• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! Tops Bakemonogatari as #1 TV Anime in BD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superunature

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
superunature wrote:

k-on is an unique kind of show in an un-unique setting. what other shows are in an high school setting without male characters. what kind of shows promotes "moeness" without even showing pantsu once (swimwear dosen't count).

It was an original series when they focused on music. But just like every girlish anime, they have to cater to the otaku fanboys and join Moe-Fest.

that is because you either have to go Moe or intense action to get any kinds of attention from the most profitable generation sectors.
every anime theres people who loves it and people who hates it. its very understandable. There are quite a few anime that I watch would would just go "........" different people have different taste, nobody is right or wrong.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
superunature wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
superunature wrote:

k-on is an unique kind of show in an un-unique setting. what other shows are in an high school setting without male characters. what kind of shows promotes "moeness" without even showing pantsu once (swimwear dosen't count).

It was an original series when they focused on music. But just like every girlish anime, they have to cater to the otaku fanboys and join Moe-Fest.

that is because you either have to go Moe or intense action to get any kinds of attention from the most profitable generation sectors.
every anime theres people who loves it and people who hates it. its very understandable. There are quite a few anime that I watch would would just go "........" different people have different taste, nobody is right or wrong.

Thing is, i'm better sure K-ON could've done great without catering to the moe crowd. Because honestly, you don't get a sell-out crowd doing a live action K-ON concert by just being cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Thing is, i'm better sure K-ON could've done great without catering to the moe crowd. Because honestly, you don't get a sell-out crowd doing a live action K-ON concert by just being cute.

I don't think so. It's a (very laid back) slice-of-life show, and as such, about the only thing it really has going for it is moe. And speaking as someone who generally likes moe, I found the series to be pretty bland in terms of storytelling.
zato_1one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not to mention that Bakemonogatari is from a well known light novel author who already had a large contingent of fans before SHAFT had even announced their anime adaptation.

Whereas with K-ON!, the manga was hardly known at all before KyoAni had announced their plans to an adaptation.

So in my mind, it's quite an impressive feat that KyoAni was able to take a relatively unknown piece and make it so that it nearly matched the sales of an extremely well known piece.

I just want to correct this statement. Bakemonogatari was not well known at all at that time. It didn't have any promotional material and had almost no advertisement. The novel was selling well just after the anime was airing. Its popularity was built by the anime alone. The fact that it is selling this well is actually a puzzle in itself. Based on the interview, even SHAFT didn't know the reason behind this success. Laughing

In contrast, when KyoAni announced that it would produce K-ON. This news alone had already generated a hype by itself and caused people to give attention to K-ON. You can't compare the amount of fan base and marketing scheme between KyoAni and SHAFT. Rolling Eyes
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Gentry wrote:
Hahaha that just sounds like a desperate excuse for moe kicking bake's ass. Too bad.

But Bakemonogatari is plenty moe itself.

Bake also has fan service going for it while K-On's was minimal at best.

You know, for some, K-On's lack of fanservice was part of its appeal.

Fanservice-driven animes are a dime a dozen. An anime that attempts to be moe without the slightest bit of fanservice - yeah, that is unique.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
zato_1one wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Not to mention that Bakemonogatari is from a well known light novel author who already had a large contingent of fans before SHAFT had even announced their anime adaptation.

Whereas with K-ON!, the manga was hardly known at all before KyoAni had announced their plans to an adaptation.

So in my mind, it's quite an impressive feat that KyoAni was able to take a relatively unknown piece and make it so that it nearly matched the sales of an extremely well known piece.

I just want to correct this statement. Bakemonogatari was not well known at all at that time. It didn't have any promotional material and had almost no advertisement. The novel was selling well just after the anime was airing. Its popularity was built by the anime alone. The fact that it is selling this well is actually a puzzle in itself. Based on the interview, even SHAFT didn't know the reason behind this success. Laughing

In contrast, when KyoAni announced that it would produce K-ON. This news alone had already generated a hype by itself and caused people to give attention to K-ON. You can't compare the amount of fan base and marketing scheme between KyoAni and SHAFT. Rolling Eyes

Really? Cause I have a source for you. According to this list which was posted in October of 2008 (Bakemono aired in summer of 2009), Bakemonogatari had already sold 250,000 copies. That's a lot of copies. Enough for it to already be on the "top 89" light novel list. Also, "Katanagatari", done by the same author, had already sold 720,000 copies at that point. So don't go thinking that Nissin or Bakemono was "not well known at all", cause you're just spouting false information.

Contrast that with this list, which shows that after the first week that K-ON! aired on TV 20k copies were sold for vol 1 and 2 of the K-ON manga, which until that time had never been in a top weekly manga list and each had accumulated about 35k copies each.
zato_1one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Really? Cause I have a source for you. According to this list which was posted in October of 2008 (Bakemono aired in summer of 2009), Bakemonogatari had already sold 250,000 copies. That's a lot of copies. Enough for it to already be on the "top 89" light novel list. Also, "Katanagatari", done by the same author, had already sold 720,000 copies at that point. So don't go thinking that Nissin or Bakemono was "not well known at all", cause you're just spouting false information.

Contrast that with this list, which shows that after the first week that K-ON! aired on TV 20k copies were sold for vol 1 and 2 of the K-ON manga, which until that time had never been in a top weekly manga list and each had accumulated about 35k copies each.

I admit that Nisio Ishin has some of his fanbase. Well, I may be in no position to say about this. But I wouldn't call Bakemonogatari extremely popular or well known at that point. If it is then I don't know what to call series which have much much higher sales. I think that it's more like a niche.

Your list is actually a proof that the popularity of novel doesn't automatically make the anime success. It may not even relate with each other because it is different market. Plus, most novel readers are extremely nitpick and very hard to please. IMO So, I still stand my point that Bakemonogatari is becoming extremely popular because of anime. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3