• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oreimo Episode 2 Leaked 1 Day Before Japanese Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If you can't present your argument without coming off as a loon, don't be surprised if most people ignore whatever valid points you might have. Especially if the valid points are already common knowledge and the ranting does nothing but detract from your argument.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
If you can't present your argument without coming off as a loon, don't be surprised if most people ignore whatever valid points you might have. Especially if the valid points are already common knowledge and the ranting does nothing but detract from your argument.

The Glenn Beck Method, ladies and gentlemen!

I especially love the potshots taken at people like Mike and Erin, who, you know, have nothing to do with the leak at all![/u]
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
My, it seems I worked you all into a lather. Good. That was part of what I hoped this would accomplish. To those of you who agree with my points, despite the tactless and blunt way I went about it, thank you for your support. To those who admonish and ridicule me and my thoughts with disdain, let me kindly respond. Obviously, there's too many to address individually, so my apologies if I lump you all together. Except Zac, who I'm going to start with as he is a major part of the site and he deserves a personal response.

Zac, bubby, was digging up the Protoculture Addicts debacle a low blow? Oh, absolutely, but I wouldn't have dug it up if I didn't think you couldn't take it. The people have a right to know their knights in shining armor have failed them before. I'm not saying you've completely f**ked up your streaming deal. I don't know what's going on actually... still... but I digress. I had assumed your complete disconnect from the passionate emotions of those who oft engage your own stinging criticism would hold up here, but it seems I struck a nerve this time around. I do not apologize for this, but I have no intention to exploit this fact in the future if you're going to whine about it. It's just not you.

To address the most popular item of the day next, my final word. It's a potent final word, yes, and with plenty of ammunition for those who dispute it. I want to ask what you think of a guy who has visited this website daily for five years for his fix of daily anime news. As a news site, I'm plenty happy with ANN. I'm not happy with the video service and I'm not happy with the communication blackout going on around it, as well you know. My final words were meant to stick at ANN's video service, thus the pretext "it's not that I want the industry to burn", because I don't. I didn't cancel my subscription to Crunchyroll. I still plan to finish watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC on iTunes. I want to and will continue to support anime legally, and I encourage you all to do the same, but I'm not going to allow the legal parties to play me just because they're the "official" packaging of the product and neither should you. It's this service, right here, and nowhere else that I thoroughly and unapologetically disgusted with and no others. Go, industry, go.

Oh, and don't worry ANN, you're not the first. Bandai hasn't received my money for years and for good reason.

And of course, we have to discuss the money issue. It's already been said but it bears repeating. It's not about the money. It's about the trust the money represents. Oh wow, eight bucks! I could have bought Galaxy Quest at Wally World for that! What a horrible huge loss! You think I'm broke? You think I gambled hot meals for a month on a streaming service? Come on, people. I know you're not that stupid. And besides, ANN would be digging its grave if they said "no refunds" and everyone and their mother knows it. But to anyone who's ever dealt with customer service, when's the last time you issued a refund or comped someone and received a happy smile and an eagerness to partake in your service again?

Above all though people, please keep in mind this was put on the blog I'm graciously allowed to contribute to. Like the readers of ANN, my readers also expect a certain degree of entertainment from our content. Thus I am hyperbolic and blunt by nature, and I have no intention of changing that. In no way was this letter a declaration of superiority, a slanderous mark on ANN, or a temper tantrum, and I thank you kindly to respect that. However, fellow ANN denizens, I want you to know this letter is a statement that I am furious with the situation at hand. Maybe its too much to ask to have a discerning viewpoint that strays from the groupthink here, but from the traffic we've gotten in the last 24 hours, and the comments the letter has generated, I'd say I'm not alone.

By the way, it will have been four days since the communication blackout began two hours from now. Chew on that and god bless.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
The worst thing any organization can do when something goes wrong is to keep silent. It creates uncertainty and anger which will just escalates as time goes on.

Regardless of any reasons, the best thing to do is to issue a statement as soon as possible even if you have nothing to say or disclose, legal or otherwise. You'll be amaze at how forgiving people can be if a statement is made by an official source which basically says nothing that no one doesn't already knows about.

Example: We apologize for the current issue but unfortunately, are unable to disclose anything at the moment. We will issue an official statement as soon as we can. The Management. That basically said nothing but you'll get pages upon pages of goodwill and encouragement, instead of vitriolic posts.

I've been on both sides of bad situations before in the business world. And there is nothing like an official (non)statement to calm the masses.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess the bottom line is that how an individual reacts to this situation is a barometer of whatever goodwill ANN has banked with that person. With me, for example, ANN's goodwill credit is sterling. The people who own and operate this site have put out a service that I have found outstanding since finding it over 18 months ago. Therefore, it would take a lot more than this for me to want to dump a chocolate log in their punchbowl.

