• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Woman Arrested for Uploading Anime via Perfect Dark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tudza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe the problem with Perfect Dark is that while the postings and transfers are securely anonymous, the system for posting notices about new files made available is not. The explanation I read seemed to indicate that the people caught had posted to some public notice system and those postings kept a record of their IP.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
You believe it's thievery, many do not. I don't think I have to justify anything. What I do requires only voluntarily beneficial transactions between individuals. What you want requires the use of a monopoly mafia to tell everyone that they have to do something or not do something. That monopoly has been well known to use it's power, whether or not the end goal is good or whether or not the means is good. The law enforcers are paid by thievery.

Beneficial to you and the other person, but not so much for the people that actually own the rights to the show, or else they wouldn't try to fight it.

Xanas wrote:

But you don't have any legitimate right to force me to do what you want anymore than you have a right to force pot smokers not to smoke pot or homosexuals not to be gay.

Big problem with your argument. Being gay isn't illegal and smoking pot is (at least in most places), so lumping them together is inaccurate. Plus, currently, distributing copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright owner is illegal, so there is a right to force you to stop. We've all seen the arguments about the morality of this subject go round and round, but the fact is that behavior as described in the article is currently illegal.

*Note: I cut out a lot of the prior post so I could more accurately focus my response.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Beneficial to you and the other person, but not so much for the people that actually own the rights to the show, or else they wouldn't try to fight it.

The "rights" were conferred by government fiat. I'd be agreeable to penalties based on them if I agreed to a contract of some sort saying that I wouldn't copy. But I didn't do this, and neither do most people.

Greed1914 wrote:

Big problem with your argument. Being gay isn't illegal and smoking pot is (at least in most places), so lumping them together is inaccurate.

Being gay has been illegal in some places and in many times in history. Try to be openly gay over in Saudi Arabia. It's an arbitrary rule that has existed based on morality some people had that they wanted to force on others. Pot smoking is exactly the same in this regard. Both of these may be things that some people disagree with but that doesn't give them the right to use aggression against others to make them the same.

Quote:

Plus, currently, distributing copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright owner is illegal, so there is a right to force you to stop. We've all seen the arguments about the morality of this subject go round and round, but the fact is that behavior as described in the article is currently illegal.

I'm not denying what the state's decree is. I would say that the state can't grant "rights" but it can certainly enforce regulations and create privileges by using force. I don't deny that it does this, but instead deny that we should have a monopoly agent of force that exists to do this.

Society should be built around the non-aggression principle, that being that I have no right to initiate aggression against others. By inference, I have no right to vote or request someone else to initiate aggression on my behalf. I do have a right to defend myself, but not to initiate aggression against someone else.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
You believe it's thievery, many do not. I don't think I have to justify anything. What I do requires only voluntarily beneficial transactions between individuals. What you want requires the use of a monopoly mafia to tell everyone that they have to do something or not do something. That monopoly has been well known to use it's power whether or not the end goal is good or whether or not the means is good. The law enforcers are paid by thievery.

I only chime in to point out the amusing irony of that in itself being a circular justification for your actions. Nevertheless, your comments about anime "monopoly" are disappointing, because I was hoping for a second there I'd run into a rare breed of anime sociopath.

Quote:
...I buy anime because it's beneficial for me to buy it. I download it because it's beneficial for me to do that as well. I don't force anyone to accept that what I do is morally right. If you want to freely disassociate from me because you don't like what I do then by all means do so. But you don't have any legitimate right to force me to do what you want anymore than you have a right to force pot smokers not to smoke pot or homosexuals not to be gay.

It's curious you'd say "force" to begin with; if something is morally right, shouldn't merely demonstrating so be enough to explain yourself?

And since when is torrenting a civil rights issue on the scale of homosexuality? On the one hand, you've got a minority of people persecuted for being who they are, and on the other a few people being held accountable for what they do. Someone's sexual identity has no bearing on anyone else's well-being; actions however, can and do. Whether or not you believe your actions to be negative, to say identity is an action is quite simply wrong by definiton. But perhaps by "be gay" you are referring to homosexual activity; that is of course an action, but one that occurs with mutual consent, hopefully to the benefit of both parties. If neither of these criteria are satisfied, I hope it's obvious to you there is a problem. In comparison to illegal downloading, the activity of such is done neither with the consent of the rights holders nor to their benefit.

