• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
And also, I heard K-ON! will be released in four parts. This is pretty much my reaction.

ninjapet wrote:
The songs aren't getting dubbed to

$30 a DVD, with no songs = no buy

If either of those are true, then I've pretty much lost all respect for Bandai. They have just gone beyond ridiculous nowadays. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, though, until I see this in an official press release or something.

Read it and weep:

http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=35
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
Anime cry <----- Tears of Joy

How is the dub going to work though since they cut out some scenes for the dub, is it just going to random turn back to Japanese or be silent or will there be two video tracks? Here to hoping they dubbed everything and then cut!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Well, I am officially not buying K-ON then. Saves me money, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mytopia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Not interested in the original Gundam TV series, the movie trilogy is the only way to experience the original Gundam IMO. I really have to question Bandai's Gundam strategy as of late as I'm not seeing this moving that well as I'm sure those Zeta movies haven't done well.

What are you smoking? The TV series IS the way to experience the original Gundam, because uh, it IS the original Gundam. The movies were just a method of attracting people who hadn't seen the original or are too lazy to see the original series. Do you like recaps in particular?
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I tried watching the dub for Full Moon wo Sagashite once... they didn't dub their songs either. It was very irritating to see the English speaking girl randomly start singing in Japanese.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a sub-only release than a show about a band dubbed w/out dubbing their songs. I've never actually seen K-On, and it looks like I'm gonna have to wait for a discounted Anime Legends set before I'll have a chance to.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
In other Gundam news:

bayoab wrote:
11:50:02 <bay> turn a gundam, dub? no plans

Oh, God. That better not mean what I think it means.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
You guys REALLY expected the songs to be dubbed even at this condition of the industry? We're lucky enough that K-ON! is getting a dub (a Bang Zoom! dub nonetheless).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
I tried watching the dub for Full Moon wo Sagashite once... they didn't dub their songs either. It was very irritating to see the English speaking girl randomly start singing in Japanese.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a sub-only release than a show about a band dubbed w/out dubbing their songs. I've never actually seen K-On, and it looks like I'm gonna have to wait for a discounted Anime Legends set before I'll have a chance to.
Honestly never seen K-On! either, outside of clips in AMVs or what I've seen on my brother's computer, but the idea of watching it dubbed without the songs dubbed over just seems so awkward. And releasing it in four parts? Isn't the first season only like 13 episodes? Wouldn't it just be easier to place it all on a boxset like what everyone really wants? o.O
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed the songs in K-ON! aren't being dubbed... seriously, what's the point of Vee as Mio if she doesn't sing?

On the other hand, I'm thrilled that K-ON! will have le with CD bundles. It probably is a bad move in this economy... but I'm personally very happy about it.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time is one of my favorite movies, so I'm excited for a blu-ray release... but on the other hand, I already bought the regular edition DVD, and then the le after I liked it so much... I have to buy this movie again? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I freaked out when I read that Ghost in the Shell SAC was getting a Blu ray release, until I read the Solid State Society part Sad Still getting it though.

Anyways good news for the Original Gundam series. Gonna grab that!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
You guys REALLY expected the songs to be dubbed even at this condition of the industry? We're lucky enough that K-ON! is getting a dub (a Bang Zoom! dub nonetheless).

You're right, how silly of me to expect my English dubs to be in 100% English. I'm so dumb. I mean, it's obviously better to leave would would basically be a third of the show in Japanese on the English track. Also, you're so right about how privileged we are that someone brought over K-ON. We should release 100...no A 1000 white doves to celebrate the momentous occasion. I'm wasting time, I should get right on sending Bandai a giant bouquet and box of chocolates dipped in gold.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people are so upset about K-ON! not having dubbed songs.

Now I will say that I don't like Vee and never have. I don't think she can sing well and that's my opinion. THAT SAID. The songs would not work well in English. If anyone has seen the translated lyrics they are pretty out there and would not really work well in English.

I mean if I remember correctly Fuwa Fuwa time is roughly translated as Fluffy Fluffy or something like that. People really wanna hear that in English?

I wanna know if people are upset that the songs are not in English regardless of who would have sung them or if people are angry over not getting to hear Vee sing those songs. She probably has herself singing them on Youtube or something so you could watch that.

I personally like that the songs will not be in English. They are catchy when you don't know what's being said but when you do they loss alot in the process.

The only songs that ever worked dubbed in English in my opinion are the songs from BECK and those songs were for the most part already in English and are MUCH more suited to English then the stuff in K-ON! They can't really make a BECK out of K-ON! it would have never worked. The tone of the show is to different as is the music. I think what they are doing assuming the performances are good is the right way to go.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Bilingual MSG! That rocks.

I've pretty much lost all enthusiasm fror Gundam 00 though after the second season.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for a Gundam brick set. I've been waiting for one forever.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Mytopia wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
Not interested in the original Gundam TV series, the movie trilogy is the only way to experience the original Gundam IMO. I really have to question Bandai's Gundam strategy as of late as I'm not seeing this moving that well as I'm sure those Zeta movies haven't done well.

What are you smoking? The TV series IS the way to experience the original Gundam, because uh, it IS the original Gundam. The movies were just a method of attracting people who hadn't seen the original or are too lazy to see the original series. Do you like recaps in particular?

Yeah, the only way to experience First Gundam is in all it 42 (WTF Bandai, give us ep 15) episode glory.... with the loads of 70's designed Mobile armors, lack of salt and classic Tomino style storytelling

Now i'm conflicted I would love to double dip on First Gundam, but they only took care of half of my grievances(The Japanese audio track, but not the lack of Ep 15, even if it is sub only?...)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9