• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Ranks Fall 2010 Simulcasts by Popularity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Super Robot Wars viewing numbers is indeed unexpected given how poor the 2006 series was. The Inspector currently better than Divine Wars, but my guess is that it's because it's labeled as "Super Robot Wars", which the game franchise is quite known to many, hence many people going "hey my favorite game franchise is being animated" or something along those lines. Similar results occurred when Persona -trinity soul- aired in 2008 if I recall correctly.

Eh, the Super Robot Wars games still aren't all that well known in the English speaking world (certainly nowhere near something like Persona). The two Gameboy Advance games Atlus released came out during that system's dying gasps and generally didn't get that much attention. Maybe the weird cousin DS spin-off, Endless Frontier, helped some, but again, not exactly Persona.

I'm also kind of doubting a lot of people even know the previous show exists, which is...fine, frankly! Sure, it got licensed, but being one of Bandai Visual's last titles when anime shelf space was contracting big time, well...

If anything, I'd figure it's simply because it's a gorgeously animated mecha show with cool designs and an emphasis on ass kickings, which we don't get all that much of anymore these days.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
I was sad to see P&S near the bottom. I though it would have been a lot higher up on the list, but I guess everything can't be a hit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

If anything, I'm surprised to Tantei Opera Milky Holmes on the top 10, unless of course there are only 10 shows airing on Crunchyroll this season.

Yes, that is the 10 new simulcasts they have. So Milky Holmes is like. at the bottom of the new ones.
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

If it's "comparable" than I would say that Crunchyroll is probably not getting that many more viewers as is. There are 2 problems I currently see:

That's not exactly true. Here's the original article where the info came from
Quote:
Over on Twitter this morning, Rob Pereyda, the VP of Licensing and Senior Director over at Crunchyroll, revealed a bit about how the new fall season of simulcasts are ranking up. No real statistics are given, but in talking about what's actually being watched and what titles are getting more views than others, it's certainly interesting to see. A lot of the discussion centered on how well Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector is doing and a lot of it is attributed to its access worldwide outside of Japan. While the show likely isn't doing too well with American audiences who haven't had a lengthy relationship with the games that they come from, or many of the shows associated with it, it's certainly going to play well to the Asian market in general.

1. World God Only Knows
2. Otome Yokai ZAKURO
3. Sora No Otoshimono Forte
4. Fortune Arterial
5. Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector
6. Squid Girl
7. Yumeiro Pâtissière Professional
8. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
9. Tegami Bachi (Reverse)
10. Tantei Opera Milky Holmes

There are things worth noting here with all of this beyond just the ranking order itself. According to Mr. Pereyda, if you looked at the numbers last year, the tenth place show this year would have been in second or third place back then. Panty, Stocking & Garterbelt would have been their top show any other season but is ranked eighth this time around. The viewership is definitely increasing and it's interesting to see how the charts are changing in this regard. What was once considered a hit is now a good solid performer as those numbers are getting surpassed, seemingly significantly. As overseas viewership increases as well, with more UK/Ireland licenses being acquired when possible, it's only adding to it and to the diversity of tastes. What gets American audiences won't grab European audiences or Asian audiences sometimes.
How does your personal ranking compare to what the overall Crunchyroll audience is watching these days?

It's more of a case of things surpassing other shows from what would be expected. The viewers are increasing from this

Oh to answer that question, this my ranking BTW
1. Letter Bee Reverse
2. World God Only Knows
3. PSandG
4. YumePati: Professional
5. Super Robot Wars OG
6. Otome Youkai Zakuro
7. Squid Girl
8. Fortune Arterial
9. Tantei Opera
(I'm waiting until SnO:F gets near the end to start watching it so I can watch it in a huge chunk like last season)
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

If anything, I'm surprised to Tantei Opera Milky Holmes on the top 10, unless of course there are only 10 shows airing on Crunchyroll this season.

Yes, that is the 10 new simulcasts they have. So Milky Holmes is like. at the bottom of the new ones.
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

If it's "comparable" than I would say that Crunchyroll is probably not getting that many more viewers as is. There are 2 problems I currently see:

That's not exactly true. Here's the original article where the info came from

It's from CRs VPs Twitter, not an article. The sources are all linked in this one.
the original is
Quote:
CR simul rankings (new): TWGOK, OYZ, SnO2, SRWOG, FA, SG, YPP, PSG, TB, TOMH -- SRWOG may be the surprise hit of the season!!

Quote:
What's incredible, though, is that the "baseline" level of hits for a simul this season is so huge compared to then that even the so-called "last place" simul now would be 3rd or even 2nd place if you compared the hits to a year ago!

Milky Holmes should be bottom, it's the most recent one added (with a very last minute anouncement), and there's video issuees with it.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
... Eh, the Super Robot Wars games still aren't all that well known in the English speaking world (certainly nowhere near something like Persona). ...
... If anything, I'd figure it's simply because it's a gorgeously animated mecha show with cool designs and an emphasis on ass kickings, which we don't get all that much of anymore these days.
For the North America, Northern Europe, Oceania, I'd reckon the latter: some people mainly coming to Crunchyroll for Naruto and Bleach saying, "oh, finally, a mecha show". As long as the mecha designs are interesting enough and the battles are intense enough, they'll be willing to work out the plot later. Indeed, on the weekend I saw a review that said basically that: good mechs, great fights, cannot follow plot at all, very good show, watch it if you love mechs.

