• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why??? [No International Streaming]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myeh015

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Sad why does the videos is not allow to watch in the philippines?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Licenses are divided by regions. Funimation is a North American company and therefore only buys and pays for North American licenses. When they sublicense those titles to us, they only have North American rights to give us.

It's up to the Filipino licensee to grant Internet rights to the party of their choosing.

So what happens when there is no Filipino licensee? Well, it's up to the master licensor in Japan to decide if they want to grant Internet rights to someone who doesn't want DVD rights. They rarely do that, because they're worried that an Internet broadcast might hurt the chances of a future DVD license.

Things are getting much better. A lot of titles do go online without DVD licenses, and there are more and more opportunities for international Internet rights.

The next problem is money. Anime News Network makes $X every time a North American watches an episode. Sadly, we only make $X/20 when someone in the Philippines watches an anime. And $X/20 is less than what we have to pay in bandwidth. So even when we have international rights, doing international streaming would cost us more money than we'd make.

It sucks, and everyone's working to change it.

In the near-term, I think what you'll see is a lot of "pay-only" streaming in the less lucrative markets. Crunchyroll is already doing that in a few territories.

How much would you be willing to pay a month to watch a ton of anime online?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Instead of asking us what we're willing to pay, how about ANN take a proactive approach to list what they can offer us for a specific monthly amount.

The problem with ANN's current method is it gives us no information to reasonably determine if the streaming costs + what we're willing to pay is worth it financially.

I'm not talking about the nitpicking "I watch 10 episodes a week and it costs ANN $0.02 to stream, so I'll pay $0.20/week" types out there. I'm talking about those who will adjust their viewing habits with the allotment ANN gives us.

Here are a few examples:
$1/mo: 50 episodes
$10/mo: 500 episodes
$20/mo: Unlimited access
(pre-purchase by the year and get two months free!)
Remember folks, ANN streams from more than one company so don't compare on a company price per month to ANN PPM)

I only state this because every time ANN seems to ask this question, nothing comes from it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I'm not outside the North America territory license, but just as an example about the more general question, i pay for Crunchyroll even when i don't watch streaming anime just as a way to support the industry. right now its basically 7 bucks a month.

this starts to get even more off-topic, but i'd be willing to pay 10 bucks a month just for this access (that i for the most part don't use), and if they picked up more things that i want to watch (theatrical run anime movies and hard-to-find OVAs, etc) i'd be willing to pay up to 20 bucks a month.

part of why i'm willing to pay them is thanks to the ANNcast with the Crunchy CEO who said the studios and artists involved in making this stuff are getting money based on what the subscribers watch. to me that's the next best thing to having an artist site with a donation button that i can read in english.

if artists or studios did have donation buttons like that, Satoshi Kon's family, Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Makoto Shinkai on the anime side and Taiyo Matsumoto, Yoshitoshi ABe and the team of Eiji Ohtsuka and Hosui Yamazaki (Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service) on the manga side could have 5 bucks of my cash every month too. i have no problems with paying artists directly if possible, or even studios, like I.G. or Bones, especially if i could somehow indicate what my favorite titles by them are, and both they and i could transparently see that fan dollars meant projects would be developed along the lines of fan interest.

so on Crunchy i did watch the Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, etc) shorts and those were really awesome. and La Maison en Petits Cubes, freakin brilliant. i'd love to see more of that kind of thing (short anime films and one-shots) here on ANN or Crunchy. and i'd be willing to pay.

(though, as a collector, i'd much prefer a DVD, or an HD digital copy i could keep. i just don't have faith in the cloud, i guess.)

EDIT: say, just curious: if i'm a North American subscriber and i'm traveling abroad, do I loose streaming access while i'm in another country?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
EDIT: say, just curious: if i'm a North American subscriber and i'm traveling abroad, do I loose streaming access while i'm in another country?

Most definitely.
Current restrictions are such that a user is granted access to a stream only if their location permits it. Purchasing a CR subscription is insufficient for one to overcome geographical blocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:

Not if your laptop can read your DNA.

Or your passport.

But no. If you're outside North America that means you'll be using a foreign IP address.

Anyway, I'd rather stick to a pay-per-view scheme. First you buy credits, then you use it as you watch each video. Needless to say, dubs should cost more, and a monthly rate should be also available alongside free streaming supported by ads.
Now, the price. Funimation's SAVE costs like 50 cents per episode for a copy you can re-watch,re-sell, and lend to friends, but here we have a one time streaming without packing costs, etc.
You can set prices by the quality of streaming (eg. 720 $.30, 1080 $.60, 480 free ad supported).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Not if your laptop can read your DNA.

Or your passport.

But no. If you're outside North America that means you'll be using a foreign IP address.

There are many laptops equipped with fingerprint scanners, but I don't see laptop companies would cooperate with intellectual property licensors to utilize this feature for copyright acquisitions in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I only state this because every time ANN seems to ask this question, nothing comes from it.

We haven't crunched the numbers yet because, we're quite honestly, not in a situation to do this.

When more of out catalog comes from Japanese licensors, as opposed to being sublicensed to us by North American companies, then we can consider offering this option, and we'll spend the time to crunch the numbers.

This is why I ask people what they'd be willing to pay. The information will be handy later when we crunch numbers (if we charge $X we expect A subscribers, if we Charge $Y we might get B subscribers. Compare gross profit in each scenario, compare the headaches of each scenario, compare how happy we make people, then make a decision and offer it.)

When its time to really consider this, we'll do surveys and other research.

For now, it's not on the table.

-t
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Funimation is a North American company and therefore only buys and pays for North American licenses. When they sublicense those titles to us, they only have North American rights to give us.

