• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Woman Arrested for Uploading Anime via Perfect Dark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I just wanted to point out a few more impossibilities. Perfect Dark does not have a password to start it up/login, nor does it keep a list of uploaded files. So no one would be able to hack an account or see what someone has uploaded after the fact, except by using the tripcode (or sign as PD calls it) and somehow matching that to an individual.
Like someone else said, this is probably due more to user stupidity (i.e. bragging elsewhere on the internets and leaving a trackable trail) than PD being cracked.

You can still look at the password and the hash (or whatever those two fields are called) and you could get the password from there to...log into...remote desktop...by...solving...the...time paradox...
Stop making me look bad in front of my fans!

@Xanas and everyone responding to Xanas
This isn't going anywhere, like, ever. You know that, right?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Not with that kind of attitude it isn't!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
The privacy of people is important, and you don't know if they are using encryption to share a personal video or something else before you start, so you invade everyone's privacy in order to find those who are doing what the state has deemed illegal, including that of the innocent. Why should I trust that? Are police now angels who can do no wrong?

Not if their starting point is a public admission of lawbreaking.

If some law enforcement agency got a subpoena based on what you posted here, then tracked you around the internet and looked in your files, you would have a hard time trying to claim invasion of privacy. How has your privacy been invaded when you already have exposed everything about yourself in a public forum?

---And just because you don't perceive what you are doing as illegal, doesn't mean that they will. What you may call a "personal video", they will call "stolen property".
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
Man...this chick had it comin, every good pirate knows you don't go through channels that's known to be the downfall of those that came before you.
alexvoda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
In an ideal world, one of the human rights should be:
"Access to information must be free for each individual."

This means that anyone should have free access to any information be it scientific research, movies, music, literature, etc..

This however does not include any right to use that information (patents still apply, derivative works require the permission of the author) except where fair use applies(commentary, criticism, news reporting, research or education).
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

If some law enforcement agency got a subpoena based on what you posted here, then tracked you around the internet and looked in your files, you would have a hard time trying to claim invasion of privacy. How has your privacy been invaded when you already have exposed everything about yourself in a public forum?

What if it was in jest like a joke? A riddle perhaps? Maybe a limerick? How about a funny anecdote? Y'know, no punchline, just a really funny story? Perhaps the intent was an ironic musing? Do you think they'll make that distinction?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

What if it was in jest like a joke? A riddle perhaps? Maybe a limerick? How about a funny anecdote? Y'know, no punchline, just a really funny story? Perhaps the intent was an ironic musing? Do you think they'll make that distinction?

Then after investigating, they'd find out it was just as a joke, and you'd not get into legal trouble, and learn a valuable lesson in online behaviour.
Or, if you had a whack of fansubs stored on your harddrive, you'd be facing a lot of trouble.

Anyhoo, I think this and the OreImo issue both show that it's time anime fandom stopped hiding behind blather about how they desever free stuff, and start thinking about how what they does affects other people, be they fans enjoying it legally, producers of the shows, or the people who've done all the hard work of licensing it here. One jerk's selfish decision can ruin things for a lot of people [and apparently land them in prison if they're in Japan]. It's not much to ask for a bit of empathy people.

I know some folks don't have a lot of money for anime/other assorted reason why they download (and can empathize with that), but lately those seem less and less reasonable in contrast to how frequently and openly it's being done, whose making money off it, and how destructive it's getting. Anime fandom has to change, or it's going to end up destroying itself.
anijunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
alexvoda wrote:
Quote:
In an ideal world, one of the human rights should be:
"Access to information must be free for each individual."

This means that anyone should have free access to any information be it scientific research, movies, music, literature, etc..

This however does not include any right to use that information (patents still apply, derivative works require the permission of the author) except where fair use applies(commentary, criticism, news reporting, research or education).

That is a description of UseNet. There you can share such data. And because of that it can be used to upload/download movies as well.
If she only had put it there, then it would have been accepted.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I wouldn't define this as public. I'm not posting my name/address/etc. here.

As far as using my posting to obtain other information about me, I know that within the current system that is all definitely possible, although highly unlikely to occur.

It'd be beyond unproductive for them to do this, because they would just end up making it impossible for me to spend money on anime that I do now. The idea that they would ever remotely approach getting me to pay more is utterly ridiculous. The cost would also be tremendous, even for an easy lawsuit like me. The government would probably spend tens of thousands at least to do this.

Quote:

What you may call a "personal video", they will call "stolen property".

I was referring to a video you made yourself that you were sharing over encrypted p2p (like perfect dark). Law enforcement starts scanning for information before they even know what is being shared.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
What I do requires only voluntarily beneficial transactions between individuals....
Except for relying on technology that has required complex societies operating under the rule of law to develop.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
It's not much to ask for a bit of empathy people.

How can you show empathy when the companies refuse to either cater to the demands of fans, try and institute ways to beat the fansubbers/translators to the punch, or are so patently xenophobic that it'll make the Klu Klux Klan look like boy scouts?
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Except for relying on technology that has required complex societies operating under the rule of law to develop.

The "rule of law" is an entirely separate matter from monopoly enforcement and creation of law.

