• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Casshern In: Anime Remakes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
The To Terra manga is actually by Keiko Takemiya

Aw hell. Zac, could you change that? I ripped out the whole column in a single session and I think my brain just automatically plugged in the wrong Showa 24 manga-ka.

Of your list, I'm fond of BGC2040 as well. The BGC "universe" (Crisis, Crash, 2040, Parasite Dolls, and both AD Polices) will probably be the subject of a column eventually.

Mr Adventure wrote:
I've been trying to track down the DVD copy of Casshan Robot Hunter for ages. And wish someone would put Neo-Human Casshern in a Sub-only box set.

See, intellectually I realize that this stuff goes out of print, but it does throw me for a loop that the Casshan DVD costs $50+ used from eBay and Amazon. This stuff used to be so abundant.

I also now recall that there are two single-disc releases, not a 2-disc version - earlier release is the dub-only "movie" cut, the re-release is bilingual and presented in its original form as 4 separate episodes.

As for sub-only releases of the '73 original, I could get behind that. Hell, do that with Polymar, Time Bokan, Gold Lightan... all the great 60s-80s Tatsunoko shows. I will do a column on the studio, because the world needs to know about Muteking.

Pandadice wrote:

Overall very enjoyable read. Your's is one column where the wall of text doesn't discourage me, but actually excites me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm of two minds about my approach to this column - on one hand, I get nervous that I'm spraying too damn much text at y'all (I think just about all of mine so far are 2,500+ words). On the other hand, I think an awful lot of anime journalism is too quick n' dirty - deliberation over this stuff can be really good. Anyway, as long as Zac doesn't complain about the sometimes absurd length (I realize the Tezuka one was pretty ridiculous) I'll keep submitting 'em.

Showsni wrote:
Hm, somehow I came away from this with the Moomin's theme song stuck in my head...

Sit tight, Moomin's getting his own column in the coming months. :D I'm a big fan of the Tove Jansson books, but am still tracking down the various anime versions (I've got the UK dub that is released on DVD, but I know there are a few more). I've also heard talk of a new CG Moomin co-pro between a Japanese and Western company.

Raoh wrote:
I really enjoy sequels and continuations of stuff, like Macross Frontier and new Fist of the North Star stuff. The original stuff is classic, but seeing it with new fluid animation and in HD just adds a whole new way of viewing.

I've maintained for years that a great way to bring some life back to UC Gundam would be to simply re-animate the three films with modern, HD animation. Kind of like how they redid the soundtrack with all of the original actors to get a clearer mix a decade back, only without that gasbag Tomino rearranging all of the musical cues, seemingly at random. Dammit, that third movie just ain't right without "Meguriai" playing over the finale.

Charred Knight wrote:
I am actually shocked Mike didn't mention either Hellsing Ultimate or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as those are the two remakes that most people have seen the original anime version. Though that might be because both are closer adaptations of the manga.

I talked about them a bit in my first draft, but ended up leaving that stuff out, possibly for a future column. Remember, this is a subject that's easily rich enough to revisit a few times, like the obscure super robots one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Revisiting remakes for a column could be fun- live action remakes would be keen to see profiled, considering many are available domestically [Cutey Honey, Devilman, the Gegege no Kitaro movies, Dororo etc.]

Mike Toole wrote:
Paploo wrote:
The To Terra manga is actually by Keiko Takemiya

Aw hell. Zac, could you change that? I ripped out the whole column in a single session and I think my brain just automatically plugged in the wrong Showa 24 manga-ka.

Of your list, I'm fond of BGC2040 as well. The BGC "universe" (Crisis, Crash, 2040, Parasite Dolls, and both AD Polices) will probably be the subject of a column eventually.

Doooooo it!
Howevers silly ANN's forums get, I really appreciate that they've somehow wrangled all my fave anime/manga reviewers into writing reviews and columns for them.

I love BGC's universe- even the cheesy AD Police TV series and the Crash OVA are fun bits. I hope they decide to go back to it someday and add more to it.

I think Casshan also pops up in the Time Bokan OVA CPM released.