FUNimation does often gets rights for other territories like the UK and AU, then sub-license DVD rights to Manga and Madman and streams via Youtube. The shows on this list are all ones that FUNi has UK rights to as they are available to view on Youtube.
There are some oddities mind - there seems to be some confusion over the UK rights to FMP:TSR and while none of the Geneon rescues currently on Youtube are available in the UK, Tony from MVM says they are sitting on the UK rights to Chobits and refuse to sub-license to them (MVM distributed Chobits in the UK back when Geneon had it).

Some information regarding regional licensing from Rob Pereyda of Crunchyroll :

"Most licensors wouldn't give us Scandinavia at first. Now, with 10%+ of subscribers from the region, we almost always get it."
"Oftentimes, Company A has the Americas, Company B Europe, and Company C Asia, etc. So with corporate overhead at big companies so high, they simply cannot process a contract for 'small' revenues...they lose money just by signing a deal. To fight this, fans can speak with their wallets like our Scandinavian fans have."
"Now, if a country is all of a sudden making money, then it IS possible to get licensors to notice."
"The issue is monetization which is still derived heavily from subscription outside US/CA."
"There are decent online ad markets in the UK and a few other places, but smaller countries with less users have room to grow."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rij

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I'm an European and as such restricted in what I can legally watch.

I used to have a CR premium account (or whatever it was called) that I purchased solely so that I could watch Durarara as fast as possible. I kept the payments for a little while after that to watch Uraboku and Giant Killing but then Uraboku started annoying me too much to keep with it. Paying for just Giant Killing I could no longer justify, it was a nice show but not a must see. So how much I would be willing to pay would depend on what I was getting for my money. I'm picky about the shows I watch and I belong to a demographic that's mostly ignored, being female and over 30.

To simplyfy, I'd be willing to pay 10-20 € /month for two or more shows that I'd really want to see. Maybe around 5 € for one show. 20 € would probably be a monthly limit I'd be willing to spend on streaming anime. I don't buy DVDs at all.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Rij wrote:
but then Uraboku started annoying me too much to keep with it.

If Yen Press publishes it in the UK (or if it's otherwise available), please give the manga a chance. The anime left out so much, and that's not even counting the gecko ending (which I hated, and I managed to last pretty far into the anime before I realized it was really bad. I did finish it, though).

For the people complaining about having to say how much they'd be willing to pay... Isn't it just common sense, when you are the ones asking for a service?
Company: "We're thinking of offering a service, would you be willing to pay $X?"
People: "We want you to give us a service, we would be willing to pay $X."
The person on the offering/asking side should have to give their price. They're the ones wanting to make the offer look enticing to the other.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Isn't it just common sense, when you are the ones asking for a service?

Therein lies the issue. Subscribers have asked to have ads removed from streaming, but were told it can't be done (though not sure if it's financial or technical).

When we don't know what service is being offered, it's difficult to come up with a price.

As selfish as this may seem, I want my dollar to go as far as possible, just as it does with many sites already out there. CR's monthly minimum is very inexpensive for all it offers as well as Netflix, and both cover more than just anime.

In addition, it's important to look beyond the user's wallet for financial support. Will my subscription here allow ANN to get listed on Boxee (Roku, etc)? If not, why?

What about potential growth? Manga? Old licenses? FUNimation's live action movies (an exclusive on that wouldn't hurt)?

"Service" is a very relative term on the internet because "service" comes down to more content in one place to beat the other guy.

No one makes money on content. Content sells the services, which comes with a price.

ANN can't get this far because of finances, so it's difficult to assess a reasonable price without understanding the limitations it faces.

No one wants to pay multiple times for the same stuff and it's just really hard to warrant a subscription to ANN's service when it's already beat.

I've not made any commitments so far, as my HTPC is still a work in progress, but by 2011, I'll have made up my mind. So far, Crunchyroll's in the lead, followed by Netflix.

If ANN can drop to $3/mo. for anime streaming only, then I'd do Netflix + ANN without question.

However, $3/mo seems insulting, honestly, but that's how I see it with services out there offering nothing different.

Rue the day when Netflix gets SF/S23, Bandai, Viz, and Nozomi/Right Stuf streams in its catalog. This puts ANN out of contention.

It's harsh, but it's also reality.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Rue the day when Netflix gets SF/S23, Bandai, Viz, and Nozomi/Right Stuf streams in its catalog. This puts ANN out of contention.

It's harsh, but it's also reality.

My sarcasmometer may be malfunctioning, but Netflix does stream SF/S23 and some other miscellaneous anime stuff. I am watching Golgo 13 right now. Ghost Hound is up, Mezzo, Clannad (I think), Best Student Council, some of Funimation's live action stuff... I'll fill in some more later.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
My sarcasmometer may be malfunctioning, but Netflix does stream SF/S23 and some other miscellaneous anime stuff.

I did not know this, honestly. I was going to sign up for the free trial around December, when things slowed down a bit.

Now that I know... well, this isn't good for ANN. Netflix just took the lead.
batou37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd pay $5-$10 a month on principle (as long as I knew that some of the money was going back to support the artists) and up to $20 a month for exclusive content in high definition. I can't justify more than $5 a month if it is just a rehash of things that are already streaming elsewhere. For exclusives, whether they are simulcasts or catalog episodes that have either had licenses run out or were never even brought to R1, I could be willing to go up to the $20 mark.....Get kara no kyoukai streaming in 1080p and I'll go ahead and pay for a year at $20 up front. As of right now I'm a premium subscriber to C.R (I have no interest in the drama so it's just the anime membership,) Netflix account, Anime Network premium (or whatever their monthly subscription is called) account, and donating subscriber here. So to my knowledge I already subscribe to every pay service for anime available and I will here too if it has at least a bit of exclusivity <---that is the deciding factor of price I'm willing to pay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2