• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They can't even get CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK on BluRay, what makes you think they're gonna bring over a 50 episode show?

*ahem* It's actually 47 episodes... Wink

Bandai Ent knows we are into Gundam they just wait until the time is right (license drops low enough) to bring it over. We will get everything in time.

You're being entirely too positive in this. I'm saying that if a measly movie has not been brought over, what makes you think they're going to attempt an entire show that's already had a bungled release here? I'd say the probability of it happening is less than 1%. If Char's Counterattack and Gundam F91's BluRays get picked up and they see how those sell, and it goods, then the chances are much higher. But as it is, it looks like Bandai doesn't really seem to care for BluRays of old things.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I think American Gundam fans overestimate the appeal of UC-Era Gundam in the US. I mean, sure Wing, Seed, and 00 are popular, but they are standalone and easily accessible. It seems like every time Bandai goes to the Gundam Well, anything UC related under performs in the sale department.

I mean, I'd buy UC Gundam on Blu-ray. But I rather dislike most of the alternate universe Gundam series, and prefer the original and its spin-off/sequels. But I'm hardly typical.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Well the Gundam and Giant mech shows dont really ever do all that well here in the US. Its a niche market of an already niche market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They can't even get CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK on BluRay, what makes you think they're gonna bring over a 50 episode show?

*ahem* It's actually 47 episodes... Wink

Bandai Ent knows we are into Gundam they just wait until the time is right (license drops low enough) to bring it over. We will get everything in time.

You're being entirely too positive in this. I'm saying that if a measly movie has not been brought over, what makes you think they're going to attempt an entire show that's already had a bungled release here? I'd say the probability of it happening is less than 1%. If Char's Counterattack and Gundam F91's BluRays get picked up and they see how those sell, and it goods, then the chances are much higher. But as it is, it looks like Bandai doesn't really seem to care for BluRays of old things.

Maybe Turn A will sell??? Bandai Ent has barely dabbled in the Blu-ray market as of yet. But yeah, getting First Gundam subtitled seems to be a start...
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Question, about Zeta Gundam. I've heard that original single releases were Dubtitled. Was that fixed for the Anime Legends Box-sets?

Now that I know I'll be picking up the original series, picking up the sequel seems like a no brainer.

Think we'll ever get Double Zeta over here in our life times?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Question, about Zeta Gundam. I've heard that original single releases were Dubtitled. Was that fixed for the Anime Legends Box-sets?

The dubtitles were in the limited edition box. Subs were fixed in the double-disc releases, which AFAIK carried over to the Anime Legends sets.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a little miffed that Bandai refused to exchange the dubtitle discs with the corrected ones, despite practically saying that the limited edition set was the only way to ever get Zeta Gundam in North America. I spent all that money on that set and Bandai refused to even acknowledge their wrong-doing. I don't even know why I bother to continue buying their products. I must have no principals.

If Zeta Gundam hadn't turned out to be my favorite Gundam series of all time, I would have thrown that set in the garbage.

As far as the possibility of ZZ being licensed, stranger things have happened. But I'm sure not going to spend a lot of money on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
I see a lot of people dissing the Gundam compilation movies because of the fact that they are compilations, but didn't those movies get made in the first place because Tomino had to make a bunch of comprimisesin the series, like pointless filler episodes and had to have that silly G-Armor? I was always under the impression that Tomino made the compilation movies because he wanted to show his true vision of Gundam, which didn't include a dozen of silly looking mobile armors/monsters of the week, and that silly merchandise attempt, the G-Armor.

Even if the "movies" are Tomino's original vision of Gundam, there are still those who do want to see the whole package, fillers and all. I'm not saying that the compilations should be disregarded entirely, I'm saying that there should be options for both sides of the party: one that wants the meat while the others that want the meat and the potatoes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
We probably should just upload a fansubbed episode of that Gundam ep on Youtube, just like the people who were pissed at George over his "special" editions of Star Wars uploaded Han shoots first. He still dicked us out of re-mastered versions of the OT, but at least he finally made it available on home video again. There's already a raw condensed version of that ep here, btw. Cool

Mr. Adventure: New dub, eh? I like the actors on that one from what I've legally streamed. Totally felt like Gundam if it were originally broadcast on American tv in the 80s.

Zalis:
Quote:
I am surprised by the announcement though; at some con a few years ago, Bandai said they weren't ever going to touch or re-release First Gundam again in any format.

They probably saw Discotek making money off of old shows and noticed new fans buying up older Gundam merchandise from the CR streaming, and decided to take a chance on it again.

RedTail: Well, Neil probably doesn't come cheap.

Anyway, I just hope if there's enough of a market for it, we'll get other old school Tomino/Sunrise shows, like a re-release of Dunbine, and/or Xabungle. As for myself, seeing the dub for free is fine with me.
Dead Honky

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
My big question in re: OG Gundam is what video transfer they choose to use. Will they cheap out and use the stuff from the original early 2000's DVD releases or will they use the remasters that hit Japan a few years ago.

I mean, I guess in the end, it's not TOO bad if it's the former, since it'll still get the best Gundam series in the hands of more people, which is always awesome. But one can hope for otherwise. I'll definitely buy official remasters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9