• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Robtech is better than Macross (and those two others).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D95W19P9
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
As far as American adaptations of Japanese properties go, Robotech is the rare case if the adaptation being superior to the original. Here's why I think so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm normally a purist when it comes to how anime is localized, (I almost always watch all of my anime subbed, and I HATE 4Kids Entertainment with a fiery rage that burns hotter than a million red suns) but Robotech is the one rare case where I just can't deny that the English adaptation is in many (but not ALL) ways superior to the original animes. Also, don't just assume that I'm basing this opinion purely on nostalgia, I was born four years after Robotech first aired, and I was already well into unedited anime for many years before I came across Robotech two years ago. I honestly don't understand all the hate that gets thrown at it, in fact, I'm going to counter the common arguments against Robotech, and list how it improved upon the animes it was based on to become the incredible sci-fi action show that it is:

Its a combination of three totally unrelated shows?

Well, they weren't TOTALLY unrelated: Macross and Southern Cross were two of the three shows produced under the "Super Dimension" moniker, and Mospeada used the same basic mecha designs from Macross. Also, the idea of combining formerly separate shows into one universe worked out fine with shows like Voltron, Defenders of the Earth, and Justice League.

They didn't have to combine them into one continuing story?

True, but as Linkara put it in HOPR, fans LIKE continuity, we like to see a story continue, and if you ask me, the stories of the original animes fell far short of satisfying, and the combined story that resulted from Robotech was much more satisfying, sprawling, epic, and emotionally powerful thanks to the generation-spanning quality of it.

The combined story makes no sense?

I want to know what show your referring to when you say this, because it's not Robotech. Robotech has one of the most basic yet powerful, and simple yet epic stories in science fiction television: humans discover alien energy source, several alien races want it, generation after generation of humans fight to protect it.

They replaced all the music?

This is one point that I will NEVER understand, because to anyone with working ears, Robotech's music in infinitely superior to the music it replaced. Don't believe me? go to Youtube and watch the original opening to Macross back-to-back with the opening of Robotech and see how they compare. Seriously, go do it, I'll wait....

...See? while Macross' opening is a pathetic, unintentionally funny attempt at setting a tune of melodramatic romance to scenes of robots blowing each other up, Robotech's theme song is immediately striking, iconic, powerful, and epic. As for the subject of Minmay's songs in the Macross saga, I personally found her songs to be no more or less annoying and repetitive in Macross than they were in Robotech; and while I found all of her songs in Macross annoying, I really liked "We Will Win" from episode 27 of Robotech

It edited out mature content?

True, but when you compare Robotech to almost every single other edited English dub, it's the absolute least of countless evils, subtle sexual references still remained, violence against people was still present, characters and civilians (a vast majority of the human population no less) still die, and the characters, for the most part, are still consistently characterized between shows, (and in some cases, like with Zor Prime, Max Sterling, and Bowie Grant, the characters are actually improved, being more compelling, and having stronger back-stories, while characters like Dana and Annie come off as relatively more mature). And if you're still not satisfied with the amount of content that was left in, there's the Remastered version of Robotech (the version that I own) that restores nearly all of the violent scenes (and several scenes of nudity) to the show.

Macross went on to have several sequels and spin-offs and Robotech didn't?

Yeah, but just because it had more sequels, that doesn't make the show itself better. Also, barely any of the Macross sequels were genuinely good (just for my own protection, I'll say that Macross Plus was great), I watched through Macross Frontier, and while it was mostly enjoyable, it could never hold a candle to the original, and I could barely stand to watch Macross 7. Robotech's relative lack of sequels actually makes it a more appealing franchise to me, because it's more easier to get into with less material to work through; and the sequels that were made either failed from there lack of quality or managed to reach an acceptable standard (I'm gonna go on record and say that I liked "The Shadow Chronicles," sure, as a sci-fi anime movie it fails, but as a continuation of Robotech and as the beginning of a new story arc, it's almost perfect). Quality over quantity, that's the lesson here.

Please keep in mind that this is all just my opinion, your free to have your own, but in mine, Robotech is a far superior show to three animes it's made up of.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I gave up once you said Robotech's music was better.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Are you serious? Robotech is just 3 anime that have been heavily edited and put together as one show. I do not know how you like it better than Macross. The story has been dumbed down, edited for content and removed all of those cheesy, yet awesome songs. I never came across a person who said the Macross franchise sucks in general. The sequels may not have been on par with the original series, but at least it was better than the Shadow Chronicles
D95W19P9
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Are you serious? Robotech is just 3 anime that have been heavily edited and put together as one show. I do not know how you like it better than Macross. The story has been dumbed down, edited for content and removed all of those cheesy, yet awesome songs. I never came across a person who said the Macross franchise sucks in general. The sequels may not have been on par with the original series, but at least it was better than the Shadow Chronicles

Don't just assume that I dislike the Macross franchise in general, I actually really like the original Macross series, and the Movie adaptation, and I admire the concept behind the series as a whole; I just like Robotech a lot more.