Have you gotten D&Quarterly's collections of the Moomin comic strips? They're insanely pretty in their design, and the comic is very whimsical and fun- it's really inspiring stuff.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay, I'm trying to think of some clever Yogi Bear-related joke to crack, but really, just seeing the trailer for that thing fills me with revulsion.

Just d/l Booboo Runs Wild from John K. That's all you need. Wink

Quote:
The anime business would continue to mine the 60s with fare like 1993's 8 Man After, based on Jiro Kuwata and Kazumasa Hirai's famous cyborg crimefighter. Okay, this one bills itself as a sequel, but with its new protagonist and radically different style and tone, it's easier to let it stand alone.

Don't forget the live-action film.

Quote:
The list is a hell of a lot longer than just the 60s - subsequent decades would see revisits of Sally the Witch, Moomin, and the various iterations of Captain Harlock.

Most of the Harlock stuff are technically either re-imaginings or spin-offs. I think the new film would be the first official remake.

Quote:
More recently, we've had new versions of classics like Glass Mask, Yattaman, Toward the Terra, Ah! My Goddess, and Guyver, with decidedly mixed results.

I don't count OMG, because the tv show can basically be considered an extended version of the OVA.

Quote:
beyond that, it's a so-so affair that I look back at and think, "Well, this used to be good enough."

If you're trying to sell it to a newer generation of fans, it's pretty good. Better than Sins, anyway.

Quote:
It's one of those movies with a strong enough concept and just enough good stuff that you'll find yourself doing mental cartwheels to justify watching it before throwing your hands up at its haltingly stupid ending.

I'm happy with it. It's the End of Eva movie I would've liked to have seen.

As for my favorite anime remake, that would have to be Area 88. The gold standard for modernizing an older concept. Though the only movie remakes I like so far are the 30s Wizard of Oz, Scarface, and if you compare them to the Corman version, Fantastic 4.

Paploo: I don't consider the Utena movie a remake as much as a reboot. And Macross Plus is more like a spin-off. Will agree with you on Appleseed, though. Seriously underrated.

Zac: Yeah, I know. The horror...And I actually liked the 80s Chipmunks, that is until that cartoon movie spin-off. Personally, though, I'd like to see more Ducktales, but only if it doesn't suffer the same fate as Loonatics.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Bubblegum Crisis, I'm actually watching the original OVA right now for the first time. I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. But I'll bring that up whenever Tooles gets around to a BGC column.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting column. I don't really know much about the original source material for Casshern Sins -or any of the works preceding it- but looking at the historical context is always useful. In addition, I'm glad that I wasn't the only one getting some Saint Seiya vibes...then again, it's relatively understandable given that the director did a lot of good work on said franchise back in the day but it certainly didn't get much exposure in the U.S.

Still need to check out (both of) the new Birdy the Mighty series though. The original OVA was fairly entertaining, from what little I can vaguely recall, if not something that left a lasting impression on me. Might as well try watching it again in the meanwhile.

By the way, I'm already looking forward to your future column on Cyborg 009.

Paploo wrote:

Orguss 02- Another overlooked remake with a snazzy animation style and a very complete story that like Gunsbuster, ties into the original in a way that makes it it's own story, but held onto the original.

I really couldn't let this one pass...Orguss 02 is great fun as a standalone OVA, perhaps being more watchable than the series, but as a sequel it absolutely misses the mark. The use of retroactive continuity is rather annoying to behold and makes the ending of the original seem almost meaningless. I'm not going to spoil anything here, but...what the hell were they thinking? The story wasn't asking for any kind of continuation.

Unlike Diebuster, which in spite of its radically different style managed to respect what Gunbuster accomplished, I felt that Orguss 02 was a complete disservice to its predecessor and makes more sense when considered as a completely original, unrelated work. Which is what it was, essentially, since none of the two productions really share any of their main creative staff and I guess those assigned to the sequel were trying too hard to come up with something new.

Quote:

Phoenix- a really fantastic, epic take on the original manga, though I think most of the stories it adapted hadn't been animated before.

