• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You V: Battle for the Planet of the Apes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
... we might as well include K-ON, Aria, Ga-rei Zero, or Hitohira for that matter. ...
... and, not surprisingly, Erica often reports the Japanese language yuri forums counting several of those as yuri, even if she reckons the yuri in Aria and K-ON! is only there by projection.
...just makes the Japanese grasping straws. ...

Of course, the creators often hand out straws to grasp at.

There is the concept of insertion fantasy, and part of the ambiguity can be a way of pooling together quite distinct markets ~ some of which may not support a manga title or anime series on their own. You have the women and girls who have a range of characters to insert themselves into the place of ~ and some want there to not be any actual yuri, some of them want there to be, and some are OK if its "cool" yuri in some undefined way I am sure I would never understand; the boys and overaged boys who insert themselves in after the girls have their "experimental" love and prefer the lack of male competition; the men who are sick and tired of the pathetic protagonists holding the spot they are supposed to insert themselves into and want something to unwind after a hard day's work without being told who to identify with.

What about being a "spectator of love"; the person who just wants to see two people fall in love and do romantic things without inserting yourself in the scene? For some reason yuri nowadays tends to invoke this ridiculous amount of warm and fuzzy feelings more than watching hetero couples, and most of the time the relationship is nonsexual and rarely smutty. It's almost like it became the next evolution of moe; it's something don't want to "disturb", if you get what I'm saying.

On another note, I've noticed when most yuri goes to the smutty route (maybe on a similar degree as smutty yaoi), it happens on series with guys around and/or have ridiculously over-the-top fanservice like Seikon no Qwaser or Queen's Blade respectively.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
hm, interesting podcast. I like our guest from the military talking about his anime fandom. I like seeing more anime fan like him in the military, help reduce the stereotype about anime fans. Very Happy

I also like the segment about how manga editor job is like, kudo to you Zac and Daniella for this talk.

Now, I haven't got into Yuri but I like the talk about the fabric of society and the relationship between fan and artist Very Happy . It was interesting, I wouldn't be surprise if this exist among fan and American comic book artist.

For the Fall anime season, not a lot of them appeal to me except Samurai girl, Iron Man anime, and Bakuman.

Zac, this was a very good podcast. My gratitude goes to you for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
mdo7, when did you come to the US?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
mdo7, when did you come to the US?

uh, what!!! Dude, I was born in the US, why do you ask?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
There is the concept of insertion fantasy, and part of the ambiguity can be a way of pooling together quite distinct markets ... the men who are sick and tired of the pathetic protagonists holding the spot they are supposed to insert themselves into and want something to unwind after a hard day's work without being told who to identify with.

What about being a "spectator of love"; the person who just wants to see two people fall in love and do romantic things without inserting yourself in the scene? ...
That's part of the above segment, and it probably does make a bit of a pull toward the yuri-light side. Its OK if nothing happens in terms of a dominating plot arc as long as the events that occur involve character development, and the raunchier "plot, what plot?" kind of stuff can easily lose that part of the market.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, mdo7, I was confused. Your lack of plural usage made me think you were Russian or something. I apologize.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Oh, mdo7, I was confused. Your lack of plural usage made me think you were Russian or something. I apologize.

For the record, I'm Vietnamese American and it looks like you had a long day, stressed out I assume.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
No, I have to say today was a good day. Wink
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

On another note, I've noticed when most yuri goes to the smutty route (maybe on a similar degree as smutty yaoi), it happens on series with guys around and/or have ridiculously over-the-top fanservice like Seikon no Qwaser or Queen's Blade respectively.

While this certainly is true, things seem to be quite different on the manga side. Have you read Octave (which I love, btw)? An anime adaptation for this is a longshot though.
kami-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
and God bless all the nerds in our military, too.
I didn't know the otaku culture was so strong in our armed forces.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

While this certainly is true, things seem to be quite different on the manga side. Have you read Octave (which I love, btw)? An anime adaptation for this is a longshot though.

Ohhh, my delusional mind wishes Octave to have anime announcement on the next issue of Kodansha's Afternoon or on the "obi strip" of the 6th volume, and it'll be broadcasted on noitaminA. Crying or Very sad

But seriously what I noted bothers me (worst case scenario is killing off the lesbian couple), and this tends to extend to hentai and doujins as well (finding yuri doujins that doesn't go futa and/or "faceless" male rape are a dime in a million).
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
But seriously what I noted bothers me (worst case scenario is killing off the lesbian couple) ...
Is killing off the lesbian couple an advance over the days when one unbalanced lesbian caught in unrequited love killed herself? That's more the storyline two decades ago.

It seems like the yuri cellphone manga has completely ditched the unrequited love angle: they reportedly believe in requiting love rapidly, explicitly and repeatedly.

There's reportedly more yuri manga series out there that are not along those lines, the hard question is how to get them licensed and translated outside of Japan on a viable basis.
Eyre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
kami-kun wrote:
and God bless all the nerds in our military, too.
I didn't know the otaku culture was so strong in our armed forces.

Big time, I can remember many folks barracks room looking just like they were right out of a "Shelf Life" picture Smile

Edit: sigh, typing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6