If you actually took the time to read what I wrote, you'd see that I addressed every single one of your criticisms and countered them.
D95W19P9
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I gave up once you said Robotech's music was better.

Ehh... I still think Robotech's music is much better.

It's just my opinion here, if you personal think that Macross is the superior show, then my opinion really shouldn't get to you.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
DWP102589 wrote:
This is one point that I will NEVER understand, because to anyone with working ears, Robotech's music in infinitely superior to the music it replaced.

One interprets the language you use as indicating a belief that there is universal fact to this matter. You seemingly suggest that only those who are deficient in certain perceptual faculties, to the extent that they arrive at falsities and not truths by appeal to such faculties, prefer or are in a position to prefer the music of Macross.

From this construal it would follow that you believe the issue of whether one show's soundtrack is superior, whatsoever your concept of superiority may be, to be a matter of fact.

Now, if the construal I outline is wholly unintended on your part — which your subsequent utterance of the term "opinion" would presumably imply — then I would not have recommended the choice of words for which you opted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DWP102589 wrote:

And while I know the thread's trolling, admit it, don't you prefer a Minmei who knows MORE than two songs?

(Yeah, yeah, I know, Robotech fan, "Minmay is evil", etc....
But c'mon, doesn't it look sort of silly when she's supposed to premiere another new song for some Great Event, goes out on stage and sings "Stage fright, go away..." for the seventh or eighth time? Razz )
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Not many people share that opinion.

All of Harmony Gold's attempts to continue Robotech have failed miserably, so it can't be all that great.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Not many people share that opinion.

All of Harmony Gold's attempts to continue Robotech have failed miserably, so it can't be all that great.

At the same time, attempts to re-release Mospeada, Southern Cross, and Macross separately have also failed miserably.

It isn't a matter of what's better. It's just one big licensing limbo either way.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
DWP102589 wrote:
They replaced all the music?

This is one point that I will NEVER understand, because to anyone with working ears, Robotech's music in infinitely superior to the music it replaced. Don't believe me? go to Youtube and watch the original opening to Macross back-to-back with the opening of Robotech and see how they compare. Seriously, go do it, I'll wait....

Uggh, you mean that derivative mishmash trying to sound like the Star Wars and Superman The Movie theme without having to pay any royalties to the composers of either? That one?

And the best music in Macross was not even the opening, it was watashi no kare wa pilot and Silver Moon, Redu Moon. That opening you cited would never have brought an alien race to its knees with the strength of its Protoculture.
D95W19P9
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
DWP102589 wrote:
This is one point that I will NEVER understand, because to anyone with working ears, Robotech's music in infinitely superior to the music it replaced.

One interprets the language you use as indicating a belief that there is universal fact to this matter. You seemingly suggest that only those who are deficient in certain perceptual faculties, to the extent that they arrive at falsities and not truths by appeal to such faculties, prefer or are in a position to prefer the music of Macross.

From this construal it would follow that you believe the issue of whether one show's soundtrack is superior, whatsoever your concept of superiority may be, to be a matter of fact.

Now, if the construal I outline is wholly unintended on your part — which your subsequent utterance of the term "opinion" would presumably imply — then I would not have recommended the choice of words for which you opted.

It all intended to be opinion-based, and I just wanted to express how strongly I felt about that opinion
D95W19P9
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
DWP102589 wrote:

And while I know the thread's trolling, admit it, don't you prefer a Minmei who knows MORE than two songs?

(Yeah, yeah, I know, Robotech fan, "Minmay is evil", etc....
But c'mon, doesn't it look sort of silly when she's supposed to premiere another new song for some Great Event, goes out on stage and sings "Stage fright, go away..." for the seventh or eighth time? Razz )

I want to make this clear from the start, I rank quality over quantity, I disliked every song from Macross, but there was one song in Robotech that I liked.

I also want to make it clear that this is not intended as trolling, it's me stating my honest opinion as a long-time anime-fan (I refuse to use the word "otaku") and hoping to begin some intelligent discussion of it among fellow fans.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
DWP102589 wrote:
I disliked every song from Macross

Wow! Well, that would explain why you found that derivative, completely unimaginative crap opening of Robotech better.
D95W19P9
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
DWP102589 wrote:
I disliked every song from Macross

Wow! Well, that would explain why you found that derivative, completely unimaginative crap opening of Robotech better.

I not a music aficionado, but I honestly thought that Robotech's opening is one of the best openings for an English adaptation of anime, because it serves its purpose of drawing in the audience and making the show look epic. I don't care if it sounds similar to other scores, (I mean, every hit pop song from the past forty years uses the same four cords) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

Because, to me, originality is not an automatic factor of quality, but rather how well it works with what it uses.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
It is starting to become evident that the original poster is trolling. Besides who would say that the edited version of a classic show would better due to the fact that all of the best elements of it are taken out? Its like saying the director's cut version of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven(which restored cut content) was a lot worse than the flopped edited version of the movie that was shown and failed in theaters.

Last edited by Nerv1 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3