• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids TV to Broadcast G.I. Joe Sigma Six

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
tekwych wrote:
Hasbro has had to announce a full stoppage of both the 12" and 3.75" lines to get retailers on board (better 8" Joes than no Joes)

While I'm no expert on the subject, it was my understanding that the "hard core" market never was hasbro's target with GI Joe, and that while the hard cores love the 3.75" and 12" line, they mass market doesn't. In fact I'd heard that most retailers were heavilly discounting the 3.75"s to clear unmoving stock.

-t
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
While I'm no expert on the subject, it was my understanding that the "hard core" market never was hasbro's target with GI Joe, and that while the hard cores love the 3.75" and 12" line, they mass market doesn't. In fact I'd heard that most retailers were heavilly discounting the 3.75"s to clear unmoving stock.

Hmm, now that I think about it, i don't believe I've ever seen a 3 3/4" Joe on clearance at any stores, unlike Transformers which are constantly be discounted, but still selling more than enough to be seen as a huge success. Joes seem to move well on their own, even after the X-mas rush. I know they've had troubles with larger vehicles selling through, usually due to their price and size, but that's true for any toy line and they've greatly cut back on vehicles recently. Of course, industry lingo says that these two lines are simply on hiatus. However, it looks like TRU is still getting their exclusive 6-packs and Master Collector is still getting their 3 3/4" official club exclusives so the line isn't quite as dead as we're lead to believe. Who knows how long they'll actually continue with that though, but it could go on for the rest of the year. Haven't heard of anything new for the 12" line, and they've in the past mostly been just remakes of the 3 3/4" characters so there's really no loss there and other companies are doing a better job with the real world military stuff so they probably were losing money there.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MekkZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
No one knows what the series will look like yet. It could either look like another straight Anime series or some half Eastern/half Western hybrid which could suck. The toys I don't believe convey actually what the characters in the series will look like, but again no one knows exactly what this show will look like.
There's still major support in the Joe fan community for the 3 3/4" inch line and there are still TRU and Master Collector exclusives coming out but yes the line has had some trouble, due to a lot of stupid decisions Hasbro has made in mismarketing the brand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2