• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually see some big news in this one. First of all I'm glad to see the new Eva movie will get a theatrical release. The more anime in the theaters the better and funi definitely has the resources to get the movie out there.

Another big announcement is that we finally know a rough idea of when FLCL will be released so we know there is actually some movement on this project.

And I think the biggest news is that Summer Wars is getting a theatrical release. I really hope the ball on this film gets rolling and I'm able to see it in a KC theater. But the key words in this announcement is Los Angeles. The reason why that's so big is that this is one of the qualifications that a film must meet to be nominated for an academy award. Now I'm not saying that it will be, just that I'd like to see another anime at least get the nomination for best animated film again.

Also I'm kind of happy to see that Mike McFarland is working on the ADR directing. I actually enjoy his work and see him as one of the few skilled directors that funi employs. His work on the Mushi-shi dub was great and I'm sure he'll be able to pull off a good dub for a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Pretty cheap, huh? I guess they don’t care about the fans.

You mean the Funimation that got back the whole cast (minus Xellos) of Slayers after 10 years? The Funimation that licensed a terrible OVA AND got back most of the cast for the Tenchi fans? The Funimation that brought over the Dragon Boxes even though everyone agreed they'd never make it to the states? The Funimation that got back most of the Evangelion cast for movies that surely cost them an arm and a leg just acquire? The Funimation that licensed two meaningless recap OVA episodes for a show they didn't acquire in the first place for the completest (Vandread)? The Funimation that's always asking for fan input, including licenses that they should consider (and have even gotten)? How about the Funimation that recently acquired sequels to previous fan favorites? Or do you mean the Funimation that has been rescuing licenses of classic out of print shows so that new fans won't forget about them (including Trigun)?

Mr. Nimoy and Mrs. Elias-Fahn, while I enjoyed your work in the original Trigun, if you honestly believe those words quoted at the top, I have to say that you're full of it. Also, if it's just you two that got recast, that means they did manage to get back Johnny and Lia (who I don't think has dubbed in years), so it sounds more like a YOU problem than a Funimation problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
puffdotty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
Yes, as I said I was just venting. And no, Lia isn't in it either. I don't even know if they cared enough to try to get Johnny, but my guess is no. Yes, it was a long time ago and I know not everyone's a fan of the dub, but it was one of my favorite all-time characters to play and thus I was verily bummed.
treatment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
Pretty cheap, huh? I guess they don’t care about the fans.

You mean the Funimation that got back the whole cast (minus Xellos) of Slayers after 10 years?

And so what exactly is your point?

I mean, like you said, they didn't get the whole cast.

Quote:
The Funimation that licensed a terrible OVA AND got back most of the cast for the Tenchi fans?

Uhhh, _nobody_ knew the last OVA series was gonna be as terrible as it was until after all of it was finally released and despite even that, everyone _still_ wanted the original english-dub for Ryoko.

Quote:
The Funimation that brought over the Dragon Boxes even though everyone agreed they'd never make it to the states?
Who is this everyone you are talking about?

Quote:
The Funimation that got back most of the Evangelion cast for movies that surely cost them an arm and a leg just acquire?

Compared to EVA's actual licensing-fees, the english-dub fees was prolly peanuts.

Quote:
The Funimation that licensed two meaningless recap OVA episodes for a show they didn't acquire in the first place for the completest (Vandread)?
Do not estimate the power of being really tight and close and licensing pretty much everything from GONZO...

Quote:
The Funimation that's always asking for fan input, including licenses that they should consider (and have even gotten)?

LOL!!! You're not really that naive, are you?

Quote:
How about the Funimation that recently acquired sequels to previous fan favorites?
???

Quote:
Or do you mean the Funimation that has been rescuing licenses of classic out of print shows so that new fans won't forget about them (including Trigun)?
Huh? Reckon the licenses of the classics they've "rescued" were really that cheap to acquire.

Quote:
Mr. Nimoy and Mrs. Elias-Fahn, while I enjoyed your work in the original Trigun, if you honestly believe those words quoted at the top, I have to say that you're full of it.

I think you're the only one full of it here since I think you blindly believe everything that Funi and it's marketing people tells you.

Quote:
Also, if it's just you two that got recast, that means they did manage to get back Johnny and Lia (who I don't think has dubbed in years), so it sounds more like a YOU problem than a Funimation problem.

It's an integrity problem. We're now getting from at least two of the original english-actors that Funi simply decided to suddenly break negotiations with them (Nimoy and Fahn).

JYB will prolly be back since he'd worked with Funi before.

