• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Take Over Del Rey Manga Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
AnnoyedWabbit wrote:
I picked up volume 3 of the Kodansha reprint of Akira just yesterday. The cover price is identical to the old Dark Horse editions, the spines are basically the same other than the logo (the Kodansha volume is maybe a few millimeters shorter) and opening to a random page, I didn't notice any difference in the print quality. The only difference that really struck me was that the paper Kodansha used is noticeably heavier.

Yeah, Kodanhsa's quality on the books is just as good as DH's was- I'm assuming they'll have Del Rey manga's staff handle the books here so we should some good people on these books , based on what this article hints at http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/book-news/comics/article/44698-random-house-to-shift-manga-publishing-to-kodansha-usa-publishing.html?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly%27s+PW+Daily&utm_campaign=3cb5afb515-UA-15906914-1&utm_medium=email

Is Akira the same price as DH's? Maybe the GITS's price difference threw me off.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
fudge what is going on now I just what to keep reading Maid War Chronicle and Yozakura Quartet and they havnt put out a new manga in months now. I just hope this isnt a bad thing
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to react to this one. I only hope it lets them focus on the light novel side. Maybe Zaregoto will be finished in under 10 years and maybe they will stop sitting on Kara no Kyoukai.

But then this news has nothing to do with that side of the house. So this is just another chance for me to bitch and moan.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
AnnoyedWabbit wrote:
I picked up volume 3 of the Kodansha reprint of Akira just yesterday. The cover price is identical to the old Dark Horse editions, the spines are basically the same other than the logo (the Kodansha volume is maybe a few millimeters shorter) and opening to a random page, I didn't notice any difference in the print quality. The only difference that really struck me was that the paper Kodansha used is noticeably heavier.

Yeah, Kodanhsa's quality on the books is just as good as DH's was- I'm assuming they'll have Del Rey manga's staff handle the books here so we should some good people on these books , based on what this article hints at http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/book-news/comics/article/44698-random-house-to-shift-manga-publishing-to-kodansha-usa-publishing.html?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly%27s+PW+Daily&utm_campaign=3cb5afb515-UA-15906914-1&utm_medium=email

Is Akira the same price as DH's? Maybe the GITS's price difference threw me off.

That article makes me want to cry. The way they make it sound they're NOT going to continue some of the series. I thought for a couple hours I MIGHT actually get more Princess Resurrection, but now that fleeting happiness is gone again...
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I think this podcast with Jason Thompson describes the current market really well- http://www.anime3000.com/features/manga-corner/629-manga-corner-with-jason-thompson.html

It's still strong, still viable, still a place where we'll get a lot of manga. But publishers are starting to be more realistic about what they're licensing, and avoiding potential clunkers. If a series isn't selling well enough, it won't be supported if it doesn't make the right numbers it needs to keep going. Stuff gets cancelled now- which isn't really all that odd, it's a common occurence in domestic comics [and in Japan for that matter].

If Kodansha cancels a title, it's because the resources/time put into it aren't justified by it's sales- which means those resources/time will be put into a new title that might have a better chance at keeping a steady audience.

If you don't want titles to be cancelled, the best thing to do is to BUY THEM. Don't wait until they're finished- buy them as they're being released. Tell your friends who like it to support it. Keep the title going, and you'll get quicker releases and a completed series. Because comics are both an art and a business, and sometimes that means they have to stop making some titles if the titles can't support themselves.

All that said, I imagine most of the titles will continue, or they'll find alternatives like omnibuses for some considering Del Rey had been having some success with that. It's as only doom/gloom as manga fans choose to make it. Be optimistic, support the titles they release you want, and things will be good.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Just as Genshiken two (manga) is announced, Del Ray essentialy throws in the towel. I am not saying that said series was licensed yet, but since the last series was, there was a chance.

Now that fifty percent chance of that said series now becomes a question mark. Well, hopefully this doesn't hit the fan and end up being a gigantic mess.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, Huston we have a problem here.

If it make you feel better, it should be noted that Genshiken was published in Afternoon, one of Kodansha's magazines.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO >.<
Harafan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
People, if you haven't read the PW article (link above in Paploo's post) here is one of the big points to consider:

Quote:
He said that Random House will continue, “handling much of the publishing side, such as editorial, production, sales and marketing.”

Aside from licensing and money matters, that's pretty much everything there is to publishing manga in the US. So odds are the translators, letterers, editors, etc. will be pretty much the same as before.

However, money matters are very important, so pricing may be affected.

Here's the bad news from the original announcement:
Quote:
Del Rey's ongoing manga titles which were licensed by Kodansha will be gradually taken over by Kodansha USA Publishing on a per-title basis.

That means that anybody who is hoping that low-selling series will continue may be disappointed. Nothing's for certain, but that isn't a good quote to have in there.
laceblade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed the high quality of Del Rey's releases, in terms of aesthetics but especially their translations. William Flanagan's translations for Tsubasa and xxxHolic in particular have been fabulous. I hope that he keeps his job.

Like many people, I am hoping for a re-release of Sailor Moon. I own the entire MIXX/Tokyopop release, but these are the flimsiest volumes I've ever seen in U.S. manga - the glue job is just terrible. If nothing else, at least Kodansha can glue the pages together, right??
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
All the bells and whistles Del Rey added were nice, but...I'm really just happy having manga I want in english. If Kodasha can do a decent job of that I really don't care about the take over.

Am I alone in this?

To a point, no, but treat us like a red-headed step-child and it will be time for sharp-pointy objects.

Also, what is with all the omnibus hate? You get more content at a time, generally lower (equivalent) price, and best of all most publishers print them on larger pages. Where is the consumers' down-side in this?
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
All the bells and whistles Del Rey added were nice, but...I'm really just happy having manga I want in english. If Kodasha can do a decent job of that I really don't care about the take over.

Am I alone in this?

To a point, no, but treat us like a red-headed step-child and it will be time for sharp-pointy objects.

Also, what is with all the omnibus hate? You get more content at a time, generally lower (equivalent) price, and best of all most publishers print them on larger pages. Where is the consumers' down-side in this?

Because when they start turning into omnibus in the middle of the series it looks retarded on your bookshelf. Don't get me wrong, I have all of the VizBig editions of Vagabond, but that's because the series is like that. I'm halfway through Wallflower, but now I don't want to continue buying it when I'm going to have that disproportionate book sitting next to the normal size ones.
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how things are going to be but I would be so happy if we could get more Gakuen Prince, Nodame Cantabile, Papillon - Hana to Chou, The Wallflower and My Heavenly Hockey Club. I am not really that worried about xxxHOLiC, Tsubasa -RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE- and Fairy Tail as they are doing good.

Last edited by HatsumiShinogu on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and School Rumble are the two series I absolutely want to continue seeing.

I just got the latest of both of those series, and I don't even mind the omnibus format of School Rumble, because it's a similar size and you save a bit of money. I just want to see the rest of both series in similar quality and style...

If everything continues as normal, then okay. But it's bad when your investments into a series never gets completed...
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
rhetoricalnoise wrote:
Getting Sailor Moon back in print seems like a really good idea. Does anyone know if the rights issues that are causing problems with the anime also extend to the manga?

It was recently hinted at Anime Expo, Anime Evolution & the AnimeOnDVD forums that someone might have the manga rights.
Jure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I am currently buying two series that are being published by Del Rey, Ghost Hunt and Sayonara Zetusbou Sensei. I just hope those two remains in same format and quality until the end (come on, only two more volumes of Ghost Hunt, don't screw this up).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8