• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

But it wasn't 'different and controversial'. It was the same ol' inconclusive endings that harems typically get. No girl 'won' in the end because the author didn't have the balls.

........I don't know what anime YOU watched..... Razz Because in the one I watched, it was a clear sister route...that had to only be implied because publishers and anime staff are very strict about this stuff.

Really, anyone who's insisting Kirino didn't win is kidding themselves. I was not really cheering for her...but I don't deny the girl won and I don't deny that Kyousuke CLEARLY chose her as the person he loves most.

I don't know if there is any winner. I Kyousuke dated two girls for like 1 month each. Atleast the end, he gets nothing. I think only Kirino gets what she wanted. I guess she is the winner. He should pick Ayase.

spoiler[Kirino looks pretty happy from being kissed by her brother as she runs away, and more "life counciling sessions" are planned. In her recordings, Kirino says that her feelings for her brother are who she is, and if she didn't feel that way, she'd no longer be herself. Their public, official relationship may be over, but their feelings are the same as ever, and it seems likely their relationship will continue in secret. They simply don't know how to be "normal" siblings]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Well, I don't care what the actual material indicates, because in my mind, spoiler[Kirino was riding his face like a bucking bronco every single night.]

spoiler[Not the way I'd have phrased it, but that was very much the impression of their future I got from the light novels. *laughs*]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bin1127

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
The route it went down wasn't too surprising and wasn't all that bad. They very methodically cleared up loose ends with everyone. Leaving out ayase except for the flashback was a very smart choice since the prior ending was pretty much perfect for ending their relationship.

spoiler[But the main gripe I have is that Kyousuke never really seem to me to be romantically in love with Kirino. His relationship with all the other girls felt more convincing of some true romance to come but with Kirino he always seemed to be a big brother. Kyousuke kept screaming he loves her sister but emotionally it didn't come across that way at all. ][/spoiler]
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Wow. My anime balls have been severely kicked. I shot plums out of my mouth and into the stratosphere. As the pain heals I have a fine new example of why I refuse to buy BDs until a series is over.

One of the things I really respected about this show was that the siblings spoiler[truly seemed like a non-romantic type. There were some awkward moments here or there but the show never seemed to be selling the incest thing.] It actually seemed to be very skillfully skirting it, as was apparent in the brilliant Kuroneko arc of s2. A very similar (reversed role) situation happened to some people I know and it played out pretty much the same way.

So at the spoiler[chapel scene] I'm finally swallowing the whole thing and am ready to accept it, mainly because the final showdown was awesome. And then they pull my absolutely most hated spoiler[ending type, the Reset To Zero]. I really, really liked this series in the first 2 seasons. I liked it so much that even although my favourite girl didn't get a happy ending I was still thoroughly enjoying it. Then they decide to spoiler[end it while not ending it], which they could've done anyway without tacking on some out-of-place crap that spat in the face of what made the show unique.

For the record I have no problem with incest/twincest/chronocest/selfcest/whatever in fictional stories. One of my top drama series is Koi Kaze, which also ranks in my top 50 overall. So it has nothing to do with an aversion to age or relation. My problem was that it seemed tacked on to make otakumobs happy. It was more a sell tactic than an acceptable end. THAT I have a beef with.

Normally you won't see me rage on here. Seriously, if I dislike a show or something in it I'll make a brief mention of it and then be gone. But this is the first time in ages that a show really pissed me off this much, so I had to get that off my chest and all the other forums I visit would be off-topic for it. So thanks for letting me vent that.

Last edited by Bango on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Since I've been told I can't comment on Free! and must run away to this thread, I have a question...

Now that the anime is over, can we discuss the novels here as well?

And, I disagree with calling it a Reset to Zero. The relationship between Kyousuke and Kirino has grown, Kirino has friends that accept her, Kuroneko's destiny diary is still in effect, Saori has gained her desired group, Ayase's grown up a bit, Kanako has experienced the joy and bitterness of love, and we got to see Kuroneko's little sisters. This isn't zero, it's +infinity.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
And then they pull my absolutely most hated ending type, the Reset To Zero.

I don't think spoiler[burning every chance he had with another girl and secretly marrying his sister] can be defined as a reset to zero. The implication I got was very much that spoiler[neither could ignore their feelings for the other, and that their relationship will continue in secret.]

I highly recommend looking into the light novels and some of the author's comments on the series. Unfortunately, the time-table on the anime combined with the producer getting skittish made the ending far more ambiguous than it really was intended to be.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Since I've been told I can't comment on Free! and must run away to this thread, I have a question...

There's a separate forum for novels.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Nayu wrote:

There's a separate forum for novels.

That no one ever goes to. Thanks though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 56 of 56