This concludes my objection to your shameless exploitation of the social oppression of gays to justify your animes. I'm not going to force you to acknowledge how ignorant or offensive that was, if you want to freely (or non-freely, even) disassociate from me or anyone else you'd like to because you don't like being held accountable for being ridiculous, you have my express permission to do so.

No really, I insist. :p
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

I only chime in to point out the amusing irony of that in itself being a circular justification for your actions.

What gave you the right to write this post, or to go to work, etc?

Copying is no different than walking or talking or any myriad of other things that humans do. We copy merely by seeing, listening, etc. It is our nature. If you think this is amusing you should explain yourself.

It's curious you'd say "force" to begin with; if something is morally right, shouldn't merely demonstrating so be enough to explain yourself?

If morality could easily be conferred by explanation none of humanity would have disagreements over any of it. But you will find multiple religions and many views on all sorts of things.

And since when is torrenting a civil rights issue on the scale of homosexuality?

What are "civil rights"? (Seriously, the term is used so many ways) I didn't make that argument in any case, the purpose of the comparison was to display that neither homosexuality nor smoking pot nor copying is an act of aggression. I am a voluntarist, so I believe that which doesn't involve initiation of aggression is ok, insofar as no one elses person or property was damaged.

In comparison to illegal downloading, the activity of such is done neither with the consent of the rights holders nor to their benefit.

I don't need the consent of a third party to begin a transaction between myself and someone else. The whole point of my post is that I don't believe the state can "give rights" to others that allow them to restrict the use of my property and tell with whom I can and can't trade.

I'm not going to force you to acknowledge how ignorant or offensive that was, if you want to freely (or non-freely, even) disassociate from me or anyone else you'd like to because you don't like being held accountable for being ridiculous, you have my express permission to do so.

Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. The very fact I don't accept your view is what offends you, so any argument I would offer in regards to it would probably irritate you.

It's obvious that you need force to make me accept your morals or you wouldn't be in support of police enforcement for state granted monopoly rights. Apparently you weren't capable of demonstrating your morals like you imagined.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
The "rights" were conferred by government fiat.

So were all rights. There's no such thing as natural rights - all rights are political and legal constructs.

Quote:
I do have a right to defend myself, but not to initiate aggression against someone else.

See above. Who granted you that right?

Quote:
I'd be agreeable to penalties based on them if I agreed to a contract of some sort saying that I wouldn't copy. But I didn't do this, and neither do most people.

So all laws should be opt in? The logistics of such a system would surely be...problematic.

In any case, in a representative democracy your vote is your contract. Don't like the law? Vote for somebody who agrees with you. Can't find anybody? Run for office yourself.

Quote:
Society should be built around the non-aggression principle, that being that I have no right to initiate aggression against others.

A noble sentiment but helping yourself to the fruits of somebody else's labour without their consent and in the face of their protests could be construed as being pretty aggressive.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

So were all rights. There's no such thing as natural rights - all rights are political and legal constructs.

"Might makes right"? I don't necessarily disagree with this notion entirely, but those rights that are in my view legitimate are necessarily founded upon those rights that are required for human interaction to continue peacefully.

I can't go around murdering other people. I can't use someone's car because if do then they can't use it. I can't steal someone's money because then they don't have it. Aggression against person or property is clearly wrong.

And if it is wrong, it's also wrong for the government to do it, and since the government exists entirely because of it (unless there's some government I haven't heard of that doesn't tax) government itself is illegitimate.

Quote:

So all laws should be opt in? The logistics of such a system would surely be...problematic.

The logistics only look problematic when you go around trying to enforce all sorts of laws that only make sense within a statist paradigm of a monopoly on force. Most laws are entirely illegitimate. Taxes and protectionist tariffs and all the related redistributionary policies of the state are just theft and robbery.

Those laws which cover aggression (me stealing from you, or me killing you, etc.) are something everyone already agrees with by virtue of not wanting to themselves be killed, stolen from, etc. And if they don't agree with this such that they do purposefully initiate aggression against others, they have no right to complain when this is used against them.

