• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network to Launch 1st Simulcast, Oreimo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Actually this is hilarious on three fronts.

1: The show is actually quite funny, and so far, clean.

2: I find it hilarious that ANN, who's staff is 90% anti-moe, have this on streaming.

3: I can't wait for the staff reviews. On one hand, they might want to bash the show, on the other, it's streaming on their site.

Need popcorn, and a karma flavored drink.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll give it a try, but I usually automatically avoid anything with something like "My Little Sister..." in the title.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
Generally anything involving the hint of incest makes me uncomfortable, but people who think this is like kissxsis are mistaken. It's not anywhere near that perverse.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

"...A series about a guy who's in love with his sister...you know...one of those 'subversive incest' otaku shows."

That's...not what the show is about at all...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
The little sisters is not in love with the big brother, and neither is the big brother in love with his little sister. What the hell were some of you watching? Did you even SEE the episode, or did you just jump on the "if it has little sister in the title is must be about incest and perversion"?
gorbal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
You say it seems clean but from the preview it looks like they are sexualizing a young girl: is she 15 or over?
ac195

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
2: I find it hilarious that ANN, who's staff is 90% anti-moe, have this on streaming.

To be honest... I think that 90% are "closeted-moe" fans...

Yeah... we see you over there... secretly watching K-On! in the corner...
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
You say it seems clean but from the preview it looks like they are sexualizing a young girl: is she 15 or over?

Well, let's try not to move the goalposts... mild fanservice involving younger characters is not why people are upset about this.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
[Licensee Hat On]
We worked really hard for a long time to get to this position, and we're super happy to finally be here. Here not being any sort of final destination, but rather an important milestone.

Just to give you an idea of how long this has been in the works, we've been working on this pretty much as long as Crunchyroll (since well before they wen public), but not having a multi-million investment, in part from Japanese anime companies, was a challenge.

As for all the people who are amused about the "irony" of the license: "Don't judge a book by it's cover." Or rather in this case, don't judge an anime by its title. Watch the first episode and you'll find out that its more a slightely moe Genshiken than the siscon mess that the translated name implies (that's why we chose not to translate the name).

Oh yeah, watch it on ANN. Don't download the pirated copies (it's simulcast, so I don't consider them "ethical fansubs").
[/licensee]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The little sisters is not in love with the big brother, and neither is the big brother in love with his little sister. What the hell were some of you watching? Did you even SEE the episode, or did you just jump on the "if it has little sister in the title is must be about incest and perversion"?

Yeah, I haven't seen it. Don't fling poo too early, I was just fishing for a joke. I could be totally mistaken, all I know is the plot summary, which seems like a siblings version of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, right? Nothing bad about that in particular but...I get vibes. Why do you think this was made? Who do YOU think the audience is?

...I'd believe that it's clean on the surface so far, but 90% of the iceberg is under the water if you catch my drift~

EDIT: I apologize if I offended anyone, too. Embarassed I don't wanna imply that everyone or even anyone who watches this thinks it's about incest or whatever. But...but...THE JOKE WAS THERE! ;u;

Also, you give us reviewers far too little credit! Very Happy I for one will be completely fair to the show no matter where it's available and I'm sure I can speak for my fellow writers too. ^u^

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

As for all the people who are amused about the "irony" of the license: "Don't judge a book by it's cover." Or rather in this case, don't judge an anime by its title. Watch the first episode and you'll find out that its more a slightely moe Genshiken than the siscon mess that the translated name implies (that's why we chose not to translate the name).

Thank you tempest.
gorbal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
gorbal wrote:

Well, let's try not to move the goalposts... mild fanservice involving younger characters is not why people are upset about this.

From what I hear that is the only reason to be upset about it; (that is, if it isn't mild and the girl is a rather squicky age.). Personally I will read reviews before I watch it from various bloggers- many say it's a good manga so I will keep my mind open.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
When will the first episode be up? Has a schedule for this series (as to when each episode will be up on ANN) been determined?
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
From what I hear that is the only reason to be upset about it; (that is, if it isn't mild and the girl is a rather squicky age.). Personally I will read reviews before I watch it from various bloggers- many say it's a good manga so I will keep my mind open.

I think it's clear the main concern is incest, not fanservice. There's barely any typical fanservice in the first episode (the inclusion of a multitude of references to various visual novels and other otaku merchandise is fanservice of another form).
se37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that this will be Simulcast... the first episode ending was so funny that I threw my voice out laughing so hard. From the first episode, it doesn't really have much fanservice at all... aside from incest subject which they even bring up in the first episode. I have to say this series is maybe the best series thus far this Fall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8