• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network to Launch 1st Simulcast, Oreimo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
We won't censor ANYTHING!
Wait, didn't you post that this show isn't one of those subversive naughty siscon series? Twisted Evil *Kidding*

Personally I fully support the principle of no censorship period so regardless of the content, I'd be praising you for what you posted.

tempest wrote:
We were even going to post Queen's Blade uncensored, but those talks went no where.
Can you say if the talks were with the NA licensor or the Japanese side of things? I'm curious as to who you have to talk to about that sort of issue.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad ANN is getting into the simulcasting biz. Ideally, I'd love to have legit access to every single anime currently broadcasting in Japan. It's unlikely that one outlet will ever be able to provide that (although CR seems to want to give it the ole college try!) but several outlets doing their own thing conceivably could.

What might be nice is a central paygate that gave you premium access to all the streaming sites. I know these do, or at least did, exist for adult sites.
Out of the current stream providers I always hope for any titles I'm interested in to go to Crunchy since they actively try and often succeed in getting UK rights (TAN doesn't bother trying), their videos are higher quality than Youtube (the only avenue open for me to watch FUNi's streams since their site and Hulu are both locked out) and as an existing subscriber I get no ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ommadon wrote:

Can an ANN rep disclose how ANN's simulcast of Oreimo is bennefiting Anniplex and AIC? I'm sincerely curious how the whole thing works. Can you be specific please? How is income generated? Through ads, subscriptions, or something else? Who gets that money? Please be as specific as you can with actual numbers.

It would be my pleasure. But please understand that I can not disclose contract specifics. So I'll be talking in general terms about how ANN is trying to help anime companies like Funimation, Aniplex, Bandai, etc...

There are two major points.

First off, revenue generated from a show, be it fees collected (we don't do this just yet, but we may), or advertisements, are shared with the licensor (% varies). In the case of companies like Funimation, they of course share this money with their licensor. In the case of companies like Aniplex, this money goes towards their cashflow and in part funds future anime.

Second, we help promote the anime. Companies want fans to see the show, get exposed to it, and hopefully buy it. So the simulcast helps with the exposure, and then tied in advertising will later help with DVD sales. ANN is very committed to helping with the eventual DVD sales, which remain the bread and butter of the industry.

It can be said that fansubs certainly help with exposure, but there are many key differences. 1) There's zero money made from fansubs. 2) Licensors don't have any control over the quality of fansubs (most fansubs are well done, some completely ruin a show). 3) Licensors don't get much data from fansubs, whereas we provide metrics. 4) Advertising for the DVD can not be tied into fansubs. 5) The simulcasts don't end up competing with the Japanese TV broadcasts (a lot of fansub downloaders are in Japan). [I'm not listing these differences to say that fansubs are "bad" but rather to show why simulcasts are better for the licensor & studios.]

I apologize if my answer wasn't detailed enough, I only wanted to cover the major points, and as I said, I can't get into the specifics of contracts and I also can't discuss proprietary benefits.

-t
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, even general data like that makes for an interesting and informative read.
I'm all for getting more things out there legally and if it's a show that looks like something I'd enjoy, all the better. Taking down these barriers is a good step forward to providing fansub alternatives.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it is great news, now anime fans have more options on where to watch legal anime, plus it also means that we stand a better chance that more new shows will get simulcast, and maybe one day, all new shows will be simulcast every season, and all the fans have to do is figure out who has the show they want to see,

it may never get rid of fansubs 100%, but I am hoping that all the shows I want to see, will eventually get streamed legally, there is still one or two shows I want to see, that are not legally streamed, so if I want to see them my only option is fansubs, but with this news, that may soon be a thing of the past,

and as a paid subscriber to crunchyroll, I am not afraid to support the industry legally, but I want more options, and now I do. keep up the good work ANN, I will wait for you to stream this, instead of watching a fansub,

now if only you can get some older shows, that are not licensed for streaming, like, diary of a crazed family, or rizelmine, always nice to see older shows from japan streamed, although I would rather have a DVD version here, but streaming is nice
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
The thought of "3D" incest grosses her out.

Good, and her brother?
Kyjin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
tempest wrote:
Yes, sadly we won't be simulcasting this within 24 hours of the Japanese broadcast. We tried, but... More on that later.

In all fairness, I don't see the broadcast showing up on the official Nico Nico Douga channel yet either (unless they're hiding the clips from people without Japanese IP addresses instead of listing the clips and not allowing people to watch them?), and they're also broadcasting the show this quarter. Besides, there are multiple Japanese TV broadcasts per week, depending on which channel and what region of Japan you are in, etc.

Japanese IP here- and no, Nico isn't hiding the shows, they're not uploaded yet. They might be up a week after airing, but it's hard to tell from their announcements. This wouldn't surprise me since they want people to watch the broadcasts on tv.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that's interested and can read Japanese, this simulcast was reported in アニメ!アニメ!, a Japanese anime news site
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Good, and her brother?

Equally disgusted by the idea.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Good, and her brother?

"Don't confuse 3D with 2D!"
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Good, and her brother?

You guys crack me up.

And the little sister collects BISHOUJO games? But...but...I...I don't..but...
If common logical sense holds (which it probably won't) then she would be more into womens then mens. But, at least they will have similar interests? That might not go well either, though.
Heh, nothing better than wasting away the wee hours of the night away playing pronz games with your little sister.

Wait..what?

Ahhh...who am I kidding? This show had me at "imouto".
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I would ever see ANN do simulcasts, but I guess I shouldn't really be that surprised given how the site has become entrenched in streaming anime. Congratulations on the effort!

And of all shows, Oreimo. I was looking forward to the title after coming across material of it totally by chance a few months ago. To see it first announced by Aniplex USA and then by ANN has really been something and its good to see this and other new titles to receive the simulcast treatment. Said ANN-irony aside (more humorous than chiding), it's pleasing to hear that journalistic honesty and integrity will still be in place (though exemptions are reasonable).

On a related note, will the ANN app on the Apple iDevices ever have an integrated video player to play content from the site?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
For anyone that's interested and can read Japanese, this simulcast was reported in アニメ!アニメ!, a Japanese anime news site

Read it 12 hours ago; not much more than a direct translation of the press release in English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Well this is nice. ANN actually is now simulcasting, and to think days earlier people misread The Anime Network's simulcast as Anime News Network's simulcast. Laughing
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Good, and her brother?

You guys crack me up.

And the little sister collects BISHOUJO games? But...but...I...I don't..but...
If common logical sense holds (which it probably won't) then she would be more into womens then mens. But, at least they will have similar interests? That might not go well either, though.

She buys them because she thinks the imoutou are cute.

Which is a real Peripherary Demographic for bishoujo games in Japan (albeit very very low)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8