(Insofar as you desire to paint my copying from people as aggression, I've got absolutely no problems with you copying from me Smile )

Quote:

In any case, in a representative democracy your vote is your contract. Don't like the law? Vote for somebody who agrees with you. Can't find anybody? Run for office yourself.

So if I don't vote at all there is no contract? Fine by me. To become a politician is simply to become another who is part of the system of institutionalized violence known as the state. Representative democracies have committed all sorts of attrocities. Democracy is no panacea.

Quote:

A noble sentiment but helping yourself to the fruits of somebody else's labour without their consent and in the face of their protests could be construed as being pretty aggressive.

Is it aggressive if I write a book that sells well and causes your book to sell for less? I'd say no. If your objection is that I at least had to work to write another book then I'd ask if people not buying a book because they don't like it makes them guilty of aggression (since it still denies the author profit, and required no substitute be made)? I'd say no there too, and I don't think you'd disagree on either of those 2 points.

The value of goods is entirely subjective. If I buy a GM car, the fact they lost money making that car doesn't mean I stole from them. It just means they didn't properly evaluate the costs of production and the money that could be made selling the car.

I don't think that non-scarce things (like words, paragraphs, etc.) are ownable and thus they are not goods in an economic sense. If I copy something it's nothing at all like taking something. You still have the original in the former, and not in the latter.

This doesn't mean that I don't think someone can sell goods that have non-scarce things on them. Certainly they can do so, and do so all the time. But what is purchased is not the non-scarce "copy" but rather the medium of distribution, or the use of the service which allowed it to be downloaded or streamed, etc.

I'll also just re-iterate that I do buy anime just as much as I download it, so it's not that I'm looking never to pay for anything/etc. But I do this because I value what I bought, and I value it enough that I want to give to those who made it (instead of someone else) so that they continue producing new things.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

What gave you the right to write this post, or to go to work, etc?

Copying is no different than walking or talking or any myriad of other things that humans do. We copy merely by seeing, listening, etc. It is our nature. If you think this is amusing you should explain yourself.

Easy to please, I see. Wink

Quote:
If morality could easily be conferred by explanation none of humanity would have disagreements over any of it. But you will find multiple religions and many views on all sorts of things.

It's not easy, but as long as it's a problem it isn't going to solve itself. According to written history, we've made some progress. There's room for a little more, don't you think?

Quote:
What are "civil rights"? (Seriously, the term is used so many ways) I didn't make that argument in any case, the purpose of the comparison was to display that neither homosexuality nor smoking pot nor copying is an act of aggression. I am a voluntarist, so I believe that which doesn't involve initiation of aggression is ok, insofar as no one elses person or property was damaged.

Sure, but homosexuality isn't an act at all. See the prior post.

Quote:
I don't need the consent of a third party to begin a transaction between myself and someone else. The whole point of my post is that I don't believe the state can "give rights" to others that allow them to restrict the use of my property and tell with whom I can and can't trade.

Yeah, sure. I'll give you that. There are plenty of good reasons to respect these rights though; as I'm sure you know, many activities deemed "criminal" are harmful to people. One such example might be the creation of labour laws. In my country, they regulate what is acceptible for work environments, unions, and that sort of thing. AFAIK, every developed nation has these. Do you really think it's a good thing if people who need jobs need to concede to working in places that are exploitative to workers? I mean, people can choose where to work, if they don't like being treated like garbage they can quit, right? I bet you artists can just quit art and work in mines if they don't like their work being compromised. But that would sure suck. Why not protect the artists? Do they deserve to be cheated?

Quote:
Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. The very fact I don't accept your view is what offends you, so any argument I would offer in regards to it would probably irritate you.

Well, axe murderers don't accept my view and they offend me. Are you saying you stand on the same ground? I don't think a coward is on the same level as a murderer. If you're that intimidated by the prospect of my irritation, try to focus on demonstrating some responsibility rather than making a flak jacket out of gays.

Quote:
It's obvious that you need force to make me accept your morals or you wouldn't be in support of police enforcement for state granted monopoly rights. Apparently you weren't capable of demonstrating your morals like you imagined.

