• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publisher Libre Confirms Notices to Manga Scan Groups

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Most fangirls I know who are old enough to buy/read yaoi are pretty anti-piracy, so I think that's a part of it- the majority of the online fandom of this stuff isn't really bothered by it, and are being wellserviced by legit offerings anyways. They aren't 14, and make up a large part of those buying manga [psst---- people who want more seinen, josei and yuri manga take a hint from them and *buy lots of stuff en masse* rather then complaining about how companies don't want to license the series you probably won't bother buying].

[though SigIkki and DHorse moving ahead with lots of series makes me guess that Seinen fans are finally clueing in :) That, and they also followed the pattern of larger, pricier books aimed at a niche market willing to pay for said books]

So yeah, it's definitely a case of a different range of fandom, and one that is generally not pro-piracy.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd say BL scanlators are actually pretty good. They take down titles when asked to.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The less scan groups the better. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'd say BL scanlators are actually pretty good. They take down titles when asked to.

Yes, there are some who still believe that promoting their fandom also means not competing with the very industry that feeds their fandom. Unfortunately, they have become the minority.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Yes, compared to the angst-ridden "I think back to all the hours I spent illegally uploading rips and scanlations of other people's hard work" posting at OneManga, there are announcements like:
Quote:
In compliance with the Cease and Desist letter that was sent to us on behalf of Libre Publishing Co.,Ltd. we have removed all download links to their projects and will no longer host any download links from that publisher. To do so we have taken all project pages offline for editing.

And:
Quote:
On Libre's request, we have removed all download links and dropped the current/upcoming projects under their label. Please check this page for the list of titles.

And mixed into the comments about greedy publishers and it will just backfire are comments like:
Quote:
Aw man, we saw this comming right? i just regret to stop reading the mori no company since the next couple seems so sweet, but sigh, is their desition right? Sannen... I don't think the kindle idea is good but let's just hope that this goes in a good direction... argh!
thank you girls for your hard hork and the pleasure to give "Still..." and keep up the hard working!
Ganbatte!

and:

Quote:
Well, sure I'm sad and annoyed, but what shall I say, they are in the right. So what does it bring to get worked up over it or insult them? Every unauthorized copying of artists works is an illegal act. We can just be glad they let it slide for so long and that most of the publishers still do. Let's just hope others won't follow too soon.
And the argument with the greedy publishers, my goodness, they have to survive as well. And whats the sense of a company if it's not for making money? So I won't judge them, instead I will try to sneak off as much of their titles through the net in the future as well. haha there are always sources . And I will also still buy Libre's books in the future. They have a lot of my fav artists working for them and I don't even need to look inside a book of Ike Reibun, Hatoko Machiya, Haruko Moto, Modoru Motoni, Yamane Ayano, Nekota Yonezou and all these others beforehand to know I will love them and buy them unconditionally.

That being said I thank BS's staff for all the accurate and excellent work on Libre's titles in the past and I'm looking forward to the passion you will put into other publishers works in the future as well.

P.S. I just found out that Katekyo will have a third volume! *thrilled* YAY!!!!! <333

But for some funny reason even the negative reactions among the BL crowd does not seem to have a lot of "I WILL FIND THESE PEOPLE AND TEAR THEIR HEADS OFF THEIR NECKS" kind of reaction. Is that kind of more to be expected from shonen fans?
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Is that surprising? A lot of shonen fans are, well... shonen. Younger angsty boys that think they're always right and will not listen to any sort of logic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Indeed, the scanlators themselves were never really the "problem" in the BL community (with the exception of a couple bad apples I could name, but won't here). I'd say it's more some of the fans that were always the problem, when they chose not to respect licenses or support titles by buying them in English, and particularly the individuals that would continue to distribute scanlations or worse, scan the actual English volumes and post them to aggregator sites.

I don't know that we'll really see much of an influx of angry newbie posters here as a response to this news, since the BL community has known about the Libre notices for several weeks already, and (most of) the scanlators already complied. That, and yes, BL fandom seems far more willing to protect itself by supporting legitimate releases than I've noticed other genres doing. It might be partially due to the fact that BL fandom is populated by many more adult women than other genres (comparatively). It's also weird to think about it, since the manga industry is so small here, but BL fandom is even smaller and every single volume sold makes a difference in its viability and the fandom is keenly aware of that.

Really what many of us are doing is sitting back and waiting for Libre to make something of this move, other than simply stopping the scanlators, we're hoping to see more legitimate scans that we're perfectly willing to pay money to read. So far they've only really reposted formerly available English releases from now-defunct licensees and a few Japanese-language releases on Kindle. They really need to work with an English licencing company or something to start translating serialized titles that were formerly being scanlated.
loka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
If the artist does quality work, they will have money for "groceries." Unless the publisher is f***ing them over - which seems much more of the problem than free promotion. But I guess if you want to hide the quality of your product, you must feel pretty insecure about it to keep it away from people before they cough up the money.

And don't say any silly things about bookstores and libraries; this is BL we are talking about.