Obviously I can't talk much, so I don't know why people are still really replying to these statements. If you want to PM me about these issues I'll gladly debate you on the subject.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Silence, ignoring your inflammatory reference, how is streaming pretty much every anime airing for the past 2 or so seasons for free legally within a day or so of airing [a week at the most for 1 or 2 titles] between Funimation, CrunchyRoll and now ANN not catering to the fans demands?
You sound to have really unrealistic, unfair expectations

It seems you and others who fuel these circular arguments are mostly trying to be contrarians, so I'm guessing nothing will please you.

Kind of like that recent episode of Family Guy, where Brian realizes with the help of newly befriended Rush Limbaugh that his opinions are mostly just him wanting to disagree with whoever's currently in power to make himself look smart. Seriously, this is *exactly* what this is all about.

You guys want to fight The Man, so you take on Evil Corporations, you Take What's Yours, you take on The Government and The Law, because those things have capital letters, and must be tackled.

It's ultimately an empty route, which is less about beliefs, and more about people really just wanting free stuff, nothing more, nothing less, with no care as to how it hurts all the people who work for these companies, the creators working on the shows, or the fans who enjoy these things via legal routes like DVD's, importing, free-streaming and other avenues that support the creators.

Everything you say is repetitive, brings nothing new to the argument, ignores the realities of stuff like this woman's arrest, the closure of scan sites and the FBI's arrest of the people behind HTML Comics, or stuff like Colleen Doran's advocacy for the most recent copyright bill in congress, showing that yes, artists are pissed and aren't taking anymore of your entitlement crap. I know I've had my fill of it, and it's making me dislike making webcomics- which I really used to like, but all the entitlement stuff from people like you just makes givign stuff away on the internet feel dirty and unappreciated. Becasue even if we give it away for free, there's still people like you who'll be jerks about it, say "That's Not Good Enough" (while pouting and/or stomping their feet) and then compare us to Nazis/KKK/EvilStuffs. These people aren't worth anime companies or comic artists or honest fans time, and should grow up.

The reality is this woman did something against the law, and is now facing the consequences of her actions. Any form of filesharing on the internet isn't bulletproof, so those sharing the files can be tracked down and prosecuted if the copyright holder feels like making an example, and sites like MangaFox can't hide behind blather like HTMLComics tried to [theirs was "we're a library!"], which is easily shot down in court and by FBI agents apparently.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
how is streaming pretty much every anime airing for the past 2 or so seasons for free legally within a day or so of airing [a week at the most for 1 or 2 titles] between Funimation, CrunchyRoll and now ANN not catering to the fans demands?
Hurray for America. The rest of the english speaking world is happy for you.
The are also the issues of video quality, dodgy subtitles (happily the vast majority of official streams have excellent translations, but there are still a few that really drop the ball), inability to watch on certain devices, requirement for a constant internet connection, etc.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Hurray for America. The rest of the english speaking world is happy for you.
The are also the issues of video quality, dodgy subtitles (happily the vast majority of official streams have excellent translations, but there are still a few that really drop the ball), inability to watch on certain devices, requirement for a constant internet connection, etc.

Most streams are accessible in Canada too, and CrunchyRoll sounds to go to lengthy efforts to stretch their streaming rights for series as widely as possible. I mean, I can't watch VIZ's stuff because we don't have Hulu here, but what the hey, a lot of work is being done, a lot of anime is available, and you have to give this stuff time to grow, and be successful, before calling it a failure as an excuse to keep up your personal piracy.

Dodgy subtitles are the consequence of having all the subtitles done in a day. If you want a quality translation, wait for it to hit dvd.

Seriously, so you can't watch it on your Ipad? Big whoop. Complaining about that just makes people sound spoiled- we have it *very* good right now, with the majority of anime being released in $30-60 season boxsets that cost 1/4 of what it used to just 2 years ago, pretty much every anime released domestically from Sentai/ADV's catalogue and Funimations and all the most recent seasons shows streaming

You don't want a constant internet connection? Buy some dvd's, get a portable dvd player, and have some fun with that. It's not anime companies jobs to be your personal servants and fulfill your every desire. It's a privilege, not a right. Grow up.

If you're outside North America, and want more anime accessible to you, support what's in your region, work for it, import, DO SOMETHING that involves more then just sitting on your computer and whining, because *that* gets nothing done. As for the english speaking world, Canada, the UK and Australia all have decently sized anime markets, so I'd say the english speaking world is generally well-serviced.

ANN folks, hope you don't mind that rant. I meant the above to be my last word on this thread, but uggh, it's like smacking your head against a brick wall.

And back to the topic, what excuse to Japanese fans have to be pirating anime? With the easy accesibility of dvd's, tv airings, and rentals and the 2nd hand market like Mandarake, it's not like anime isn't plentiful there. The Perfect Dark user got caught redhanded, and is facing prison time, and that's all there is to it. If you were in her place and got caught in Japan doing this, you'd face the same amount of prison time. There's only a thin line between her and the people sharing stuff on bittorrent here, and it's something to consider. There's a very lax culture around piracy, but it's only a matter of an update in laws (which could happen at any time)and the consequences could be very different
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5