Statements about my personal morality began and ended with what I said about well-being and consent being two necessary criteria to homosexual behaviour. I trust you agree? Also, I clearly stated "my objection to your shameless exploitation of the social oppression of gays to justify your animes". The onus is on you, having asserted the connection, to demonstrate it. I have a problem with your logic first; your confounding morals are only accesory to that. Seriously, can't gays catch a break?
Crescentvn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Yes, u're absolutely right. Howerver, just dont share it with a lot of people, at the same time, or rather, dont use the internets to do that. Do it face to face, and nobody will complain.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Xanas, make your point and discuss or be done. Discussions aren't your soapbox, and you obviously have no intention but to repeat yourself over and over and preach to others with no regard of maintaining and actual dialog. These threads are not your excuse for a political anti-government and anti-rights for artists soapbox, so knock it off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn, this is the 2nd time that I've been told that this soapboxing rule is intended to deal with my replies to other people.

If replying to people (with no sarcasm or ad hominem attacks) is not "maintaining a discussion" then I don't know what is. If you think I've been generally disrespectful of people here I'd like to know how.

The only thing I've said that could be taken that way at all is a lack of acceptance in your belief that artists have a right to a monopoly over what they worked on. I understand people are offended by that. But they aren't so offended that they don't want to discuss it with me. On the contrary, they appear to be interested in replying to what I've said, and now I can't reply back.

I know this is no free speech zone. This is a private website and you have every right to censor me. So if you want to tie my hands behind my back and make me unable to reply I'll accept that. I'm going to read the other reply I got here and respond to it in the interest of doing what you say I'm not and then that will be my last post in this thread.

Last edited by Xanas on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote

It's not easy, but as long as it's a problem it isn't going to solve itself. According to written history, we've made some progress. There's room for a little more, don't you think?

I'm not sure how you are defining progress. I see that in the 20th century we've had the greatest regressions in individual rights and freedom. It was the 19th century that saw an advance of liberalism, and the prosperity that followed it and continued into this century was the result.

It is not more violence that we need to achieve goals, it is less interference between those who voluntarily trade.

Quote:

Sure, but homosexuality isn't an act at all. See the prior post.

I guess I should say "gay sex" but I don't really like it. To be honest I'm a bit of a homophobe. I have no desire to stop homosexuals from doing anything they want privately, and I'll agree it is natural for some (not all though, there are bisexuals/etc. and that should make it clear if anything there is some choice involved in the matter). That doesn't mean I have to like it. I do find it distasteful, and that's one reason I use the example is because it's something I personally dislike but I have no right to subject others to my preference when they aren't using aggression against me.

I'm a free market advocate in the extreme, and while I'd love to get into the your points on labour laws, regulations, unions, etc. (because I despise them for the use of violence they all entail) I can't do it here for now, so if you want to take this up elsewhere I have no problems with that.

Suffice it to say in summary on these issues you brought up that I don't agree that the results you think would occur from getting rid of these laws would happen. Many of these laws (child labor, minimum wage, etc.) occurred long after advancements produced by the market allowed for them. They really serve to keep people down by giving them no avenues up, and in regards to child labor I think vocational training is significantly more important than "generalized education." More internships in modern society with less public schooling would benefit us on the whole.

Quote:

Why not protect the artists? Do they deserve to be cheated?

Because I don't think we need to "protect" them from other people. They can really do it on their own. There are many people who vehemently disagree with intellectual property but have just as much desire to see artists continue to make art, etc. And we will do what we have to, even buying within the current system regardless of how much we dislike it, to see that occur. I've got no desire at all to see less art or to see artists do poorly. This system we have now steals from them and many other productive people to give to hedge fund managers that only earn what they do because of the continual inflation created by government central banks.

I've also got no love of corporations, particularly corporate welfare, bailouts, etc. as all of those things draw money away from the people to put it in the pockets of the wealthy. But regardless of whether our regimes are conservative (interested in war, and laws on morality) or liberal (interested in welfare and redistribution) they all extend state power and only ensure inevitable bankruptcy.

Quote:

Well, axe murderers don't accept my view and they offend me. Are you saying you stand on the same ground? I don't think a coward is on the same level as a murderer. If you're that intimidated by the prospect of my irritation, try to focus on demonstrating some responsibility rather than making a flak jacket out of gays.

