are in an high school setting without male characters. what kind of shows promotes "moeness" without even showing pantsu once (swimwear dosen't count).

It was an original series when they focused on music. But just like every girlish anime, they have to cater to the otaku fanboys and join Moe-Fest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3