• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime Project Launching

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:

Rage is certainly not a character trait, but being angry certainly is. And the Golden Age arc is less than 1/4 of the series. A good portion of the series is Guts going around on a rampage (Vol 1-3, the Eclipse, vol 14-17, rescuing Caska, obtaining the Berserker Armor: a cursed item that runs off of the rage of it's user), so I certainly wouldn't claim that Guts is happy most of the time. Although I definitely agree that he is a subtle person.

a lot of that would have mattered if the anime wasn't 99% the golden age arc. Lets not get off track i was referring to the anime and specifically Marc Diraison's portrayal.

on a side note however i think a lot people go into watching and reading berserk not expecting the kind of depth, subtlety and characterization prominent in the series. Its one of the reasons i like it so much.

Quote:
've seen Berserk in it's entirety 3-4 times with the English dub, and around half of the series in Japanese(Skipping around mind, you. I was in the mood for some of the most memorable parts of Berserk, and I gave them a shot in Japanese because I was feeling adventurous.) I just didn't feel that it was any better than the English dub, so I didn't pursue it any further. Although I've played the PS2 game, and the game obviously was Japanese audio only, so I've experienced it at that level too. I just don't feel that the Japanese audio is any better than the English. I treat it very much like Hellsing. Hellsing has an all-star cast in the Japanese dub, but despite that, I and many others find the English dub to just be better.

you may want to take the time and watch it from beginning to end in Japanese, once you have time to get used to voices it becomes easier to make out the not so obvious things about the performances. BTW i would also like to note that i do enjoy the dub of Hellsing as well.

GAH! i'm crazy jealous of you getting to play the PS2 game!
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
guitarist52692 wrote:

Rage is certainly not a character trait, but being angry certainly is. And the Golden Age arc is less than 1/4 of the series. A good portion of the series is Guts going around on a rampage (Vol 1-3, the Eclipse, vol 14-17, rescuing Caska, obtaining the Berserker Armor: a cursed item that runs off of the rage of it's user), so I certainly wouldn't claim that Guts is happy most of the time. Although I definitely agree that he is a subtle person.

a lot of that would have mattered if the anime wasn't 99% the golden age arc. Lets not get off track i was referring to the anime and specifically Marc Diraison's portrayal.

on a side note however i think a lot people go into watching and reading berserk not expecting the kind of depth, subtlety and characterization prominent in the series. Its one of the reasons i like it so much.

Quote:
've seen Berserk in it's entirety 3-4 times with the English dub, and around half of the series in Japanese(Skipping around mind, you. I was in the mood for some of the most memorable parts of Berserk, and I gave them a shot in Japanese because I was feeling adventurous.) I just didn't feel that it was any better than the English dub, so I didn't pursue it any further. Although I've played the PS2 game, and the game obviously was Japanese audio only, so I've experienced it at that level too. I just don't feel that the Japanese audio is any better than the English. I treat it very much like Hellsing. Hellsing has an all-star cast in the Japanese dub, but despite that, I and many others find the English dub to just be better.

you may want to take the time and watch it from beginning to end in Japanese, once you have time to get used to voices it becomes easier to make out the not so obvious things about the performances. BTW i would also like to note that i do enjoy the dub of Hellsing as well.

GAH! i'm crazy jealous of you getting to play the PS2 game!

To be quite honest, the game isn't that great. I'd give it a 6/10 with the advantage that it's a Berserk game, but if I were to judge it alone on merit it'd probably get a 4 or 5. It's very repetitive and some areas are just way too long, that you actually get bored of slashing demons to pieces. And the boss battles are kinda cool, but the counters are very boring to see happen the same exact way every time. The coolest thing in the game is wearing the Berserker armor, and you only get to wear it for about 10 minutes.

EDIT: Also, regarding our discussion of Marc Diraison, while you feel he didn't handle Guts's character well during the first anime because of Guts's happy and subtle appearances at times, I was more referring to how Marc is PERFECT for a new adaptation of Berserk. It'll have the Golden Age at only around 1/4 of the show, and Marc will be able to do his best at angry Guts. However, I also feel that now that he's had a lot more experience in dubbing, what with being an ADR director and having worked on more productions, that I'm sure he'd do a fantastic job on a brand new Berserk dub.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
New tweet on the official site saying the Berserk manga will resume serialization on the 23rd, by the way. Quite possible that we'll need to wait until then for any announcement :/.

g0rth mentions that the "Coming Soon" item on the official Berserk site is somewhat suspicious. Maybe I'm just blind, but I didn't notice that last week. Edit: Oh, apparently it's been there for ages. (Since 2008, perhaps? Razz Still a possibility).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't willing to let myself believe that they were ever going to do another Berserk anime. With Hellsing Ultimate and doing a new OVA series and FMA doing a new TV series, I thought it might be possible, but given that the first Berserk series aired in 1997/98 and the manga has been going for so long with no obvious end in sight, I didn't want to get my hopes up.

The timing of this is pretty good since we've practically caught up to Japan, so there will eventually be Berserk anime to help make the wait between manga volumes easier.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
Miura mentioned in the latest issue of Young Animal that "For people not yet in high school it will be the first Berserk anime." So, confirmed, but still no information on the ETA or release format.