I don't think I said I was intimidated? I simply don't think I can be anything but offensive to you. I imagine you have views that I dislike immensely and would find offensive also.

Quote:

Statements about my personal morality began and ended with what I said about well-being and consent being two necessary criteria to homosexual behaviour. I trust you agree?

I don't disagree with your points there, the reason I brought up homosexuality was to put it in a voluntary context. While I may personally not like it, it's voluntary and I have no justification for trying to force people not to act on it.

Quote:

Also, I clearly stated "my objection to your shameless exploitation of the social oppression of gays to justify your animes". The onus is on you, having asserted the connection, to demonstrate it. I have a problem with your logic first; your confounding morals are only accesory to that. Seriously, can't gays catch a break?

My logic is simple. Having voluntary homosexual relationships is voluntary (no surprise there). Buying drugs which you choose to buy is voluntary. Copying files on the internet from someone else in a peer to peer exchange is voluntary. That's the connection, and so I think it's illegitimate for someone to interfere in any one of those things, regardless of whether some of them are choices based on personal preference or sexual preference or weird chemical deficiencies in the brain.

The law should not interfere with voluntary transactions.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Xanas, I'd really like to know, if YOU were the one arrested, how would your logic hold up in a court of law? How could you possibly defend yourself with that kind of thinking?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
And this is why I genuinely enjoy coming to Anime News Network. Everyone has a opinion and usually go into detail about it. For me, it's quite the exciting and very fun experience.

On topic, you'd think if a person is going to do all the work and upload said files, they would do it in a not so obvious fashion. That does mean what she did wasn't a crime, but I don't understand the mind frame of this individual.

Another question that pop's into my thought train (or process) is how she is able to upload anime when she her self is without funding (meaning a job) and the means (unless she has a computer in her possession.)
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

I'm not sure how you are defining progress. I see that in the 20th century we've had the greatest regressions in individual rights and freedom. It was the 19th century that saw an advance of liberalism, and the prosperity that followed it and continued into this century was the result.

It is not more violence that we need to achieve goals, it is less interference between those who voluntarily trade.

I think it's safe to assume you aren't a woman? Nor are you a homosexual, I suppose. Perhaps you aren't a member of any of the groups of people oppressed up until the latter half of the 20th century and to some extent still facing difficulties today. I should think so, with the kind of tunnel vision on display. In North America and beyond, both the standard of human rights and the monitoring and protection of them is head and shoulders above of what it was pre-WWII. In the US and Canada, thousands of Mexican and Chinese immigrant workers worked at banal wages under life-threatening conditions (during the peak of railway construction in British Colombia circa 1893, 1500 of the 6000-7500 Chinese labour force died). Chinese were ostracized by the citizenry and politicians alike, often chased from towns and mining sites despite being an essential addition to the nation. In Canada (and America as well I believe) a head tax specifically for Chinese was introduced, and was 500 dollars at its peak in Canada before the Anti-Immigration Act of 1923 barred the people from entering the country. Japanese were interned in camps during WWII in both countries; they were also subject to violent riots in Vancouver. The local Police in many instances were absoltuely useless until the matter had settled. Basically, East Asians alone were treated like garbage and lived in ghettos for decades in North America. An then an obvious one is women being able to vote and work. The list goes on...I mean, listen to Chris Rock. There was an animosity and ignorance towards minorities in North America pre and still even post-WWII that only even began to wane when people in the government made and enforced laws to protect them.

It is bizarre that you would say we haven't made progress. Are you an Aryan Supremist? Because let me tell you, pre-WWII was your Disneyland!

Quote:

I guess I should say "gay sex" but I don't really like it. To be honest I'm a bit of a homophobe. I have no desire to stop homosexuals from doing anything they want privately, and I'll agree it is natural for some (not all though, there are bisexuals/etc. and that should make it clear if anything there is some choice involved in the matter). That doesn't mean I have to like it. I do find it distasteful, and that's one reason I use the example is because it's something I personally dislike but I have no right to subject others to my preference when they aren't using aggression against me.