We'll just have to see if Lia's gonna be back, if at all.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts, I feel you're being a harsh on puffdotty, Funimation isn't perfect. On the other hand Dorothy, you didn't actually say you were venting in the original post. Not that I thought you needed to - I figured that was what was going on but I guess not everyone picked up on it Confused

puffdotty wrote:
Yes, as I said I was just venting. And no, Lia isn't in it either. I don't even know if they cared enough to try to get Johnny, but my guess is no. Yes, it was a long time ago and I know not everyone's a fan of the dub, but it was one of my favorite all-time characters to play and thus I was verily bummed.

As a fan, I'm not thrilled at this turn of events either. However, I'm also not sure going after Funimation in this manner is completely warranted. Simply venting is understandable (and I felt your post was understandable) but Jeff Nimoy was encouraging someone at his You Tube site to start a fan-boycott (that's where I read his original posting). That's actually what got me upset with him over on the corresponding thread at AoD. Do the L.A. VA's realize that a boycott of a dub in this day of age is more likely to backfire on everyone than get the desired results? All I think a boycott would do is give ammo to whoever buys Funimation from Navarre, as well as any other companies who might like to use it (like Bandai Ent, VIZ, et al) to say "see? Dubbing isn't worth the money or this type of loss of sales. It proves we should cease all future English dubbing." That may sound extreme but Anime is a business and I've seen similar things pulled by other entertainment companies in the past (they'll use anything to justify whatever they want to do). I hope Jeff realizes that if he gets his plan off the ground it could lead to even less work for the L.A. VA's if things got out of hand.

I think the thing that annoys me on your behalf is that they didn't tell you they'd moved on. However, I've heard other actors in the live action field mention in the past that this isn't unusual - that they've found out they've been let go from a show when they came to work and simply weren't let into the studio anymore Confused . I've always found the practice appalling but after seeing Jeff's potential boycott plan I'm starting to understand why entertainment companies do stuff like this (they can't really afford the fan backlash).

As to Funimation caring or not caring, I do think everyone, from the fans to the actors, needs to remember that Funimation is a business first so the bottom line is money. I'm not sure this is a case of Funimation not caring. If they truly didn't care they'd have never approached Jeff or you to begin with. If I understand Jeff correctly, the issue was that Funi didn't want to pay you enough to do the part and everyone put in counter offers and something broke down at that point (and then another actor/actress mentioned they'd already dubbed it - I hope both of you understand that actor/actress may get punished over slipping up, though it's just as possible someone said something without realize they weren't suppose to mention it and hopefully they'll not get punished over it). So I guess the question here why did Funimation break off negotiations and go ahead with a recast? Simple answer is they didn't want to pay you more but I think there could be a more to it than just not wanting to pay more money.

I guess what I'm thinking about here is that we (the fans who follow this stuff, at least) know that Funi is up for sale from Navarre, there parent company. There's a possibility this could have played into it (potentially they may be working with a reduced budget here). Then there are the Japanese rights holders. I would think they'd have to sign off on a new cast. There is a possibility they may even have been a motivator to re-cast, because the way I understand how dubbing works in Japan, recasting is common place. The Japanese fans seem to dislike re-casting as much as North American fans but the companies don't cater to the fans in quite the same way as the North American companies often try to. Then there are potential behind the scenes politics that happen with all companies. There may have been pressure from those who work at Funimation in Texas to "go local," so to say. Remember, L.A. decided to "go local" with the Durrrarra! dub and not ask the two Funimation actors to return for it. Personally, I think Aniplex was behind that but who knows how personal this is getting behind the scenes, plus it also us back to the Japanese rights holders not wanting to mess with going the extra mile to please fans. These are all just basic thoughts I've been having, which make me think things really may not be as clear cut as "not caring." Sad .

Last thing - I take it you've not talked to Johnny on this subject? You seem to be say you didn't know if they got him or not. The thing that makes me wonder if they might have gotten him for the dub after all is that he just finished doing another dub for Funimation, Sengoku Basara. If JYB was already in Texas dubbing with Funimation, why not use him for Trigun as well? Confused -sigh- There's some ramifications to what I just (and even some of what I said in the earlier paragraphs) said that make me go Sad on the other Trigun actors who are not coming backs behalf. This really is a sucky situation for everyone involved. Yes, it's possible that Funimation isn't bothered in the least that this is how it all went down but I don't know if it's fair to think everyone at Funi doesn't care or is possibly happy with what has gone down. In the end Funi knows it's going to have to deal with ticked off fans on the subject so I can't really see them being all that happy about this turn of events, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4