• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Show of Farce

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
Final Fantasy XIV is just meh, it had possibly the worst showing at Pax this year, and on top of that the combat looks really boring. On the Whole guild wars 2 and Tera looked better, but i don't think any of those are gonna beat out the reigning champion WoW, or hell even what is shaping up to be Bioware's opus: Star Wars: The Old Republic.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
I like to imagine that something's going to happen in the new DMC that results in Dante busting out of a building, pizza in hand, to battle this new guy that's supposed to be him. But alas, as for now I guess it's playing as him in his Johnny Rotten days.

I'm really excited about the zombies in Yakuza. It's s completely ridiculous idea to suddenly throw into it but then again the series isn't exactly an accurate portrayal of Japanese gangsters.

Seeing Tronne and Wesker added to the MVC3 lineup is pretty great too, although I'm bummed out that they decided/had to omit characters from the Rival Schools series. They never appeared in it before but after Tatsunoko and the fact that the two RS games can't be put on PSN it would've been great to have them appear in more games.

Adding guys in Idolm@ster is a pretty interesting twist, too. I've always liked the games but they don't get a very good rep because of how popular they are in the male otaku crowd. I'm sure other girls will get a kick out of it.

As for Nippon Ichi...I'm not too impressed by the looks of Disgaea 4 (it's gone from looking like a ps1 game to a ps2 game, hooray?), and knowing them they'll probably put a lot into DLC again.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
I am quite surprised by Galgun. One anticipates news of a sequel, in which the player is able to use eager hands instead of pheromone bullets.

Colonel Sanders' career roles continue to impress. For a deceased restaurateur he is still remarkably active.

I notice there is a game entitled Quantum Theory. Let us hope it meets our "expectation values"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I am quite surprised by Galgun. One anticipates news of a sequel, in which the player is able to use eager hands instead of pheromone bullets.

You do realise your character is female right.
Otherwise your sugestion has already been done ages ago in the US.

I like the pure stupidity of a rail shooter in which hitting stuff results in pink hearts and fowers. Probaly end with a lower age rating than western FPS's due to that (being unrealistic has it's advantages), so'll sell more.

The trailer is simply epic tho'. The oh so subtle buy Umineko message is brilliant.
http://japan.gamespot.com/ps3/videos/story/0,3800076101,20419967,00.htm @ 3:50 ish
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Kunimitsu is the best, don't even. Raven's no replacement.

I want Jun back too. That way I'd only have to learn one character. Very Happy
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, another MVC game. This should be interesting for the larger systems.

Who didn't expect another Disgaea game? Didn't surprise me. I've never played any of those games, because the tactical insanity is just too much. Not to mention I've been a fan of NIS for a long time.

Last Guardian late next year? Oh c'mon. The world could end before then while they're holding pen to paper.

Another Vakyria Chronicles. Awesome. Glad to actually get some more info on the story.

Galgun? Only in Japan can make games for otaku.

Idolm@ster 3, WITH GUYS??? May not be a hit with the boys but maybe the girls might bite. Now do you get to poke and touch them anywhere to cure stomach aches?
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been wishing for a "Revolutionary Warriors" game for years!

Anyway, the next one is set in Troy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
MvC3: Hey, if it's got Tron Bonne in it, it's automatically a winner in my book. I still hope they pick someone from the Megaman X universe, though I highly doubt that. At least Zero got to be in TvC, but I haven't played that one yet.

Project Drago: Ooooooh, you got my attention here! And with the Kinect no less! So I get to snuggle with a big dragon? Yay! Well, provided I actually get a Kinect lol Anime hyper

Last Guardian: I know this game will be a hit with the macro fandom. A boy and his giant buddy is a great idea for a video game, and I can only criticize it took them this long to make it into a game.

Disgaea 4: Despite that I'm not a fan of the series (though I do love Phantom Brave), I have to admit this one looks like it'll be even crazier than past Disgaeas. Seeing all the characters stack on each other, grab a monkey bar overhead and swing themselves like a game of crack the whip made me smile.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity: I can understand some other game like a shooter or a fighter, but Phantasy Star is what they chose to stick Colonel Sanders in? Wow, the series has really gone downhill since its glory days on Genesis when it was an enjoyable console RPG. Ever since the online Phantasy Star was released, the series has gotten seriously bad.

Atelier Rorona: It's nice to see we're getting more of the Atelier series other than Iris (especially because we've haven't seen hide nor hair of her since Grand Phantasm). I was worried we wouldn't get this because of the past history of Atelier games. For those who don't know, the old stuff like Marie and Lilie focused more on item creation and time management rather than combat. They brought Iris over because it was more combat-heavy; which also felt like a stab at our intellect, thinking U.S. RPG players were too dumb to understand a game with item creation unless it was peppered with combat. I know we got Atelier Annie, but I heard that one didn't too well due to being on the DS. I hope Rorona does well, and I look forward to Totori in the future. One thing though Gust: more dragon characters like Gray, NOW!

Final Fantasy XIV: One word. No.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:

Anyway, the next one is set in Troy.

To which I say, finally. We can get a game based on the West's cultural epic, The Iliad although for a joke "Fast Food Warriors: Empires" is one of conceptual laughs... imagine fictional fast food chains fighting for strategic "market share increases", using "business strategy" cards and hiring "employees" to wage your battle across the strategic map of say the U.S.A.

To answer Todd's question about the Warrior's series most of the players I know tend to keep the various iterations.. even though we know it has a yearly release schedule (and by that there is at least one Warriors game of some sort in the pipeline.. For example Dynasty Warriors 7 has been announced...)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh one more thing, I forgot to add this. Does anyone know the whole joke behind 'Colonel Sanders'? I mean, ever since old school anime shows, I can't remember the show I'm thinking of Colonel Sanders has popped up every time. Was there ever a reason behind why they decided to use him as a running in joke.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I blame the fact that Valkyria Chronicles 1 was a PS3 exclusive instead of a multi-platform release for the series migrating to handhelds. I've heard that VC1 was a fantastic game, its really too bad that no one bought it (stupid PS3 owners Mad).

That being said, I'm really in love with VC2 (I just think it would be so much better in HD and with more processing power). VC3 will definitely be a day one purchase.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Actually, they announced no platforms for Ninja Gaiden 3, so you're being a bit premature labelling it a PS3 game... though it would be utter stupidity on Tecmo's part to NOT go multiplatform from day one with this release, lets face it.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Quote:
Next: a Dynasty-Warriors-style game set during the American Revolution, with sword-wielding Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross.

Why do the best games only exist as jokes? Sad

I feel your pain, I thought the same thing the first time something like this was mentioned when talking about another "historical" Japanese video game...

Man, it would be epic playing a bishonen George Washington slicing up armies of redcoats with his dual rapiers (each bigger than him), 25 foot leaps, and other ninja skills.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought George Washington was to be armed with an Axe and for his musou move wield an axe and cherry tree....
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
THAT is not Dante. THAT is disgusting. I am a very pissed Devil May Cry fangirl now. I refuse to give that game a 2nd look.

But... really happy about a new Tekken Tag game (screw the Street Fighter combo, I hate street fighter), and even more happy for the non-Japanese property, American McGee's Alice 2, which was supposed to have some sort of special trailer or something at the game show. I'll have to look it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3