• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahumut75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I was mostly pleasantly surprised with the first episode. Like some others, I'm almost afraid to see where the whole brother-sister thing goes, but so far it doesn't seem so bad; the show does seem to be poking some fun at itself. The scene where spoiler[he runs into her in the hallway surprised me, they actually fell away from each other. I was totally prepared for the "oops, I fell on top of you" crap.]

I did find her method of waking her brother up rather strange, but it was funny enough in its own way. Overall I found the show to be funny and enjoyable, I'll definitely be continuing this one.

Also, she does mention all the names the little sisters call her in the games, nii-nii being one of them. That's probably the most "cutesy" of the ones she mentions; nii-sama, o-nii chan and the like are common enough, I would say. She also mentioned "aniki" in that list which kind of surprised me, it isn't necessarily a yazuka term or anything, but its generally a bit more badass than something a cute little sister would say :p
killmyself

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
The second episode was better than the first I particularly liked the little sisters interactions with the goth loli. The brother's character seems to be unusually apathetic towards women though. That is possibly the writer overcompensating for the little sister's particular brand of otakudom. The neighbor girl seems like her role is going to be more like the psuedo little sister and not a love interest for him. I'm hoping for that at least as it could make the story more interesting.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I don't think she is a secret bro-con. I suspect he might be a secret sis-con, but I don't have as much evidence to back up my hunch as I do with my other comments. I take her statement that she likes these types of games because she finds the little sister characters cute at face value. I mean, it's an absurd premise, but if we all demanded strict psychological realism, I suspect not many of us would be watching anime in the first place!

I know a few girls who do play eroge for the cute characters, so I don't think this is a necessarily absurd premise in that way.

That being said, I don't think I so much as chuckled through the entire episode. The character designs didn't sit right with me, the dialogue was a little forced and generic, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it in general. Kyousuke was just too detached, and stuck up girls who talk about clothes aren't my thing. Being a closet otaku doesn't exactly give Kirino any bonus points. If she's so embarrassed by it, how exactly did she mount the courage to go to the B&M stores she mentioned having to go to? I can only imagine we'll get an episode where she goes 'undercover' to get the latest release of something.

Still, I'll give it a chance. It's a short series, after all. My problem is that I didn't like it or hate it. I just felt no connection whatsoever. It just felt rather mediocre, which is even harder for me to watch than something I hate (because at least then I get some good rage going.) ^_^
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
In episode two Kirino's interactions with the goth loli were indeed good, it was kind of hard telling whether they were being friends or enemies. I think that I will look forward to see what might come off between those two, they are simular in a few ways, but in others are pretty different which kind of makes some nice chemistry.

Also there is someth strange about Kyousuke's relationship with withe "neighbour girl", it looks like she likes him, yet he has absolutly no idea and of fact like to give her light insults. He said something about not likeing anyone else insult her, I know this not too uncommon in anime, but usually the genders are the other way around.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
For once the anime justifies its name completely. I don't think I've ever seen a cuter character. Their conversation with Kuroneko accurately illustrate nerd fights (though, calling her Suigintou? come on, her hair's not white).
I wonder what the comedy will be mostly based on (hiding the hobby from family/school? interaction with other otaku?), but I'm sure as hell sticking with this one. Can't get enough of those eyes.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Nothing very interesting about this anime besides the male lead who failed to say "Why would you want the opinion of someone you treat like trash?" on the first episode, and the potential love relationship between siblings. Quite interested in the latter since I also have 3-5 sisters whom I've never thought of as annoying or likable but that girl on the other hand pisses me off really bad unlike that 16-year-old bland sister from that series I never got past episode 10 out of 12-13 even after 3 tries.

Gah! Clearly, my fav [overused] seiyu had to be part of it.
jeroz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see that there are still people that thinks the series will go into incest route.

The author already had a safety net with Ayase. Even if Kyousuke like Kirino, he'll just go with Ayase as the love interest. I mean come on, those two looks so similar.

Loving the banter between Kirino and Kuroneko. It just feel so familiar to me. The series will more likely be a celebration of the otaku culture like Lucky Star did, which is what i'll hope from it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
and the potential love relationship between siblings.

No.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
egoist wrote:
and the potential love relationship between siblings.

No.

Well, we may not see it in the animated series (which is unfortunate, I think, but it wouldn't really work in a comedy setting like this without coming off as superficial fanservice shite like KissxSis) but I came across a fantastic doujin the other day; one chapter, in full colour: holy crap. The artist was really good too, it looked exactly the same as the anime characters, down to the awesome eyes (I like the character design in this series a lot). So yeah, if you're looking for the visual novel-esque ending as per one of Kirino's eroge's, check it out. If you're into that kind of thing it will not disappoint.

Anyways, with regards to episode 2; I watched and enjoyed. I'll see it through to the end at this rate, as the two lead siblings are really fun to watch. I can't see this going an incest route though; seriously. The brother is protective doesn't want her to be hurt, and the sister is disgusted anytime anyone even references the possibility. I'm taking it at face value, and liking what I see as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
I have seen this show taken off the web site dose that have something to do with the leaked epi?

anyone notice this as well?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Im glad to see that so far it seems that Oreimon has made a point to set it's self apart from other popular series with an incest tone like Kiss x Sis and others. The fanservice is definitely not in the same vain of things and it's much more toned down in all aspects. Unlike Kiss x Sis which was practically a loli hentai, this series has taken the relative high road of fanserivice. The way Kirino has been portrayed so far is very similar to Haruhi. Their both, so far, falling into the same archetypes. And so far she hasn't really been a sexual character but rather a typical cute teenage girl. And Kyousuke is so far not giving off any really creepy vibes.

Actually so far it seems to me that the relationship isn't developing like the usual incest romance would. The back and forth seems more like Madarame and Saki from Genshiken, in the sense that one is a hardcore otaku while the other is completely in the dark about the subject and would often prefer not to know. Which leads me to wonder if the incest aspect is less of an actual fantasy fulfillment and more like a parody with how obsessed gal games have become with the little sister fetish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, can we get it straight that THIS IS NOT AN INCEST show yet? I mean, I really wish they had made like...a different title for this show because this is really starting to bug me.

BTW, anybody else a post-Evangelion biter?
jeroz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, can we get it straight that THIS IS NOT AN INCEST show yet?

sooner or later this will be a running joke.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
jeroz wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

I thought it was already there.

btw how many episodes do you think it will be before they get it on?
killmyself

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
jeroz wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

I thought it was already there.

btw how many episodes do you think it will be before they get it on?

They already did twice in the first episode. They are saving the bedroom scenes prior to him waking up for the bluray release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 56