• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Ranks Fall 2010 Simulcasts by Popularity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Who else is there to blame? Whether or not the rough lay of the land is laid out for someone who has not played the games is one of the creative decisions they made.

Or you could watch Divine Wars which is the anime version of the first game. I guess they could have remade the first series on the off chance that some americans would want to watch the series but was turned off by the CG mecha and the poor pacing of the first series but considering how many times Super Robot Wars has bombed in America I don't think that is wise.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Super Robot Wars OG 1 had about 20 playable characters so a recap would have been huge. Also Isurugi Industries who creates the antagonist machines, basically works for all sides so everyone has access to their machines. Also one of the villains has a large amounts of Gespenst which was the first mass production mecha of the Earth Federation. Though if you need a detailed recap with a ton of pictures Fencedude has posted one here http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=102970

If a rough outline can't be provided that is sufficient to understand who is on the ground shooting and who is fighting who up in the air, without going into 20 individual back stories, then I retract my retraction of shambles. And if it can be provided, it should have been.

So either shambles or lazy story telling.

But lots of loud noises and explosion, though, so that's good.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Or, maybe it could be that it's not the show that has problems, you just don't understand it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Super Robot Wars OG 1 had about 20 playable characters so a recap would have been huge. Also Isurugi Industries who creates the antagonist machines, basically works for all sides so everyone has access to their machines. Also one of the villains has a large amounts of Gespenst which was the first mass production mecha of the Earth Federation. Though if you need a detailed recap with a ton of pictures Fencedude has posted one here http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=102970

If a rough outline can't be provided that is sufficient to understand who is on the ground shooting and who is fighting who up in the air, without going into 20 individual back stories, then I retract my retraction of shambles. And if it can be provided, it should have been.

So either shambles or lazy story telling.

But lots of loud noises and explosion, though, so that's good.

Should every sequel give you a detailed recap of what happened previously? I mean should Conquerers of Shamballa have spent the first 20 minutes detailing the plot of the tv series? Should Dragonball Z have begun with a three episode recap of Dragonball?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Should every sequel give you a detailed recap of what happened previously?

A sequel of an OVA that makes it onto television should include enough information in the first episode to have a rough idea what is happening during that episode, yes.

And "detailed recap" is a clear red herring here. If you want to argue about that there is no need for a detailed recap, go take that argument with someone who claimed there needs to be one ~ I certainly made no such argument.
calimike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
what about Naruto, Bleach and Gintama?
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
1.The World God Only Knows, good, thats one of the only shows I liked this season
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
calimike wrote:

Gintama finished.

Naruto and Bleach are ongoing simulcasts. Not new ones.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Should every sequel give you a detailed recap of what happened previously?

A sequel of an OVA that makes it onto television should include enough information in the first episode to have a rough idea what is happening during that episode, yes.

And "detailed recap" is a clear red herring here. If you want to argue about that there is no need for a detailed recap, go take that argument with someone who claimed there needs to be one ~ I certainly made no such argument.

Ok I think I figured out why your so confused. The Super Robot Wars OVA was a sequel to the GBA version of OG 2 and is not in canon to the TV series. Seeing that first is also going to give you a massive spoiler.

The OVA and the GBA games where de-canonized when the PS2 game Super Robot Wars OGs was made. remaking the GBA games with several plot changes. The OVA's content's where then included in the game Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden with the changes made in the OGs.

In 2007 Banpresto made the TV series Super Robot Wars Original Generation Divine Wars, the fansubs for it where insanely slow in coming out, and the series did poorly, and not even the super robot wars community liked it due to horrendous pacing (slow in the beginning, and then ridiculously fast in the end), and CG mecha animation that while looking nice tended to involve everyone just missing (though their was some good battles). Bandai Visual licensed it and released it in America for the hilariously stupid price of 50 dollars for three subtitled episodes.

Now Banpresto is making a sequel to Divine Wars using a different studio, with a different director that has the Super Robot fans quite happy due to the improved battles, and better animation. Could they have created a better recap? Yeah, but they did include a recap, Bian Zoldark started the Divine Crusaders to overthrow the Earth Federation, Aliens attack, and the remnants of the Divine Crusaders are still out their. The other things will be explained and where like this in OG 2.
calimike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought Naruto Shippuuden is no.1 on Top Ten at CR Shocked
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
I've never watched Naruto or Gintama, but I'm informed via the ANN Encyclopedia that Naruto was in fact a broadcast series from the start, so Naruto Shipuuden was not a jump from an OVA to a broadcast. As far as Bleach, no, you did not have to read the manga in order to understand what was going on in episode 1 of Bleach.

However, Maria-sama ga Miteru season 4 suffers from this to a certain extent ~ viewers of the first two season only will suffer a bit of a time jump watching the final broadcast season, though of course they will have been introduced to Drill-chan toward the end of Season 2.

Indeed, Erica Friedman's review at Okazu observes the same point:
Quote:
The one striking this about this 4th season to me was that there was no way you could start with the first disk of this season, and start to watch. Quite often with anime series that continue for a few seasons, the first episode summarizes what has gone before, at least enough for a relative newbie to sit down and watch it. Not so for this. If you had no idea who these people were or why they were doing the things they were doing, it would be a slightly befuddling story.

And its likely for the same reason: the target is the existing fanbase, on the presumption that they are the bulk of the potential audience, But the fact that there is a substantial chunk of the Crunchyroll subscriber base that did not have and are not getting the big Mobile Suit Gundam back catalog means that SRWOG is their chance to stream a mecha show on the site, so it will naturally pick up viewers who were not existing fans of the franchise.
dan7el

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Sora no Otoshimono: Forte is number three except for the large amount of fan service and it's massively ecchi.

Now, I'm not against either fan service or ecchi. I enjoy both, but I have a very difficult time defending my choices when my wife walks by and sees this huge, massive, fleshy boob on my laptop and says, "I hope you're not watching that for the boobs."

And I have no real response because that's about all this anime seems to be about.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
I thought Naruto Shippuuden is no.1 on Top Ten at CR Shocked
In the popularity ranking page, its Naruto Shippuden, Shugo Chara, Bleach, and Naruto ... but what was being reported on was the hits in the new season on the new shows.

dan7el wrote:
I'm not sure why Sora no Otoshimono: Forte is number three except for the large amount of fan service and it's massively ecchi.
I'm guessing that's it, though De Nile aint just a river in Egypt, and if you press the fans, they will probably come up with reasons why its so charming. The first series ranks well below the first series of Letter Bee in the favorites listing (third page versus second page), so there may be some watching it as a guilty pleasure.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:

Personally, I think the show is really funny.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
... Could they have created a better recap? Yeah, but they did include a recap, ...

That's what I referred a long way back up there, that they had a scene in the shape of a recap. If it had functioned as one, that would have been nice:
agila61 wrote:
For the rest, though ... if only they had had a speech in a setting where the speaker could have flashed slides of clearly identified protaganist and antagonist ships and mechas while rambling on, to give people who never played the games a chance to catch up. But when could they possibly have had a chance to work something like that in, in the introductory episode?

Anyway, that's the way I see it. Its still on my list of four simulcasts I'm following at the moment, plus catching up on East of Eden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5