It's an amazing thing how so many artists are living in Japan, what with the availability of practically every manga chapter online in some form. You'd think they all would have starved to death. Copyright infringement is not a lost sale, people. Unless you published utter crap that no one wants. Then it's probably a lost 'sucker' sale.

Last edited by loka on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It's an artist's right to make their work available online or to keep it print only if they want to. And according to Ed Chavez of Vertical, digital rights lie with the artists, so they're the ones making the choice to offer them digitally if they are being offered so [ Simon Jones of Icarus has stated that since they're smaller companies, mature reader manga publishers tend to be more open to digital editions, which is why he's offered some].

And either way, a publisher screwing over artists isn't free permission for you the reader to do the same. Show them some respect. They work insane hours, and it takes a long time and a lot of creativity to make comics. I think most fans have no sweet clue what sort of skills it really takes to get published, then make a living at it.

Saying stuff like " you must feel pretty insecure about it to keep it away from people before they cough up the money." is just a slap in the face, and a horrible way to treat someone, especially if you're a "fan" of their work. Show a little empathy and decency to the nice ladies who slave away to make comics for you.

loka wrote:
And don't say any silly things about bookstores and libraries; this is BL we are talking about.

Actually, I've seen those titles in both those places, usually shelved seperately from the "kids" manga/comic sections, alongside stuff like Dark Horse and VIZ's seinen titles [I love that the SigIkki titles are *everywhere*. It's so convienent]. Not a fan of it, but it's everywhere, and the fangirls I know are always buying it pretty easily. Mature reader manga is a booming market lately it seems- the people are DMP are nice, friendly, helpful folks, and are doing a good job with their material [I know the Vampire Hunter D manga has been a big hit for them, in terms of their general readers stuff].

http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=digital+manga+june&qt=results_page

Last edited by Paploo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
If the artist does quality work, they will have money for "groceries." Unless the publisher is fscking them over - which seems much more of the problem than free promotion. But I guess if you want to hide the quality of your product, you must feel pretty insecure about it to keep it away from people before they cough up the money.

That is a weak argument as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter how good the art is or the writing or how accurate the translation is,if some people can get it for free from a scan site then that's what they will do ,it has nothing to do with the quality of the product.

Quote:

Well I don't read BL so I never looked for it on the book shelf so I can't comment on that part.

Quote:
It's an amazing thing how so many artists are living in Japan, what with the availability of practically every manga chapter online in some form. You'd think they all would have starved to death. Copyright infringement is not a lost sale, people.

You're partly right on that I guess, for a lot of people if they couldn't get it on line for free then they wouldn't be reading it at all so they shouldn't count for any thing as far as sales lost or other wise go. Hell, sometimes I wounder if people who use scans are really fans or if they are just bored and looking for something to kill time with.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Those girls have no back bone. I'm sure they will still do it under a different name. It is the internet after all. Change a few things you become a different person.

As part of a yahoo BL group I can say from most of the other posters that use scans BL fans are much more in the old fansub spirit where once a title is licensed the scans more often than not go away.
I like to think it's why yaoi has done as well as it has in the US-our support for the publishers.
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.
There is a thread of thought that Someone reported specific scanlation groups to Libre. Groups working on well known Libre titles.
And that C&D notices were sent only to these groups in response to the report.
If this is true, it's a damn shame because Libre was probably pushed into taking action earlier than they're ready to release most titles as ebooks.

So there's going to be a longish period where Libre manga will drop out of sight and popularity, to be replaced by other publisher's titles in the minds of fans.
And it has also created a lot of bad feeling and suspicion all around.
Between fans & Libre, and also within fan groups -
because who knows if there's a RAT waiting to report you to the authorities.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
Hmm.
There is a thread of thought that Someone reported specific scanlation groups to Libre. Groups working on well known Libre titles.
If this is true, it's a damn shame because Libre was probably pushed into taking action earlier than they're ready to release most titles as ebooks.

The notion that someone had to "tell on" the scanlation groups is silly ~ Libre is part of an alliance of publishers sending out legal notices to thirty of the highest traffic manga viewer sites. The contents of thirty of the highest traffic manga viewer sites would be all the opportunity they need to find out which groups were scanlating their works that are not licensed for US release

It may be a commonly held theory that scanlations of unlicensed works supports the market for licensed work, but the people that have to be convinced of that theory are the publishers being infringed upon.

If Libre has the alternate view that distribution of scanlations of unlicensed works limits the market for their licensed works, that's the theory that decides whether or not they ask for works to be taken down.
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
Hmm.

And it has also created a lot of bad feeling and suspicion all around.
Between fans & Libre, and also within fan groups -
because who knows if there's a RAT waiting to report you to the authorities.

You know, a simple Google search will easily bring up which groups are illegally translating a particular manga. It's not that hard after all. And the task is made easier because the scanlation groups provided their group names and website addresses either on the chapter cover or on a separate credits page. It's part of the whole "ego" thing.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming they probably did just find it all on google, or maybe it was forward to tehm by their domestic licensing partners- who also would of found it on google, or on the pirate sites their trying to take down. I wonder if ego-driven fantranslators will die off, as the way they push their work online makes them very easy for companies to track down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5