• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-10-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
it's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine.

now we know that neko-kitsune are an element of destruction...
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
That already happens at my local conventions. Not so much the hugging is causing it, but the ones in my area are being sucked into a hole so to speak. Rolling Eyes
Funny comic this week Robin! Razz

Quote:

Love the R.E.M. referance.

Last edited by Youkai Warrior on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

now we know that neko-kitsune are an element of destruction...

I just ate some dodgy pasta and I feel ill...

Any reason why it's not Kitsuneko?
XYZeke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
It started with a simple hug, then..... there was darkness.

lol. Great comic!
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the nekomimi are in front?
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
i think Doc's theory of the space time continuum being destroyed because of seeing the "other" you has been busted. hugs will destroy the continuum.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I like the Free Hug movement, but it doesn't fit a con well.

It's an idea to lift the spirits of others with a simple unselfish act, but, while occasionally frustrating, cons aren't normally places where people need a hug. An attendee is already probably psyched and happy to be at the place they chose to be.

People don't tend to like to be solicited with an unneeded product.

So I guess the idea of the comic is that these two, who never get a hug at a con, suddenly upset the fabric of time/space with the unatural act of a "free hug" actually being given.

I'd argue the opposite, a lot of people at cons are there because it's the one place they sorta feel they might be able to connect with another person because there is still a large portion of the anime fandom that would consider themselves social outcasts, or at least socially awkward. And really, as long as there is nothing but good intentions behind it, I see no reason not to get a free hug at a con or otherwise. They just make you feel good. Unless of course you suffer from anxiety over human contact or something like that, but cons usually allow you to choose if you want that free hug or not, and polite people will ask if they can hug someone before they go in for the arm wrapping Smile
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Why this reminds me of the 1st shot of the Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars 1st OP

And just in case go to Crunchyroll and watch SRW OG : The Inspector

PS: JAM Project ROCKS!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Guess this is why these types of things are banned at most conventions now. It all makes sense now!!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
And that's how punctuation is made in a Dragon Quest Text Box.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
So if existence ended with the free hug continuum does that mean a new order would be created from the meeting of a yaoi paddle and a baka hammer?
batou65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Once at AX a vendor randomly said to me, "I love you." The first thing I randomly thought to say in response was, "I love you too." He was all ecstatic because he'd been saying it to people all day and I was the first one to give the right answer.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the nekomimi are in front?

Kitsunekomimi?

I imagine the big ending of this weeks' strip to be the 4th(?) impact... pulling back to reveal a giant Nina w/ Eva wings like the Rei from the End of Eva movie. Zoom in to Kevin and Paola on the beach, dressed as Shinji and Asuka, respectively(?)(Just for kicks , let's say not). Never-the-less, just like the movie, it's not going well because despite the being the only other person on earth and his 'free hugs' sign, Paola still won't give him one.

The only good thing(for me, anyway) is Winn-Lee was issued a restraining order.
Jonasan
ANN Video Director & Producer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Wow that was creepy Anime smile
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Yorozuya wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although I did like the comic, I didn't really get the joke. The otaku themed woman meets another person who is offering free hugs as well and that causes mayhem?

Good comic though Robin, I just don't comprehend the overal message. However, if one were to use serious analytical thinking on this piece, the message may indeed be conveyed in a complete rational answer thereon reducing the possibility of incomprehension of this work.

Using such means may indeed be pivotal to finding a conclusive answer to the message of this article.

You say what?

Anyway, a fun comic, though normally these guys just gather in a group and nag at people :/ (at least from what I've seen) My dad felt really uncomfortable when he took me and my little brother to a convention in London and all these young teenage girls kept asking him for free hugs. It creeped me out too really...

Ah, I think I get where you are coming at. I am not at all surprized that you found it creepy and your dad wasn't at ease. I would feel the exact same way, especially if they weren't 18 or older and didn't know if they were indeed women and not men dressed as women.

Not even I could make that situation non awkward or not at all creepy. You'd think they would ask people their own age for such trivialities, but to each their own. But asking a complete and total stranger for a hug is just plain strange. Asking for the time is one thing, but past that can get a bit much.

So how did your Father handle the situation at the time? It's a pretty uncomfortable situation, especially if your kids are around to see it.

In the end he just left and went out to buy some coffee leaving us kids get on with it. I think he spent a total of 5 minutes in there before he realised he had to get out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3