• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Otome Yokai Zakuro Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I know CR's staff sometimes lurks on this site, so I ask: how many series do you anticipate you will be streaming this year? 9 new ones thus far is pretty impressive so I'm not going to press my luck by listing any I might want, but I am curious whether this is the final one or not.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Well I was thinking about watching that one and if it's streaming on CR then I'll certainly give the first few episodes a shot. And great, this now makes three shows out of the five or six I wanted to check out legally streaming, I'm liking this.
gorbal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I get a real "Natsume Yuujinchou" feeling from this; I hope it's for good reason.

The preview doesn't show how wildly imaginative Lily Hoshino's art can be; I hope the anime will.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I know CR's staff sometimes lurks on this site, so I ask: how many series do you anticipate you will be streaming this year? 9 new ones thus far is pretty impressive so I'm not going to press my luck by listing any I might want, but I am curious whether this is the final one or not.
As I recall, Crunchyroll generated some mini-Internet storms in teacups in Spring in putting up "Question Marks" with dates on the basis of "expectations", and I'd expect they won't be saying anything until they have got the basic deal signed.

Of course, its not only Crunchyroll who may have a substantial number of pick-ups ~ Funimation may be holding their big announcements for NYAF, after all ~ and some production committees may not finalize a deal with Crunchyroll until they know for sure whether Funimation has passed on the stream.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Of course, its not only Crunchyroll who may have a substantial number of pick-ups ~ Funimation may be holding their big announcements for NYAF, after all ~ and some production committees may not finalize a deal with Crunchyroll until they know for sure whether Funimation has passed on the stream.

True; I'm willing to wager BONES is probably hoping for Funimation. Everything that airs tomorrow (Friday) is accounted for thus far, too.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm looking forward to what FUNimation has to show as well. They're usually a week behind on their streams and they've been known to make announcements a few weeks after they've aired so it might be a while before we hear anything from them. I'm willing to be Index season 2 will be among the announcements since they picked up Index and Railgun earlier this year.

Crunchyroll had also made the mistake of making some chest-pounding comments about how much of the winter broadcast they had secured which made their thin offerings for Spring extra disappointing. They seem to have learned their lesson, dropping the "?" boxes and only telling people to basically "stay tuned" rather than making over-reaching comments about having a lot more to come.

They've already named 9 new titles and sequels on top of the five continuing titles and about 10 of those are titles I want to watch (or keep watching) so I'm already happy with the current stock of shows, but I do hope they go for more.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
They seem to have learned their lesson, dropping the "?" boxes and only telling people to basically "stay tuned" rather than making over-reaching comments about having a lot more to come.

They have not dropped the [?] boxes: today's announcement of Otome Yokai Zakuro filled in a [?] box. But they have not had any dates attached to [?] boxes, and the much smaller number likely indicates they do not put any up unless there is a gap between when something is signed and when its agreed to make an announcement.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
There is also actually changes in the reality of things:

2 seasons ago online streaming negotiations were still very very new, and after 6 months there really is somewhat less uncertainty about things. Hence less ? boxes and less changing goalposts.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
They have not dropped the [?] boxes: today's announcement of Otome Yokai Zakuro filled in a [?] box. But they have not had any dates attached to [?] boxes, and the much smaller number likely indicates they do not put any up unless there is a gap between when something is signed and when its agreed to make an announcement.

Oh, I see. The last time I checked for their Fall 2010 listing they hadn't posted it yet. The first time I noticed it had been posted was with the Zakuro announcement so I guess I assumed they launched the listing with the announcement.

samuelp wrote:
There is also actually changes in the reality of things:

2 seasons ago online streaming negotiations were still very very new, and after 6 months there really is somewhat less uncertainty about things. Hence less ? boxes and less changing goalposts.

I don't know that I'm willing to cut them that much slack. By then they were well into their second year and had a very strong Winter 2009 lineup. They also had proven that they were quite capable of making very tough, flexible negotiations when they got Fairy Tail. It's more like they got cocky and thought they had more clout to cherry pick the titles they wanted than they actually did as well as not being prepared for FUNimation and Anime Network/Section 32/Sentai to start using their influences (since it was around that season that they started taking a bigger interest in simulcasts, CR ended up sharing a release with TAN).

They seem to be doing better now, but in all fairness there's a lot of new shows to pick from this season.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1