• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touhou Project, Anime Tenchou Get Anime by ufotable

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Zun's stated that he doesn't want a Touhou series made. There have been tons of short (from under a minute to a few 25 minute episodes) doujin animations made, so if this is the same sort of thing I can't see him having much of a problem.
His objection to a series has been that it would almost certainly eclipse the games in popularity due to it's accessibility (as has happened with almost all of the many, many game-based anime series in the past). An animated short, however, is just free advertising.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
WHY

I'd rather have another stupid IOSYS flash go viral a la Marisa Stole the Precious Thing rather than this shit.

/thread

Touhou doesn't need any newfriends. I hope that this ends in the one-shot and we can all go back to waiting on C79 and the next Reitaisai for Maikaze's release and other proper Touhou doujin anime works.

[Mod Edit: One quote is enough, repeating the quote repeatedly is unnecessary. - Keonyn]
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH! ANIME TENCHOU!
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Great, more reason for Touhou fans to act annoying Rolling Eyes
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Great, more reason for Touhou fans to act annoying Rolling Eyes

The fan base isn't that annoying

ok who am I kidding most American fans are. Japan and a lot of other countries are fine but from all the U.S fans I've met and talked to. Let me put it this way it's about the same as the "Big 3" only with out the anime part and with the "My views on ___ for this part of the series / characters are better then yours"

It's all because ZUN leaves Touhou to fan doing most of the time which can be a good or bad thing.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
Felt like seeing the word "Online" pops up after "Final Fantasy XIV" in that E3 trailer when I read about the part about Anime Tenchou.

This. x1000.

I hate crossovers in general, but this is just...wrong.

Though the fireworks in /jp/ and pooshlmer are going to be fun.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hell, I only feel like watching this because of Anime Tenchou.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
All one need do is look at the first episodes of Futakoi Alternative or Coyote Ragtime Show to know that ufoTable is fully able to do justice to the Touhou franchise.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Somehow I knew it was too good to be true. That it's just an Anime Tenchou crossover is honestly a little bit disheartening. But, on the other hand, I can't help but think a genuine Touhou anime would be more trouble than it'd be worth. One of the biggest appeals of Touhou is that there's really no definitive canon. ZUN's no storyteller, he's an amateur musician who uses bullet-hell games as promotional tools (or something like that). This inherent lack of any real story or established character lore has allowed the fanbase to be the ones to determine what canon is, and it's led to numerous options for people to enjoy. Sometimes Sakuya's a closet lolicon lusting after Remilia, and sometimes she has a dysfunctional romantic involvement with Meiling. Sometimes Cirno's a moron, and sometimes she's just a rambunctious kid doing what rambunctious kids do. That sort of freedom of interpretation in the face of a lack of official canon has, in my opinion, been one of the true driving forces in keeping Touhou's popularity going, and an official anime that would nail down an official story would risk compromising that freedom.

As much as I'd like to see Touhou rendered in anime form as only a big-budget studio could, leaving it to the realm of fanworks might just be for the best. Though it'd be nice if ZUN'd still at least allow doujin anime (unless I'm mistaken, he did have the Touhou Anime Project halted, correct?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
That it's just an Anime Tenchou crossover is honestly a little bit disheartening.
I'm not so sure about that. While the Anime Tenchou site keeps "Anime Tenchou" in the project name, and includes characters on the promo image, the ufotable page and poster show only Touhou characters.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
WHY

I'd rather have another stupid IOSYS flash go viral a la Marisa Stole the Precious Thing rather than this shit.

Yeah, damn those inevitable secondaries for ruining your ability to enjoy your precious doujin series! No True Touhou Fan supports new people getting into their fandom!
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
That it's just an Anime Tenchou crossover is honestly a little bit disheartening.
I'm not so sure about that. While the Anime Tenchou site keeps "Anime Tenchou" in the project name, and includes characters on the promo image, the ufotable page and poster show only Touhou characters.

That ufotable page and poster are for the Tokushima Awa Odori event in August. It's a separate project from the upcoming anime with Anime Tenchou. That's why that page also shows the Kara no Kyoukai poster for this year's Tokushima Awa Odori.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
That ufotable page and poster are for the Tokushima Awa Odori event in August. It's a separate project from the upcoming anime with Anime Tenchou. That's why that page also shows the Kara no Kyoukai poster for this year's Tokushima Awa Odori.
Ah, my mistake. I'd assumed the large '3' link on the homepage meant 'third Anime Tenchou collaboration'. I notice that the homepage has now added english text to the links.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2