• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
Wasn't Mari a character that was developed for the sega saturn
Eva games?
You're thinking of Mana of Girlfriend of Steel if I'm not mistaken. Mari is completely different (though she does have the same hair color more or less).

Anyway, about FUNi and simulcasts... maybe they have decided it's not really worth it? I mean, if enough people aren't watching them then why bother simulcasting them? They're going to continue with the Noitamina shows because they have a contract, but maybe they decided to only focus on those shows for now.

If the sales for Shikabane Hime (I believe that was one of their first simulcasts) were rather poor for instance, then that would weigh heavily on the future of FUNi simulcasts I would think.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Anyway, about FUNi and simulcasts... maybe they have decided it's not really worth it? I mean, if enough people aren't watching them then why bother simulcasting them? They're going to continue with the Noitamina shows because they have a contract, but maybe they decided to only focus on those shows for now.

I think if Funimation had decided to cease simulcasting, there would not be so many anime from this season remaining unannounced as licensed.

I feel rather strongly that they have licensed Fall anime for simulcast, but are holding the announcement for some unknown reason.

There are two possibilities that have been mentioned:

1. They want to do the announcements in conjunction with some announcement about their new website.

2. A possible sale of Funimation by Navarre is pending. (Something I mentioned myself on the Funimation forum, although I was only half serious at the time).
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
So, no Tsubasa/Holic news then. I wasn't expecting a miracle regarding xxxHOLiC, but I was hoping that we'd get a ballpark release date for the Tsubasa OVA's. It's starting to sound like we won't be getting them at least through the first part of next year.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this dearth of Funi announcements has anything to do with Navarre wanting to unload them. I really want the sale to happen as quickly as possible - this uncertainty blows.
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I felt that the Rebuild dub was very well put together and one of FUNi's best.

Agreed completely. Me and my friend who are both huge Eva nerds were blown away by how good the dub for that movie was. The only thing holding that movie back was a very small sense of "been there, done that" because it was pretty much the first couple episodes verbatim all over again, and that's the movie's problem, not the dub's problem. Allison Keith in particular was spectacular.

As far as fan reaction to the "you have no heart and soul," comment, I think that's just cynical anime fans who can't take a joke and feel the need to analyze ever single word FUNimation uses. That was just a creative way of saying, "this movie is good."

Let me also address the simulcasting. Just because no new simulcasts were announced doesn't mean they're going to stop simulcasting. That's a bit of a leap.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Let me also address the simulcasting. Just because no new simulcasts were announced doesn't mean they're going to stop simulcasting. That's a bit of a leap.
Certainly, but everyone was thinking, by the middle of the week when there was no word on Funimation simulcast licenses, "Oh, they're announcing at NYAF".

So now its a puzzle why there is a con the second weekend of the new season, they have not announced any simulcasts yet, and they did not announce at the con ... especially when the announcements they did make at the con were so scanty, and a simulcast slate would have made excellent distraction from the lack of anything else to announce.

TheAncientOne wrote:
I think if Funimation had decided to cease simulcasting, there would not be so many anime from this season remaining unannounced as licensed.
Especially when two series streaming in Japan on Nico Nico Douga are not yet announced, and one of the two is a stream of a sequel where Funimation has the original and its popular side-story.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
I take it there are still no news about the "upcoming" release of Ga-Rei-Zero? I'm kind of curious since they haven't even put up a website for the show yet, and the original announcements specified an "early 2011" blu-ray and dvd release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
I take it there are still no news about the "upcoming" release of Ga-Rei-Zero? I'm kind of curious since they haven't even put up a website for the show yet, and the original announcements specified an "early 2011" blu-ray and dvd release.

I am eager to hear about that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
So, no Tsubasa/Holic news then. I wasn't expecting a miracle regarding xxxHOLiC, but I was hoping that we'd get a ballpark release date for the Tsubasa OVA's. It's starting to sound like we won't be getting them at least through the first part of next year.
I'd love a release date for the Tsubasa OVAs, and even the Chobits set as well (as far as we know, Chobits is due out next year, but dunno when). I've partly - only partly - given up on Funi getting the rest of xxxHolic.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for the Negima OADs to be licensed...
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
They announced they were originally going to release FLCL this year and now its being pushed back to 2011? Why are they taking so long? Its not like they're dubbing it or doing any thing at all really. Stupid Funimation. I guess they'd rather rerelease old shit over and over again and take 15 months to release something new. I hope Funi goes out of business...
braves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
They announced they were originally going to release FLCL this year and now its being pushed back to 2011? Why are they taking so long?
The Blu-ray release that it got over in Japan was terrible. I'll wait a bit longer if it means we don't have to deal with the kind of quality it recently got.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
They announced they were originally going to release FLCL this year and now its being pushed back to 2011? Why are they taking so long? Its not like they're dubbing it or doing any thing at all really. Stupid Funimation. I guess they'd rather rerelease old over and over again. I hope they go out of business...

Because retailers can only handle so much anime, and Funimation has a huge backlog of titles, and FLCL is a premium title that deserves the best possible launch date, when stores want the most copies? They could also of been waiting on bluray materials. Have a little patience, wait your turn, and you'll have it soon enough- until then there's lots of other anime to get. I'd suggest nabbing the soon-to-disappear Gunbuster 2 OVA before it's too late.

I'm guessing the S.A.V.E re-releases are doing well for them considering Aquarion is getting re-re-reissued in November w/new packaging.

Braves- Good point about the bluray issues. It could be Funimation was taking time to do their own upscale of the material.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
shows like To Aru Majutsu No Index and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun as well as the ova for railgun have been put out there! summer wars and others. I would love to see a release of To Aru Majutsu No Index II as it comes out in japan but will have to wait and see if Funimation gets the second season of this anime at all. I guess after they see how well it sells.
Also with a new buyer needed for the company and Funding for said company in a market down turn with many fans doing the fan sub drive by and not buying what they watch as the numbers show there has been a losses every year for years on the anime side numbers wise.
Then with shows getting taken before release dates and sent to sites from hackers with skills. The company's really want to watch there backs due to these issues.
Lets hope Funimation finds a company willing to back them for the long haul or that fans set up and buy at least some of the shows they really enjoy!
It would be nice if more news in the area of anime was to come out form places like Funimation and Viz and Bandai-ent. I mean Del Rey just left the manga department. This leaves fans of some of there titles with no way to buy said content.
also with places like Best buy not selling or carrying anime on the shelf any more as well as small stocks at borders and barns and noble it would seem there are less places to find anime other than the internet and Late night TV. The tv thing being very small as well.
puffdotty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Re: not-so-FUNimation
Following is a letter from my fellow cast member of the English dub of the original Trigun series, Jeff Nimoy. It sucks that Funimation did this to both me (Meryl, original series) and Jeff. He posted it on animenews.com… here ya go!

Sorry to all the fans, I would have loved to play Wolfwood again and dub the Trigun movie, but Funimation dubbed it already without me. They called me and wanted me to fly myself out to Texas from Los Angeles and put myself up in a hotel while they paid me less than the original series paid. I would have lost money on the deal. Then when I asked for more money, they went ahead and replaced me. Pretty cheap, huh? I guess they don’t care about the fans. Sorry, guys, I would have loved to play Wolfwood again, but remember, I’ll always be the original! -Jeff Nimoy

Yup, in the midst of negotiating we suddenly got radio silence – and found out (from someone else!) that they went ahead and recorded it without us! I thought we were reaching a final compromise – apparently Funi did not. Anyway, sorry guys, I just had to spew! xoxo Dorothy Fahn (Melendrez)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4