Forum - View topic
The Fall 2010 Anime Preview Guide


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Traumacrazy



Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the leads molest themselves


How the heck do you molest yourself?

That's retarded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheZeonicFront



Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 122
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Traumacrazy wrote:
Quote:
the leads molest themselves


How the heck do you molest yourself?

That's retarded.


What's retarded? Molesting yourself or Zac saying she was molesting herself?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
Subscriber
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7912
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Stop saying 'retarded'.

'Molesting yourself' is a pretty obvious turn of phrase. Glad to see the troll squad has shown up this early though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber
Moderator


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2972
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't actually seen the episode, but I assume Zac meant "fondle and/or touch themselves in an obviously sexual manner." Seemed pretty clear to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
garfield15



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 1368
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have found that scene more pandering to move merchandise if they had done it again in the second segment or if it was longer than 30 seconds.

I can't see this as an otaku anime with all the dirty humor in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorozuya



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that something (that sounds like my sorta thing) will come up on here in a few days Anime smile I normally find this guide really helpful so something good should show up...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae



Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 430
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Truth to be told (and I already about said as much on a certain imageboard) I kind of expected to hear a review like this from Zac on PSG. I am thinking that his "gimmick" so to speak, is to build market value about himself by being contrary. He saw the episode, and is clever enough to understand what kind of reaction it will get out of fandom. So he writes a review to push all the right buttons. It's not about writing a review, but about building a brand called Zac.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Traumacrazy



Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Molesting


You Keep Using That Word. I Do Not Think It Means, What You Think It Means.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3463
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Truth to be told (and I already about said as much on a certain imageboard) I kind of expected to hear a review like this from Zac on PSG. I am thinking that his "gimmick" so to speak, is to build market value about himself by being contrary. He saw the episode, and is clever enough to understand what kind of reaction it will get out of fandom. So he writes a review to push all the right buttons. It's not about writing a review, but about building a brand called Zac.

Because heavens forbid he have consistent taste and opinions that might be predicted by frequent readers, especially ones that disagree with yours! That can't be it, he must be a total troll! Secretly he loves everything you do because your view is the only one true way!
Quote:

You Keep Using That Word. I Do Not Think It Means, What You Think It Means.

I hate to side with the meanies here, Zac, but they are right:
mo·lest
1: to annoy, disturb, or persecute especially with hostile intent or injurious effect
2: to make annoying sexual advances to; especially : to force physical and usually sexual contact on
Source: Merriam-Webster.

So yeah, the turn of phrase has a nice ring but is incorrect usage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber
Moderator


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2972
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:
Truth to be told (and I already about said as much on a certain imageboard) I kind of expected to hear a review like this from Zac on PSG. I am thinking that his "gimmick" so to speak, is to build market value about himself by being contrary. He saw the episode, and is clever enough to understand what kind of reaction it will get out of fandom. So he writes a review to push all the right buttons. It's not about writing a review, but about building a brand called Zac.

Because heavens forbid he have consistent taste and opinions that might be predicted by frequent readers, especially ones that disagree with yours! That can't be it, he must be a total troll! Secretly he loves everything you do because your view is the only one true way!

You said what I wanted to say better than I probably would have, so quouted for truth and all that.

Quote:
Quote:

You Keep Using That Word. I Do Not Think It Means, What You Think It Means.

I hate to side with the meanies here, Zac, but they are right:
mo·lest
1: to annoy, disturb, or persecute especially with hostile intent or injurious effect
2: to make annoying sexual advances to; especially : to force physical and usually sexual contact on
Source: Merriam-Webster.

So yeah, the turn of phrase has a nice ring but is incorrect usage.


But... maybe the girls are of two minds about it, perhaps even have split personalities, thus they are forcing sexual content on themselves and... uh, never mind.

How much you want to bet zac replaces the molesting sentence with something incredibly sarcastic now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae



Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 430
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Because heavens forbid he have consistent taste and opinions that might be predicted by frequent readers, especially ones that disagree with yours! That can't be it, he must be a total troll! Secretly he loves everything you do because your view is the only one true way!

I don't recall voicing my own opinion. We're derailing, but I'm not sure we've heard his real opinion. He has appearances to keep as the Bad Cop. That's what the markets expect, or the stock index will fall.

(fixed endquote tag)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Player No. 3



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 209
Location: San Antonio, Texas
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, my favorite time of year. Mid-terms are coming up, the trolls are out, and the Fall Preview guide is up.

Anyways, it looks like I'm going to be wary of PSG; I was initially curious about it because of the art style and frantic action, but Theron, Carl, and Zac all pointed out things that wouldn't sit well with me. (I'm not a fan of gross-out humor.) But I'll still check the first episode to see how I like it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
SonicRenegade84



Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 630
Location: Atlantis!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Can we stop talking about retards and start talking about, oh IDK, ANIME?

I should've known P&S would disappoint me. When I saw the previews, I knew something was wrong with this show. BUT I still want to check this out, considering it parodies one of the greatest Nickelodeon shows of all time, Invader Zim Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 622
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae seems to believe Zac is the Armond White of anime reviews... I disagree but lol at the thought
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Fuhrer



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Tenebrae seems to believe Zac is the Armond White of anime reviews... I disagree but lol at the thought


Haha, Its funny you should mention that because I was just thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. I would not be surprised to find that Zac and Armond White were in fact the same person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 57

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group