• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Nyan Koi! Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakitamike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Wanted to hear this dubbed, but I knew it was wishful thinking. Will be picking it up regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nyan Koi is great, can't wait for the second season. It's great that Sentai's getting all these titles, but frustrating that they're only releasing DVDs and reserving the Blurays for dubs so far! Mad
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
And Again I must ask......... Why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

For once Mario, I actually agree with you.

I watched about two episodes of this series but after that, I dropped this series. It has potential, but it just becomes yet another run of the mill comedic harem, with cats.

Just hope they expect some people to be a little miffed about this series being subtitle only.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Because Section23 Films thinks they will make money on the release. The bigger "why" is why you continue to be allowed to post here since you exist only to bitch about sub-only releases.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
Wanted to hear this dubbed, but I knew it was wishful thinking. Will be picking it up regardless.

I was thinking the same thing. ADV used to be able to due such good comedy dubs back in the day and seeing as Section23 is basically the same I would assume they would be able to pull off some pretty good stuff.

That said I will probably be picking it up when I get a bit of money. December is gonna be tight for me(X-mas always screws me) but I should have the money in January.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
What? No dubs? I'm not getting this unless it's dubbed -_-'
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Because Section23 Films thinks they will make money on the release. The bigger "why" is why you continue to be allowed to post here since you exist only to bitch about sub-only releases.

I didn't say anything about a dub now did I...... I am sure I didn't... Now you just attacked me for no reason.... I am sure you did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Companies need $$ to dub things. You know, pay the voice actors for their work. Sadly, not EVERY anime companie has these $$ to pay for the dubbing. Subbing is cheaper. Once again, the anime industry needs ALL the support it can get or you can kiss dubs goodbye :/ Well, anime altogether for that matter >_>

I'm actually surprised that "Section 23" is still licensing things to be honest.

As for Nyan Koi! I love cats and was excited about this. Watching through, I got terribly bored as it really was just a typical harem :/ I was hoping there would be more crazy antics involving the cats, but no :/
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that they're not getting enough money. And dub haters act like greedy bastards. The typical response is 'I don't care about dubs because I hate them' (and usually for stupid unjustifiable reasons). But without dubs, how the hell will anime keep going? How will anyone new to anime develop a taste for it? No one is gonna want START to watch anime with subs? And especially younger audiences, they'd never watch anything in another language, anime or otherwise. Subs are an acquired taste like caviar.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Its good but not that good enough to get it subbed
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I was just lamenting earlier about this...why do they not dub slice of life/comedy series? Granted, Clannad has elements of these but still...they could have made it work in Hidamari or Maria Holic. Is it because they don't want someone to get mad over some cultural reference they changed?

Last edited by ZeetherKID77 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I didn't say anything about a dub now did I...... I am sure I didn't... Now you just attacked me for no reason.... I am sure you did.

Well, gosh, Mario I guess that's the problem with posting a vague, useless statement like you did, isn't it? This is a site that encourages people to take the time to explain themselves. What's the point of just posting Why? That contributes absolutely nothing in the way of intelligent discourse.

Plus, despite your entirely convincing attempt at playing dumb, anybody who is familiar with your tedious anti-sub-only soapboxing knows exactly what you meant. Which brings me back to my original question: why are you allowed to continue posting here?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Because they believe they have an audience that will buy it. Just because you don't like a particular show and have no plans to buy it, doesn't mean others won't. It also gives them new content for their online portal and the Anime Network. Or they might be using this license to get another. Some of their smaller titles seemed to have been picked up to help establish relationships with licensors in Japan, such as picking La Corda Doro from Aniplex, then later grabbing Hell Girl and Xam'd.

I don't really get the posts when people wonder why a particular show got licensed. It should be pretty self-explanatory. They're not just licensing shows for shits and giggles. Besides, much worse shows than this have been licensed. Look at a lot of what Funi and Media Blasters have licensed over the past few years.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything about this show and I don't watch fansubs, so I can't make any claims to it's quality. But I am a sucker for harem comedies, so I will definitely be giving it a try. Besides, it will end up on Anime Network VOD or Online if I feel like waiting to give it a go.

As for the dub question, it should hardly be surprising to see shows getting released sub-only, especially very niche shows from Sentai. It's not they don't want to dub them, or don't have the money to do it, but it's pointless to do it on a show that won't sell enough units to earn back the expense. They don't have any big cash cow franchises to cover their asses, like Bleach or Dragon Ball.

Anime sales are in the toilet, especially on DVD. Even Funi's sales have been down double digits year over year. Retail space is hard to come buy, and will become even more rare when Best Buy starts rolling out their new store concepts at the end of this year and next. Smaller companies can't afford to risk dubbing every show they have.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

For once Mario, I actually agree with you.

I watched about two episodes of this series but after that, I dropped this series. It has potential, but it just becomes yet another run of the mill comedic harem, with cats.

Just hope they expect some people to be a little miffed about this series being subtitle only.
no right to talk. you only watched two episodes...it gets better and is actually pretty funny
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6