I have to assume the Powers That Be here are more than aware that the current communication blackout is less than...ideal. Therefore, I have to assume the reason for said blackout it is probably pretty compelling.

None of which changes the fact that since I missed out on getting the Corpse Princess set in Zac's recent anime giveaway, I am obligated to despise him with the lurid intensity of a million - nay, A TRILLION - energy-efficient light bulbs.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
My, it seems I worked you all into a lather.

You keep telling yourself that if it'll make you feel better.

In the meantime, the rest of us will allow ANN to continue its integrity by refusing to give you information your entitlement attitude isn't privileged to have.

Chew on that.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
By the way, it will have been four days since the communication blackout began two hours from now. Chew on that and god bless.

Information blackout? From what I have observed in the way Japanese companies do business, this is the order of the day. Remember the Toyota debacle? Toyota was dead silent for quite a while before anything was heard from them. There were a lot of accusations being thrown around then as well.

My previous post was also addressing the way you like to blame ANN's editorial department for things it has nothing to do with.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's just irritating. And I see it happen over and over again. People completely glance over actual points of discussion and only focus on the inherent hyperbole(s) of the rant.
But saying "its a rant, hyperbole is intrinsic in a rant" is ignoring the fact that it was the author's choice whether or not to write it as a rant.

Ranting is great fun, but there is a reason for the old internet advice to write twice and post once.

Splitter wrote:
Zac, bubby, was digging up the Protoculture Addicts debacle a low blow? Oh, absolutely, but I wouldn't have dug it up if I didn't think you couldn't take it. The people have a right to know their knights in shining armor have failed them before. I'm not saying you've completely f**ked up your streaming deal. I don't know what's going on actually... still... but I digress. ...
This is where you come off as a real nutter. You can't tell whether Zac was the one that screwed up?

It seems you've been coming to ANN for all these eons you cite with your hands held in front of your eyes as well as over your ears (a neat trick, BTW). Of course Zac doesn't have anything to do with it. He doesn't work on the videos. The site publishes its staff, so you know who mainly does, in addition to it being mentioned or discussed in repeated ANNcasts.

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Ranting is great fun, but there is a reason for the old internet advice to write twice and post once.

I completely agree. You wouldn't want to see the vulgar mess that was the first draft of this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before and, at the the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again. Just because Japanese companies are anally secretive does not mean that ANN couldn't release a "hey, sorry guys, we're working on it as hard as possible, please bear with us". How hard is that to say? Really?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've said it before and, at the the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again. Just because Japanese companies are anally secretive does not mean that ANN couldn't release a "hey, sorry guys, we're working on it as hard as possible, please bear with us". How hard is that to say? Really?

I've said it before and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again. Suppose that AniplexUSA or a member of the production committee back in Japan asked for them to please issue no statement until everyone was ready to issue a statement.

If right after showing an inability to control who gets access to their video, they show an inability to respect what sounds like, to Japanese ears, a perfectly appropriate and reasonable request ... what happens to the prospects for a favorable resolution? I mean, if once is a mistake, twice is the beginning of a pattern.

In that case the content of the official statement would not be the point, but the fact that the content was not yet OK'd.
Velarise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Just to double check: Everyone involved in this discussion is aware that OreImo is not the first anime ever licensed in America right? It's not even the first simulcast to be licensed, and it's not even the first simulcast anime to be licensed, leaked and removed!

Going on and on about Japanese business practices like it's new information is just retarded. Anyone who's been reading ANN for a year at minimum has a pretty good sense of how this works, and no, unbroken silence is not standard practice. Even FUNimation had a statement about One Piece within 24 hours. Can we please stop playing this game where we try to excuse ANN's handling of this debacle as the "new normal"?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
So you believe that ANN's consumers are less important than the possibility that the Japanese will be pissed off for ANN releasing a statement? Because consumers and potential consumers already are getting really pissed off.

And did you read what I said the content could have been? It is vague and does not admit liability or assign blame. It does not give away what the problem was. It is one of the standard responses for whenever something bad happens. How could the Japanese take umbrage with that?
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

The Glenn Beck Method, ladies and gentlemen!

Hey, at least he's entertaining about it Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So you believe that ANN's consumers are less important than the possibility that the Japanese will be pissed off for ANN releasing a statement? Because consumers and potential consumers already are getting really pissed off.

And did you read what I said the content could have been? It is vague and does not admit liability or assign blame. It does not give away what the problem was. It is one of the standard responses for whenever something bad happens. How could the Japanese take umbrage with that?

Saying "sorry" is an admission of guilt and liability. *couldn't resist*

Maybe a joint statement will be issued with an offer for refund if the streaming doesn't happen. But really guys, this is becoming a bit too much imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 31