• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: XSeed to Release Unchained Blades on 3DS on January 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
No physical release no sale, Id rather buy an import copy second hand on ebay than this crap. Actually thats probably what I will do. For Christ sake, even if you dont want to sell it in store, you can sell it on your won website or amazon like they did with Ragnarock Tactics. Physically printing and packaging a game costs cents, with all the cost in localization, so I see for download only.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, if you're going to bother localizing a niche title like this 90% of the people who are going to buy it are going to be collector types who want a nice box to put on their shelf. Bleh. Digital only = no thanks.
blarg01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Digital is here and it's going to stay, sorry to say. It's just crap on the nintendo consoles till they actually have a working account tied to said games and systems. Till then, I'm good with just the two games I bought from the eshop, push/crashmo, since I'm not too worried if I lose/break/get console stolen, and they're lost forever.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Physically printing and packaging a game costs cents

With someone who has actually discussed this sort of thing with XSEED employees, you could NOT be more wrong. It is indeed pricey (you don't just pay for the plastic, you PAY the company to press all of the games, ship them all etc.) and there's A LOT more to it, and for a company of just over SIX PEOPLE TOTAL, they don't have a lot of extra cash to take the chances at releasing niche stuff as retail all the time. If they can, they will, if it's not in the cards, they try to release it however they can. Just because Aksys can, doesn't mean XSEED is able to, either.

I just hate seeing ignorant comments like this, when people assume it's cheap and easy...
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I buy the games to play them , not to see how shiny they look on my shelf. If digital only is what it takes to get certain titles here , its more than welcomed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Physically printing and packaging a game costs cents

With someone who has actually discussed this sort of thing with XSEED employees, you could NOT be more wrong. It is indeed pricey (you don't just pay for the plastic, you PAY the company to press all of the games, ship them all etc.) and there's A LOT more to it, and for a company of just over SIX PEOPLE TOTAL, they don't have a lot of extra cash to take the chances at releasing niche stuff as retail all the time. If they can, they will, if it's not in the cards, they try to release it however they can. Just because Aksys can, doesn't mean XSEED is able to, either.

Plus, who's to say retail stores would like to stock this anyways?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Plus, who's to say retail stores would like to stock this anyways?

There have been articles too, saying how many retailers don't like many "anime" games on the shelf. Here it is, quoted by XSEED themselves. Showing One Piece on the article too, Europe did get One Piece on PS3 physically, while North America got it as a DD-only title. Happens more times than often now, comparing NA releases to Europe. Sometimes it is the other way around, but not as often...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1