• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Take Over Del Rey Manga Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
as someone who's only collected two titles from del rey and to see those titles all but stop sucks!
I want the two titles to keep up so i can finish my collection!
but oh well things happen.

here's hope that the rest of things that they started get released AT some point!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the upcoming NYAF/NYCC panel isn't scheduled anymore.

Not sure how in the world we'll find out about what will happen now...
stonehand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
1. Thank God Tsubasa's ending before any of this crap happens.

2. When they change the spines, even if it's just from Del Rey to Kodansha USA, my OCD will go into overdrive. I hope they keep Del Rey's distinctive spine designs, because they were really nice.

It's too bad Del Rey messed up a lot of series by doing the omnibuses. Kodansha should've interfered earlier (and maybe they'll rerelease the series they took from Tokyopop, too)!

And why do you think Del Rey messed up by releasing omnibuses? They could have gone the route of the other companies and just dropped/cancelled a title. They have obviously found that the individual volumes weren't making money. Instead, they are trying to finish the titles in a way that will let you finish the story, and will make them some money. I personally don't care if the omnis are 2 or 3 volumes long each. As long as they will let me finish series, then more power to them.

Kodansha takes over 1 Dec 2010. In case you haven't noticed, nothing has been scheduled past the end of October. xxxHolic 18 releases in Japan on the 15th of this month. xxxHolic16 is supposed to release in the US on the 26th. Tsubasa 28 was supposed to release on the 23rd of November in the US. It is still listed as a preorder at several online stores, but its status is undetermined at this time. The title that were solicited for November might show up. But nothing has been solicited for December on.

And, if Kodansha does do the take over on a title by title basis, as they have said they were, then we will likely see a continuation of xxHolic, Negima Neo, Negima, Shugo Chara!, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and Fairy Tale, as these seem to be big sellers. The other titles could possibly be dropped, or delayed horribly. Omnis might be the only way to get them, if KC elects to leave them for a while with Del Rey.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/10/nycc-10-kodanshas-panel-was-not-canceled-it-was-never-scheduled/

Brigid Alverson just posted an update at Robot6 on the Kodansha line, with Dallas addressing a lot of the issues brought up by this

ps- hope ANN reposts this on the front page to help get the news out. A lot of conversation has gone on, and it looks like our questions have been answered pretty quickly, including what was up with Kodansha's panel at NYAF/NYCC

Dallas having a quick note with Brigid lets us know that the new form of Del Rey Manga plans on being fairly open, and the lack of a panel was mostly due to a lack of news regarding licensing announcements. Be sure to read the Robot6 update
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the artwork isn't flopped like those Akira and GiTS reprints! Also keeping the censorship away, that lesbian scene in the unedited release by Dark Horse was kinda hot.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Hopefully the artwork isn't flopped like those Akira and GiTS reprints! Also keeping the censorship away, that lesbian scene in the unedited release by Dark Horse was kinda hot.

Those reprints were flipped because the original Dark Horse versions were, which were done with the participation of the artists [so like Chi's Sweet Home, it was a choice by the artist]. Kodansha simply reprinted them.

From what's been indicated, any titles will be handled by much of the team responsible for Del Rey's manga line, so we'll probably see a similar quality.... not sure if size/price/graphic design will change much, since those were all things Kodansha would of played a part in previously. I imagine we'll probably see a new trade dress [ie- Kodansha logos].

I'm guessing that if they go back and reprint any of Del Rey's better sellign titles [ie- reprints of Tsubasa or Negima] they'll swap out logos, and leave the content as is.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Has there been an update on this yet?
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Has there been an update on this yet?

I think this might of been posted earlier in the thread, but they've updated their site again since then. A few months ago they announced their titles for May-Aug, and it included many Del Rey titles. Then they just announced their fall titles, which included the much loved Sailor Moon, and reissues of Love Hina and Tokyo Mew Mew, as well as the sequel series of Until the Full Moon [a 2 vol series that Brocolli Books published that they rescued]
http://kodanshacomics.com/

If you check their site, you'll see listings for-

* Air Gear 18 (June), Air Gear 19 (August)
* Arisa 2 (May), Arisa 3 (July)
* Fairy Tail 13 (May), Fairy Tail 14 (July)
* I am Here! 2 (July)
* Negima! 29 (May), Negima! 30 (July)
* Negima?! Neo (June)
* Ninja Girls 5 (May), Ninja Girls 6 (July)
* Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei 9 (June), Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei 10 (August)
* Shugo Chara! 10 (May), Shugo Chara! 11 (July)
* The Wallflower 25 (June)

http://www.amazon.com/Rave-Master-33-34-35/dp/1935429736/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302144442&sr=1-2 They're also releasing an omnibus of Rave Master's last 3 volumes that Del Rey had originally announced.

Tsubasa's final volume was released awhile ago, and Del Rey apparently still retains rights to it's reprints and xxxHolic's future vols [I'm guessing CLAMP's deal is directly with Del Rey rather than through Kodansha, similar to their current arragements with Dark Horse].

I assume we'll hear about other continuing series as they get solicited. It probably will take them awhile to get rights cleared with the cartoonists, and to determine which of the remaining titles are viable. Ghost Hunt's 11th volume was solicited as it's finale, though there's apparently another volume in Japan w/sidestories.

Mushishi's last 3 vols were released as an omnibus.

So that leaves-

* Alive
* Aventura
* Code:Breaker
* Dragon Eye
* Four-Eyed Prince
* Gakuen Prince
* Maid War Chronicle
* Moyashimon
* My Heavenly Hockey Club
* Night Head Genesis
* Nodame Cantabile
* Papillon
* Pastel
* Princess Resurrection
* Psycho Busters
* Pumpkin Scissors
* School Rumble
* Shiki Tsukai
* Suzuka
* The Yagyu Ninja Scrolls
* Yokai Doctor
* Yozakura Quartet

Kodansha hasn't posted their full Fall schedule yet, just some major new series, so it's a matter of waiting and seeing what happens now.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
There are two on there left off list! Princess Resurrection and Shiki Tsukai These two being left off the list. There the only two I collected off that list.

Ah well sales numbers are to blame i bet.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
There are two on there left off list! Princess Resurrection and Shiki Tsukai These two being left off the list. There the only two I collected off that list.

Ah well sales numbers are to blame i bet.

http://www.amazon.ca/Shiki-Tsukai-7--Ru-Zekuu/dp/0345521579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302214399&sr=1-1 Del Rey released an omnibus of 7+8 of Shiki Tsukai right before the switch to Kodansha [which happened in Nov], so I imagine it's possible we may see it continued. 2009's the last time we saw a new vol of Princess Resurrection.

Still, it's mostly a matter of waiting and seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8