(On an unrelated note, people not yet in high school probably shouldn't be watching it in the first place...)
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
To be quite honest, the game isn't that great. I'd give it a 6/10 with the advantage that it's a Berserk game, but if I were to judge it alone on merit it'd probably get a 4 or 5. It's very repetitive and some areas are just way too long, that you actually get bored of slashing demons to pieces. And the boss battles are kinda cool, but the counters are very boring to see happen the same exact way every time. The coolest thing in the game is wearing the Berserker armor, and you only get to wear it for about 10 minutes.
Doesn't sound like you busted your ass to unlock all 10 secret weapons. What a waste. I use Zodd's sword with great pride. Did you even level up all the familiars? You saw the same counters because you didn't level Guts up. And Of course you think the Dub is better, you obviously can't speak or read Japanese. Damn it man.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
guitarist52692 wrote:
Doesn't sound like you busted your ass to unlock all 10 secret weapons. What a waste. I use Zodd's sword with great pride. Did you even level up all the familiars? You saw the same counters because you didn't level Guts up. And Of course you think the Dub is better, you obviously can't speak or read Japanese. Damn it man.

Or it could be that he preferred it for a totally different reason. I really can't stand the attitude that someone isn't "appreciating" the work because they prefer it in their native language. There really is no reason to take such a tone with someone else because they happen to disagree with you.
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
guitarist52692 wrote:

Huh? I did get all ten weapons, none of which are interesting, just reskins with slightly different ranges. Guts was fully leveled, and his counters against bosses do not change, despite what you claim.

And lol @ that last comment. I imagine that in a sub v dub argument, neither party would know Japanese. That's the reason we're not watching the Japanese dub with no subs. Regardless, I don't like the voices, and while the acting is damn good in the sub, I think it's also great in the dub. Do you really need to get all elitist about it?
RyoGTO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
OMG This makes me so happy and as cliche as it may sound it really IS a dream come true. So, in your FACE all you pessimistic jerks who claimed authority enough to spout out that there would never be anymore Berserk anime!

You are probably the same people who are already nitpicking and moaning about what it MIGHT be like or might not be like, it is a really terrible sight to behold. I pity you people who can find nothing but problems in things you don't even know or understand! Why can you not just revel in the greatness that you can at least now have HOPE for another great Berserk anime rather than having none at all... are you really that frightened of being let down? Stop judging something that isn't even out yet! Honestly, how would it be THAT bad. No matter what--it is Kentaro Miura's Berserk we are talking about... It's going to be good, whether you like it or not, it'll be better than 99% of the garbage that is out. And if for some hellish reason that it isn't, oh well, you still have the manga releases and the amazing original anime,

And that brings up another thing here! What is with you people saying "Oh don't remake it, I liked the original, just continue from that!" ... It isn't as if a remake/reboot will erase the original from history, you can still watch the DVDs any time you want, it isn't going anywhere no matter what this version does. Relax and enjoy the fact that we have something to look forward to, it's more Berserk... if you cannot tell, I AM HAPPY!

This has scenes from both the golden age and after the golden age, we have skull knight, puck, caska and griffith (pre AND post), Zodd from his first encounter etc... This is going to be a reboot, that is what these imply and unless they are pulling our legs, that is what it is and there is no reason to doubt otherwise. There was also more gore (dismemberment) in that still from the leaks than there was in almost all of the fights in these previous Berserk anime. And that Caska has leaves covering her (in the cave after they fall into the river) is even more true to the manga then the first one.
spiritmercator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you guys have seen these yet, but I was able to find these links.
http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/cm/index.html
This one has trailers (o_o actual trailers) that they "say" are supposedly scenes from the sequel in the making. I recognized the scenes from the manga, so i freaked, but I'm trying to stay somewhat skeptical. http://twitter.com/berserk_project/
And then there was a twitter page that had some relevant info on the subject Smile I hope this helps out everyone with the weight of Berserk still heavy on their hearts Anime cry
shamurai7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
well according to the twitter there is a major announcement on January 8th! stay tuned everyone!
shamurai7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So apparently im the only Real Berserk fan here....So i'll post for my own benefit. NewType magazine has an article for Feb issue with some info. It will cover the entirety of the manga and be released as movies ala Hellsing Ultimate style. Apparently the first is to show mid 2011. Still unsure of Miura's announcement on the 8th that could have more news.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
shamurai7 wrote:
So apparently im the only Real Berserk fan here....So i'll post for my own benefit. NewType magazine has an article for Feb issue with some info. It will cover the entirety of the manga and be released as movies ala Hellsing Ultimate style. Apparently the first is to show mid 2011.

Actually, yeah. You are posting this purely for your own benefit. ANN already posted an article detailing all of this yesterday. There was a whole big thread about it with dozens of people responding.

I guess you were too busy being a 'real fan' to notice. Rolling Eyes
shamurai7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Actually, yeah. You are posting this purely for your own benefit. ANN already posted an article detailing all of this yesterday. There was a whole big thread about it with dozens of people responding.

I guess you were too busy being a 'real fan' to notice. Rolling Eyes

OK well great! link maybe? I type 'new berserk anime' in a search and this is the only result i get. I noticed no one even posts in the thread anymore so it seemed dead like no one cared.
Dissevered

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I hope this just isn't BS. I could never understand how companies put out 2nd rate anime while they have a series like Berserk left unfinished. Anyone I know who has seen it loves it. I personally have never seen a better anime in my life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15