• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Idol Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Id honestly also put Zombie in shelf worthy, it to me with DxD, and to some extent Index (yes it is a harem, in fact Touma probably has the largest harem in recent memory aka Radio Noise) are all shows that kind of put some life back into the harem genre. I mean there are harem here and there that I like, but other than maybe Heaven's lost property, TLR and Akamatsu's Negima few harems were really accesible to all but the most die hard harem fans.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Id honestly also put Zombie in shelf worthy, it to me with DxD, and to some extent Index (yes it is a harem, in fact Touma probably has the largest harem in recent memory aka Radio Noise) are all shows that kind of put some life back into the harem genre. I mean there are harem here and there that I like, but other than maybe Heaven's lost property, TLR and Akamatsu's Negima few harems were really accesible to all but the most die hard harem fans.

I wrestled with this decision for a while. I thought about putting Zombie in Shelf Worthy, but for me, I felt the inconsistencies in tone shifted it back into Rental for me.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Lucky for me, I latch onto one thing to hang onto in a show and, no matter what surrounds it, as long as that focal point remains strong, there is little chance of me not liking it.
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
Your review of Is This a Zombie? pretty much sums up how I feel. It had a lot of great moments and plenty of promise, but it was ultimately too bogged down with recycled anime cliches. I felt pretty tired of the show by the time it reached the end, and never bothered following up with the sequel. (Even though "Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? OF THE DEAD" is an absolutely amazing name.)
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the second season of Is This a Zombie, but the description of this first one sounds much the same. It's not exactly a good show...and yet I still kept tuning in every week because I could usually count on laughing out loud at least once.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Damn, I was really looking forward to Second Combustion. I'm sure I'll enjoy it enough though. I suppose it is better to go into the movie with tempered expectations; I loved the first movie enough that I would be happy with what Sentai has accomplished provided they release the third Mardock movie. That being if Funimation ends up winning the lawsuit.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It's just that as an Idolmaster fan, it was something that wasn't Idolmaster to me.

You know, that's exactly why I bought Xenoglossia. I couldn't care less about Idolmaster, but the concept of Xenoglossia (taking the idea of Idolmaster, but have it be a cover for a group of mech pilots) sounds like a fun idea, and I'm willing to support odd ideas like that.

Essentially, Xenoglossia is the Idolmaster anime for people who don't care about Idolmaster.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I wrestled with this decision for a while. I thought about putting Zombie in Shelf Worthy, but for me, I felt the inconsistencies in tone shifted it back into Rental for me.

Wink thats okay, hopefully whenever season 2 is licensed that one can make it to shelf-worthiness; I do agree with you the zombie unlike dxd has major mood shifts; I cant tell if its intentional, or they simply dont know how to spread slice of life episodes with story episodes , they seem to cram most of the story episodes towards the end, but this can also be a product of these shorter episode seasons
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

But in all seriousness, why do so many IM@S fans have such a stick up their ass over this show? It doesn't make the later TV series not exist, and it didn't prevent the franchise proper from becoming a major phenomenon (which by the way primarily happened after Xenoglossia). The Xbox verison of IM@S hadn't yet or had only just come out when Xenoglossia aired. Thats why Miki isn't in it, to say nothing of Takane and Hibiki, who didn't even exist yet.

Well, if I wanted to be pedantic, Takane and Hibiki were in the original location test beta of the game which became iM@S, but didn't make the final version of the original game, so they did kind of exist at the time.

Realy, though, the fact that Xenoglossia is kind-of-like-iM@S-but-not is almost the point - that show deliberately references a lot of the tropes common between Sunrise productions of the time but makes some incredibly sharp left-turns on them as they play out. The iM@S character usage is a pretty deliberate subversion of the My-HiME to My-ZHiME formula, where instead of recasting characters into an alternate with their personalities more-or-less intact, they pretty much threw the original out beyond Haruka tripping up in the OP sequence. It's weird, almost jokey, but it plays into the wider themes and structural intent of the show.

Xenoglossia really doesn't get enough credit for some of the weird-as-heck stuff it pulls, though being released at this point somewhat makes it a show being released without its proper context - it's an awful lot more amusing if you've just come off My-*, Code Geass and Gundam SEED (+Destiny).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
DiGiKerot wrote:

Xenoglossia really doesn't get enough credit for some of the weird-as-heck stuff it pulls, though being released at this point somewhat makes it a show being released without its proper context - it's an awful lot more amusing if you've just come off My-*, Code Geass and Gundam SEED (+Destiny).

And its even coming out after SoraKake Girl. The show they made when they realized that Xenoglossia was far too subtle.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
DiGiKerot wrote:

Well, if I wanted to be pedantic, Takane and Hibiki were in the original location test beta of the game which became iM@S, but didn't make the final version of the original game, so they did kind of exist at the time.

Huh, that's actually interesting to know (never really delved in the history of the original Idolmaster). Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3