• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Robtech is better than Macross (and those two others).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually rather not fight about it. I love both series. I wasn't alive yet when Robotech came out, but I got into it after being an anime fan, and own the series on DVD. At the same time, I've watched most of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and recently (finally) found a copy of the Macross II manga. Robotech was dubbed in a different time, but it's really a timeless series. I rather found a lot of the science fiction aspect to share some qualities with series like Star Trek and Star Wars, and the musical setting actually fit the scenes quite well.

I think we could also remember that this forum has at least a tentative connection to Protoculture Addicts which, as the name suggests, started as a Robotech fanzine. Very Happy
Boomer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
While I don't think it was a good idea to stitch three unrelated anime series together into a less-than-seemless whole, I would agree that the Macross Saga of Robotech is better than the original SDF Macross series. Mind you, I also liked the other two original series that made up Robotech (i.e. Mospeada and Southern Cross) better than SDF Macross. Sure, you are getting a completely different interpretation of what protoculture is, but the story is more or less intact with more appropriate music and more mature behavior from the characters than in the original. If you want to get the essence of what Macross is about, you are much better off watching Do You Remember Love?.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3