• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool & Twisted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
If reading his posts makes you that angry, then just avoid the topic. It's not worth the stress, you know? If you don't have your health then you don't have anything.

It's not just him I'm a very stressful person overall. Kind of a result of what I've been dealing with as of late.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quick question for those who saw and enjoyed the series and have seen this movie: did you like the movie?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
Cool & Twisted wrote:
@ Danger Mouse

I was re-watching the series a couple days ago and in S2 Tieria who fused with VEDA said that Aeolia acknowledged his plan in season one was hypocritical. The plan wasn't for them to eliminate it all (which was what the Ptolemy crew thought at first) but to bring the world together, and it worked. You can't complain if the plan succeeded.

Yup, that was my point as well. Smile

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quick question for those who saw and enjoyed the series and have seen this movie: did you like the movie?

Yeah I also would love some more opinions on the movie from people who really liked the series that managed to make it to the one screening and can tell us how well the movie delivered the next part of the story and these characters, especially to us who really enjoyed the series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
SOME SPOILERS BELOW, KNOWLEDGE OF THE MOVIE IS PRESUMED IF YOU ARE GOING TO READ THIS POST.

I just watched the movie this morning. And I agree with Mike that a "C" grade is about right, although some of what he thought was good I could barely stand.

First of all, the battles. Virtually the entire second half of the two hour-long movie was fighting, and it wore me out real fast. With half an hour to go I was tired, and the action only stepped up from there. It also stopped any sort of meaningful character moments. Action for action's sakes is nice in small doses, I will say. But as Mr. Plinkett pointed out in his reviews of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, without invoking an emotional response from the audience large action scenes are just empty and exhausting eye candy. That said, Setsuna really was quite useless in the battles here. I can sort of see why - it is a bad look in an anti-war movie to glorify machines of destruction. Oh, and the 00 Quan(t) was supposed to end war, so it's even more important not to glorify it. However, this movie is unashamedly about the fighting and selling new model kits, so there's a dichotomy that the franchise has grappled with since the time of its inception. Also, as a matter of principle, having the most powerful Gundam only entering the battlefield in the final fifteen minutes of the movie is a bit cheap. We waited all that time, and it hardly did anything.

There were too many characters, many of whom were brought back for no real reason other than to appease fans of the series. Even the more important characters had little time to do anything much. Marina was as useless as ever. Tieria didn't do much except for a brief piloting stint and wearing a suit so skintight around the butt that Ned Flanders would have been proud. The whole Feldt pining over Setsuna thing was not only extremely boring but it did no favours to her character; she literally did nothing else the entire movie. And what happened to her thing with Lockon? Kathy was supposed to be a tactical genius but she played no part in setting up the battle plan. Her only role was ordering the firing of the massive supercannon that has been around for as long as Veda but which we never even heard of until now. Louise and Saji were as useless as ever. Setsuna went to Earth for the sole reason of saving their sorry arses; why would he bother? Speaking of Setsuna, he was as interesting as Rei Ayanami - i.e. not at all - but at least he didn't spout meaningless pop-psychology at us.

The story was ridiculous, just like it was in Season 2. People will not stop fighting just because they understand one another. Ever heard of psychopaths? Sociopaths? No? People will hurt one another even if they know what they are doing is wrong or how their victim feels. It happens a lot in domestic violence situations, a cycle of violence that is very unfortunate but isn't going to be solved overnight. Magical pixie dust is not going to address the underlying problems, and the underlying human behaviour, that cause violence in the first place. It certainly will not help the aliens find a new home, although they seems quite content to abandon their search for their own home and just form a giant yellow flower. Speaking about their new home, they seem plenty capable to me of just making a new one from scratch, given their massive level of technology. Lastly, and it has to be said, the ending sucks. Setsuna ex machina? I was savvy enough to stick around after the credits, and it did try to tie up loose ends. However it begs two questions. If a quarter of Earth's sentient population are now innovators, A: how was the inevitable conflict between humans and innovators resolved or managed, and B: how did a quarter of people become innovators in the first place? What is driving the innovation. Maybe I missed the memo, but I really don't know.

Basically, this movie wasn't bad. But it is only good enough to give the lowest passing grade to. I don't regret watching it, but I could have watched four or five episodes of much better Anime instead of this. Well, at least I can tick it off.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
KazeKei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Watched this just now, it isn't a masterpiece, but its pretty interesting nevertheless.

I just couldn't understand the reviewer's statement of:
"Despite hours of research, I still haven't quite figured out who all of these people are, and I've actually watched the majority of Gundam 00. "
I'm surprised that he couldn't recognized the characters and, he had watched the "MAJORITY" of the series? I thought he should have watched "ALL".
HitenMitsurugiRyu_Himura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't care what reputation this guy has. He is totally talking out of his ass. He claims that he watched "the majority of Gundam 00." If he really did then he would've actually understood the characters, the conflicts that they went through, and the actual message of the series. As for me, not only have I watched the series in its entirety and have also been a long time fan of Gundam (especially UC), but I was even able to speak with Seiji Mizushima, the director of this series, at a panel at Anime Expo 2011. Due to the fact that the primary message of Gundam 00 is that absolute peace can only be truly achieved as long as there is mutual understanding between everyone, regardless of race, religion, culture, etc., Mizushima felt that it was necessary to include an alien race that had nothing in common with humans whatsoever. With an enemy that had a completely different culture and was from a completely different end of the universe, it'd give mankind a sense of hopelessness, despair, and belief that understanding the ELS would be impossible. Even then, he admitted that he was extremely hesitant on including them and asked the execs at Sunrise and Bandai if they really were ok with him including aliens. Also, Mizushima explained that the reason why the 00 Qan[T] didn't fight as much as the other Gundams is due to the fact that he wanted to create a Gundam that wouldn't fight, but instead put an end to all fighting. Setsuna himself was fighting for a future in which everyone would learn to understand each other and be at peace. He could have very well used the 00 Qan[T] to destroy all of the ELS, but if he did then he would've gone against everything that he was fighting for, and would've simply promoted further conflict and war rather than peace. I can understand if Toole is a long time fan of Gundam including the UC era Gundam series (I am), and is disturbed to see aliens in a Gundam series. However, Gundam 00 is set in an Alternate Universe rather than the classic UC series, which to this day contains the themes of "the evils of human-to-human warfare". Despite including aliens in the movie, Gundam 00 still retained that overlying theme. As long as the original UC series retains that theme, then there is nothing wrong with an AU Gundam series taking steps to distinguish itself from the status quo that has been seen in a Gundam series since UC. If Michael Toole doesn't like the movie, then fine. When he claims that he's seen the majority of the series yet clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, then that is where I draw the line. Criticizing something in which he is ignorant of clearly shows how incompetent of a critic Michael Toole is. If he had actually taken the time to watch the series in its entirety, then he wouldn't be spouting drivel such as this.

For those curious to see a much more well written review from a long time Gundam fan, feel free to read this article: http://randomc.net/2011/01/02/gundam-00-a-wakening-of-the-trailblazer/
biglinhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
i'm a fan of this anime series, i like the character development and how they change throughout the course of the anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16