• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Time Jam: Valerian and Laureline

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
But only in America.

God, France is RIGHT THERE and they still can't keep thier hand straight.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Valerian
And it's not Van Buskirk.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
But only in America.

God, France is RIGHT THERE and they still can't keep thier hand straight.

Satelight doesn't even have the French rights to sell.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds cool, I'll check it out the next time hulu goes wonky on me (soooooo probably later tonight if the first few are up).
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
hmm sounds interesting I will check it out when I get the time
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of this and then I see the date - this one went totally under the radar. 40 episodes too!

Is this going the be considered "anime" and included in the encyclopedia like we do other franco-japan productions like Ulysses and MCoG?

I must admit, when I first saw "Valerian" I thought of something else entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
just saw the trailer and seems like more of an old action cartoon you would watch late 80's early 90's thou I think ill give it a chance because I like the style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lpviZOdVM
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Didn't know there was an animated version. Have a couple of the albums in English.
crunchycat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
The first episode was kinda tripy but not a bad series ill watch up to ep 3 and give it my yes or no in that but I think it's something worth checking out
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, I remember reading about the announcement on ANN, and then it fell off the face of earth. I remember wondering several times over the years, what happened to the project since it never produced anything. It seems this was never translated and thus never made its way to torrent aggregation sites, which is responsible for high level of ignorance.

crunchycat wrote:

If they wanted to make it cartoony, they succeeded quite well. If not for the character designs, I would have been tempted to ask if this was really made by a Japanese animation studio, except that the production values seem a little too high for your token cartoon. The style and the trailer however makes me wonder just how faithful this is, it looks like a nonstop action cartoon, which the original comic is not.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
crunchycat wrote:
The first episode was kinda tripy but not a bad series ill watch up to ep 3 and give it my yes or no in that but I think it's something worth checking out

I watched the first few episodes and its pretty good. Nothing amazing but not a whole lot of good sci-fi anime coming out anymore. There are some really cheesy cringe moment but they are far and few between.

It does have a someone interesting story and the CG isnt to annoying and there is not a ton of it so that good. It definitely has a 60/70s feel to it. Not that it a bad thing. The art style reminds me a little of 009.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:

If they wanted to make it cartoony, they succeeded quite well. If not for the character designs, I would have been tempted to ask if this was really made by a Japanese animation studio, except that the production values seem a little too high for your token cartoon. The style

My head hurts after reading this.

Anyway, looks interesting, I just wish it was subtitles in its native French language on Crunchyroll. Disappointed its only a dub.
Duamerthrax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:

If they wanted to make it cartoony, they succeeded quite well. If not for the character designs, I would have been tempted to ask if this was really made by a Japanese animation studio, except that the production values seem a little too high for your token cartoon. The style

Anyway, looks interesting, I just wish it was subtitles in its native French language on Crunchyroll. Disappointed its only a dub.

I'm not sure that there's even been a Japanese language version yet. There's some speculation that the two studios didn't get along and I know it hasn't aired in Japan yet.

edit: I just reread your post and noticed you were referring to the French dub. They most likely bought the rights from Japan and HAD to dub it. Getting the French version would mean dealing with a whole 'nother company.
crunchycat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:

I would probably have much less interest if it was in French dubs with subs, just because I've seen a few animes in french and usually the Voice Acting is pretty bad. I'll gladly stick with Japanese dub and english subs.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
[...] The style and the trailer however makes me wonder just how faithful this is, it looks like a nonstop action cartoon, which the original comic is not.

It is rather action oriented, and clearly a show aimed at a young audience, but the overall spirit of the original material remains though. And once filler eps are removed, the story is quite nice and respectful to the comics, even if considerably different in its events and facts

I don't remember where I read this any more, it was some years ago, but Mézières has been quoted saying that he found this adaptation very faithful to his work with Christin

This last one didn't declare anything AFAIK, probably because he was working on finishing the comics series definitively...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2