I'm a free market advocate in the extreme, and while I'd love to get into the your points on labour laws, regulations, unions, etc. (because I despise them for the use of violence they all entail) I can't do it here for now, so if you want to take this up elsewhere I have no problems with that.

Suffice it to say in summary on these issues you brought up that I don't agree that the results you think would occur from getting rid of these laws would happen. Many of these laws (child labor, minimum wage, etc.) occurred long after advancements produced by the market allowed for them. They really serve to keep people down by giving them no avenues up, and in regards to child labor I think vocational training is significantly more important than "generalized education." More internships in modern society with less public schooling would benefit us on the whole.

I didn't say you had to like gays. I say you're making a catagorical error in saying the freedom to be gay is the same as the freedom to seed torrents. Identity vs. action. That said it's kind of a relief to see you care about something other than free cartoons. And I agree about education. Onward.

Quote:
Because I don't think we need to "protect" them from other people. They can really do it on their own. There are many people who vehemently disagree with intellectual property but have just as much desire to see artists continue to make art, etc. And we will do what we have to, even buying within the current system regardless of how much we dislike it, to see that occur. I've got no desire at all to see less art or to see artists do poorly. This system we have now steals from them and many other productive people to give to hedge fund managers that only earn what they do because of the continual inflation created by government central banks.

I've also got no love of corporations, particularly corporate welfare, bailouts, etc. as all of those things draw money away from the people to put it in the pockets of the wealthy. But regardless of whether our regimes are conservative (interested in war, and laws on morality) or liberal (interested in welfare and redistribution) they all extend state power and only ensure inevitable bankruptcy.

Okay. I don't know the details of how to change our current system and I don't know when change will occur. Like education, as flawed as it is it's what we've got; if there's some political movement to revolutionize ownership rights to the benefit of all, count me in! I don't see how torrenting copywritten content artists make for a living furthers this end. Which isn't to say I wouldn't ever engage in such activities; I matter too, and if companies aren't going to make certain titles available I might be less than accommodating. It frustrates me too, that artists don't seem to get their just desserts in all of this. I'm not certain on where exactly we diverge on this point; I think a lot of people vocal about supporting artists approach torrenting in this pragmatic sort of way.

Quote:
I don't think I said I was intimidated? I simply don't think I can be anything but offensive to you. I imagine you have views that I dislike immensely and would find offensive also.

Well if you aren't intimidated at causing offense, why so apologetic? I'm not interested in having my own opinion parroted back at me; I responded to you precisely because there is an intruiging difference here. It's an opportunity to learn something. These forums are too stringently moderated to facilitate anything less, wouldn't you say? Wink

Quote:
I don't disagree with your points there, the reason I brought up homosexuality was to put it in a voluntary context. While I may personally not like it, it's voluntary and I have no justification for trying to force people not to act on it.

Sexuality is about as voluntary as Tourette Syndrome.

Quote:
My logic is simple. Having voluntary homosexual relationships is voluntary (no surprise there). Buying drugs which you choose to buy is voluntary. Copying files on the internet from someone else in a peer to peer exchange is voluntary. That's the connection, and so I think it's illegitimate for someone to interfere in any one of those things, regardless of whether some of them are choices based on personal preference or sexual preference or weird chemical deficiencies in the brain.

I'll raise you to "oversimplified". Sexual relationships are a human need; it does significant damage to a human being to be without them, just ask anyone here on the forums. Laughing I agree that illegalization of drugs for the purposes of demonizing the Hispanic population is unjust, but I do not agree that it is comparable to the frontier of digital copyrights (I guess that's what you call them?). As I'm sure you're aware, the model for copyright was made in an era where this wasn't an issue. It's really broken, I'm with you on that. But these things are all very different issues and to simply say that one can voluntarily engage in romance, drug usage, and downloading is an oversimplification of their implications, not an offense to my humour.

On the topic of the article, I think it's also important to consider the accused is resident to the place where this content is available in its fullest. Know how much it costs to rent a DVD in Japan? It's not unusual to get a disc for 100 yen, I've even seen them for 80 yen at Tsutaya. Know how much it costs to rip that with AnyDVD? Zero dollars. It costs even less to use your own damn DVR. I wonder if Mitsudomoe isn't even available for streaming officially somewhere. Is this person deserving of our sympathies?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5