However, its a WW release, so it's available in every country where Crunchyroll is ranked among the top 1,000 sites by alexa: Phillippines 373, Singapore 464, Malaysia 790, UAE 825, Qatar 964, which have a much smaller selection of anime available from Crunchyroll, so they're even more likely to check out everything available. And we may not know what games were popular when in Southeast Asia and the Middle East.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
Pereyda said that the "baseline level of hits" for this season is comparable to the top levels in previous seasons.
Excellent news, more people are going to watch the new season on Crunchyroll.
If it's "comparable" than I would say that Crunchyroll is probably not getting that many more viewers as is. ...
Clearly, if the lowest number of hits received by any series this year would have been enough to be among the top three in Fall 2009, then the baseline this year is well above the baseline in Fall 2009.

It seems likely that someone who reads that statement and concludes the opposite of what the statement says, that Crunchyroll is growing, and proceeds to list the reasons for CR's lack of growth is just seeing what they want to see.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The primary reason I see Tegami Bachi Reverse being so low is that the about half way through the first season, it got relatively dull for many.
The primary reason Tegami Bachi's position is so low is that even if every single person who was following it before picks it up again, the growth in the audience in the meantime still leaves a strong hit from Fall2009/Winter2010 down near the bottom in Fall2010. If that ranking is hits on episodes that started streaming in Fall2010, then even the strongest possible word of mouth from existing fans to new members will result in the new viewers catching up on the first season before they start watching Reverse.

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I was sad to see P&S near the bottom. I though it would have been a lot higher up on the list, but I guess everything can't be a hit.

That's assuming people watch it on Crunchyroll. Outside of subscribers, most people watch the show off-site, because the streams are a week off.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

That's assuming people watch it on Crunchyroll. Outside of subscribers, most people watch the show off-site, because the streams are a weak off.

Not in the case of Panty and Stocking. CR launched the first episode on October 1st, pretty much right after it first aired in Japan on TV Kanagawa.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

That's assuming people watch it on Crunchyroll. Outside of subscribers, most people watch the show off-site, because the streams are a weak off.

Not in the case of Panty and Stocking. CR launched the first episode on October 1st, pretty much right after it first aired in Japan on TV Kanagawa.

I'm referring to public streams. Unless you're a subscriber, you have to wait a week for new episodes.

EDIT wow, did i really type "Week" as "Weak"? Confused

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
But, um, wouldn't that be the case with any show on that list?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
But, um, wouldn't that be the case with any show on that list?
Perhaps the kind of viewer attracted by PSw/G's ADHD pace and gag a minute writing are less likely to wait a week rather than seek out a rip? And the kind of viewer attracted by the pretty drawings and easy pace of Otome Yokai Zakura are more likely to just wait the week, so they can support the artists who draw the pretty backgrounds?

Of course, the market is always drawn to catering to those who are willing to participate in the market.
Olivine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
-Squid Girl at #6? And beat out by robits and boobfests? That's disappointing geso.
-Panty & Stocking deserved much lower than #8. It was traumatizing! All my fond memories of nicktoons trampled on, ridiculed, and fetishized. It was like Spike TV's Ren & Stimpy all over again!
-Milky Holmes is surprisingly win. Adorable girls, silly plot, cool fight sequences. I have a feeling this is going to turn into some sort of moe CSI type thing. Good stuff. (ED sequence swimsuit pictures...also win! Very Happy}

My ranking:
1. Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
2. Squid Girl
3. The World God Only Knows
4. Fortune Arterial
37,209,742,938. Panty & Stocking

Rest: DNF (I mean to watch Otome Youkai Zakuro, though.)
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
-Squid Girl at #6? And beat out by robits and boobfests? That's disappointing geso.

This person gets me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
-Squid Girl at #6? And beat out by robits and boobfests? That's disappointing geso

While I'm sure Squid Girl is good, if not great fun.

There's something classic of robots + boobs = fun, fun, fun!

Try out Gravion. The first episode wasn't the best intro, but... it's as fun as mechas get!
I haven't seen Godannar but apparently it runs along the same lines.

After watching Gravion, I wanted to try out more of Obari's stuff(Detonator Orguss). I'm glad he's got a new project. It's bold of him to play mecha's for fun. And he does quite painlessly!

That being said, Panty and Stocking is the ONLY anime this season that I'm not remotely interested in!
If Obari's formula beats out the guy who did Dead Leaves, then... someone's losing their touch.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Zakuro is second, since barely anyone talks about that show. Its my personal favorite of the seasons so far. The only other crunchy things I've seen are Panty & Stocking, which I dropped, and Fortune Arterial, which is on a three-episode test.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

Hey. Don't knock the robots and boobfests until you try it. Especially the robots.
Olivine wrote:
-Panty & Stocking deserved much lower than #8. It was traumatizing! All my fond memories of nicktoons trampled on, ridiculed, and fetishized.

My god! You're right! Every single Nicktoon memory has just been destroyed now because of one anime. Well, that just tightens my shirt.

I really don't get when people say "this destroyed my childhood/memories" as if watching something will completely annihilate the existence of the show you remember.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5