• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GLORIOUS RETURN: Oreimo #1-4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
jyuichi wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
It's nice to see ANN using their NEWS box as an advertisement platform for their shows. Way to keep your entertainment and news sections seperate.

What news box? The marquee? I thought that was just for what was new to the site.

Heaven forbid I come to ANN for news.

The news is all there right under the marquee. I don't like it much because it takes up space. However, I think its ultimately good because it makes the front page look a lot nicer to occasional or new visitors compared to a wall of headlines.

My point is that they're not using their Marquee for news, but to advertise their shows. This is Anime NEWS Network, not Anime Entertainment Network.
archaron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, perish the thought they might actually be branching out to reach a wider ranch of people. Just because you don't like the content does mean you have bitch at those who do. Besides the news is still there. Gees this is not even the proper place for that type of complaint anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Sandstar - yours is a bizarre complaint. ANN always posts all announcements regarding the licensing, streaming, releasing, etc. of anime and manga in their news section. Why would they treat their own product any differently than they do the product of other sites and companies?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ANN is an anime news website in the fact that it talks about anime news. However, that isn't its only purpose.

Why, exactly, can't ANN do something that isn't related to anime news? I would understand your point, Sandstar, if they were like hosting online poker tournaments or something... but what they are doing is directly related to anime.

Where does it say that ANN can't stream anime? Where does it say that they are restricted to only giving the news?

And don't give me crap like "because it's Anime News Network..." They tell the news and they do it well.

As for the marquee, it's a tool used to give updates on important things happening on the site. Basically news and events that are recommended for your viewing. If you don't like something on it, then ignore it.

And yes, ANN simulcasting anime is considered news. It doesn't matter who is streaming it, the fact of the matter is that people have the right to know. Should they stream it and not tell us? I really don't quite understand the point you're trying to make here.

You probably don't even care about what you say you care about. You're just looking for something to complain about. I can tell because if you really felt that way, then you would have said so earlier when ANN first started doing all their side features like, oh I don't know, reviewing anime, talking about merchandise, making editorials about anime, releasing weekly web comics, and streaming anime on their video page.

If it is about anime, then it deserves to be on this website. End of discussion.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
ANN is an anime news website in the fact that it talks about anime news. However, that isn't its only purpose.

Why, exactly, can't ANN do something that isn't related to anime news? I would understand your point, Sandstar, if they were like hosting online poker tournaments or something... but what they are doing is directly related to anime.

Where does it say that ANN can't stream anime? Where does it say that they are restricted to only giving the news?

And don't give me crap like "because it's Anime News Network..." They tell the news and they do it well.

As for the marquee, it's a tool used to give updates on important things happening on the site. Basically news and events that are recommended for your viewing. If you don't like something on it, then ignore it.

And yes, ANN simulcasting anime is considered news. It doesn't matter who is streaming it, the fact of the matter is that people have the right to know. Should they stream it and not tell us? I really don't quite understand the point you're trying to make here.

You probably don't even care about what you say you care about. You're just looking for something to complain about. I can tell because if you really felt that way, then you would have said so earlier when ANN first started doing all their side features like, oh I don't know, reviewing anime, talking about merchandise, making editorials about anime, releasing weekly web comics, and streaming anime on their video page.

If it is about anime, then it deserves to be on this website. End of discussion.

Please. Why does ANN's shows get space on the Marquee, but no one else's shows get to? At this point in time, everything on the Marquee is an ADVERTISEMENT for their shows. Maybe I didn't mind their side features, because they were TO THE SIDE. They weren't given marquee space over the supposed news that I come to this site for. If I wanted streaming shows, I'd go to cruncyroll. I come here for news.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Good news! If you subscribe, you have the option of turning off the marquee. Problem solved. You're welcome.[/John Hodgman] Smile
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Good news! If you subscribe, you have the option of turning off the marquee. Problem solved. You're welcome.[/John Hodgman] Smile

Which just confirms to me it's advertising. Thank you.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

The marquee, which you incorrectly describe as the "news box", is not presented if you click on the news link or go to the news specific webpage at animenewsnetwork.com/news/

In the end, its their website and if they wish to feature anything they wish to in their marquee, they are free to do so. The website is free and you lose nothing for having the marquee. If you're not interested in the material in their marquee, you can avoid it and get straight news by using the news page rather than simply going to their splash page.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

The marquee, which you incorrectly describe as the "news box", is not presented if you click on the news link or go to the news specific webpage at animenewsnetwork.com/news/

In the end, its their website and if they wish to feature anything they wish to in their marquee, they are free to do so. The website is free and you lose nothing for having the marquee. If you're not interested in the material in their marquee, you can avoid it and get straight news by using the news page rather than simply going to their splash page.

I'm just interested to know that their major focus is licensing anime, and not reporting news anymore.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

I'm just interested to know that their major focus is licensing anime, and not reporting news anymore.

I realize your goal here is to be as unfair and accusatory as possible, but suggesting that "our" goal has shifted because we've expanded into other places while still doing everything we've always done is pretty simple-minded. We added staff to handle video, it's not like the news team is now working on anything related to video licensing instead of doing the news. What you're complaining about is a cosmetic change, not an actual change in the way we've fundamentally operated for the last couple years.

The marquee, for what it's worth, is used for major news stories - like big licensing announcements (from ANY company), big pieces of editorial like the preview guide, etcetera. Mostly though Justin fills it up with whatever new shows he has streaming on the site.

When you decide to expand into a new field, it's important to, you know, promote the fact that you've done that so your userbase knows about it. This is a pretty fundamental and easy to understand principle of business.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The marquee, for what it's worth, is used for major news stories - like big licensing announcements (from ANY company), big pieces of editorial like the preview guide, etcetera. Mostly though Justin fills it up with whatever new shows he has streaming on the site.

When was the last time you used the marquee to advertise a crunchyroll product?

Quote:

When you decide to expand into a new field, it's important to, you know, promote the fact that you've done that so your userbase knows about it. This is a pretty fundamental and easy to understand principle of business.

Well, isn't that what the full page advertising is for? What, precisely, is the difference between the marquee, and the full page advertsing you guys have done in the past. Especially since you've done them for shows you stream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6