Curiously enough...reading the manga made me realize that the TV series is a bit inferior, in all honesty, but considering the Phoenix anime served as my introduction to the material and also jump-started my overall interest in Osamu Tezuka in the process...I can't disagree here. Wonderful stuff.

penguintruth wrote:
Yasuhiro Imagawa should be in charge of all anime remakes. Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, Tetsujin-28, all amazing revisions.

I've only seen the first couple of those myself but it's already apparent that Imagawa has more than enough talent and the proper sensibilities to be considered an expert in the field of remakes.

If only he wouldn't keep teasing sequels that never come... Wink
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's not Imagawa's fault that G Gundam is the only series his remembered by in Japan. I think Giant Robo is more respected in America than it is in Japan.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Giant Robo the Animation is f---ing AMAZING.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Mike:
Quote:
See, intellectually I realize that this stuff goes out of print, but it does throw me for a loop that the Casshan DVD costs $50+ used from eBay and Amazon. This stuff used to be so abundant.

It probably still is abundant, but these so-called dealers think they can scalp you out of anything nowadays. Hell, I've seen used copies of Baoh being priced as high as $80, and there's no way it would've even been worth half that dough at the height of the bubble when you still had Tenchi sets costing as much as $120.

juan:
Quote:
The use of retroactive continuity is rather annoying to behold and makes the ending of the original seem almost meaningless.

Yeah, I had a similar problem with the Nadesico movie, though I got rid of all of that series after that, while I only jettisoned the Orguss OVA. I dug Nadesico, but if you're done with the show, there's not much replay value.

Quote:
Curiously enough...reading the manga made me realize that the TV series is a bit inferior, in all honesty, but considering the Phoenix anime served as my introduction to the material and also jump-started my overall interest in Osamu Tezuka in the process...I can't disagree here. Wonderful stuff.

Yeah, I'd rather see the OVAs and movies myself. It'd especially be nice if a nameless company [*cough* Discotek *cough*] brought back Space Firebird 2772.
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
I'm of two minds about my approach to this column - on one hand, I get nervous that I'm spraying too damn much text at y'all (I think just about all of mine so far are 2,500+ words). On the other hand, I think an awful lot of anime journalism is too quick n' dirty - deliberation over this stuff can be really good.

Long columns have their place, and there's clearly an audience for this one. I don't usually have a comment to offer, but I always read and enjoy. The deeper level of discussion you offer is much appreciated, so type away!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
Well, I like that the piece is long because thought was put into the subject, not that Mike made it long to make it appear as if there's substance to what he's saying. It's great to read. No TLDR from me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
^^^ What they said ^^^

I like long columns when they actually got content to em. It is when they are long just for the sake of being long and drawn out (like a high school/college essay, what an exercise in BS'ing that was, being forced to drag out over pages what you could say in 2 paragraphs...) that I got a problem.

That said, you KNOW there are some die-hard fans of the original Casshan out there right now crying that <insert Japan's version of Hollywood here> "ruined" the show Laughing
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, mike could have saved me from a lot of BS'ing in my college essays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elreicht

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Very informative article, sir. Though it seems that your opinions run contrary to Erin's review of Casshern Sins Part 2.

animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2010-09-20
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Really? The community would never point that out. Wink
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
elreicht wrote:
Very informative article, sir. Though it seems that your opinions run contrary to Erin's review of Casshern Sins Part 2.

animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2010-09-20

Well, this may come as a surprise, but I think this discrepancy is proof positive that Erin and I are not, in fact, the same person. I've even managed to uncover PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE of this phenomenon!
http://ninjaconsultant.com/images/MangaManiaPanelAB2010.jpg

(she's the pretty woman on the far left partly obscured by the MacBook; I'm the fat doofus in the red shirt)

To get back to the bitching about cartoons: I liked Orguss 02-- Manning is a FANTASTIC character-- but felt a bit let down at the end. I could accept the alt-reality stuff, but once the Colonel showed up I got all excited and waited to se the hooks to the original-- but it all amounted to a 30-second flashback. Oh well, maybe they can try another sequel sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4