• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo Simulcast Statement

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Would that be reimbursement for future hypothetical expenditures with retroactive interest? Twisted Evil
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday if you'll will refund the purchase today.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I was really sad because I really liked the first My sister can't be this cute, and this is a step back in the battle to save the industry but Gentry has really made my day with this quest for $10.

Seriously, in my head he's the kid from Better Off Dead, only instead of $2 it's...

"I want my $10!"

Or the Lochness Monster keeps on asking for "tree-fitty." Laughing
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Would that be reimbursement for future hypothetical expenditures with retroactive interest? Twisted Evil

LOL. but only if Popeye or Wimpy is able to time travel and prove future damages.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
LOL. but only if Popeye or Wimpy is able to time travel and prove future damages.
I will have you know that J. Wellington Wimpy is very influential among his circle of adoring admirers. His trust is worth far more than the temporary loss of the use of $10 for less than a week!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I will have you know that J. Wellington Wimpy is very influential among his circle of adoring admirers. His trust is worth far more than the temporary loss of the use of $10 for less than a week!

And so good looking too!! He is a spokesperson for his kind....
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Would that be reimbursement for future hypothetical expenditures with retroactive interest? :twisted:

Maybe Crono from Chrono Trigger will be able to do instead since they did use time travel in the game. However, since they are fictional characters and the game was made in 1995, I don't think that is going to work out.

On the plus side though, maybe some day far, far into the future people will be able time travel. Or not, probably George Lucas knows that answer.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Anyway, what done is done and I no longer care about the hows and whys. I just hope that the future repercussions from this aren't severe since it can hurt both the industry and people I care about.

Okay, so simulcasting is dead until the ducks are lined up 5-rows deep, but what about a delayed broadcast? It sounds like 8-to-11 days ought to do the trick.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Um... I wasn't going to post on this, but I'm not getting some of the arguments...

ANN isn't "just" a news site. Or do none of you use the encyclopedia? As for the arguments of FOX News... FOX News is part of FOX. Just like the broadcast network, the movie company...

Company: FOX
Subdivisions: News, Sports Network(s), Broadcast Network, etc.

Company: ANN
Subdivisions: News, Streaming, Encyclopedia...

I don't really see a difference, unless you also say that FOX News isn't allowed to report on sports, since it has a sports network division in the parent company as well.

Okay, you got lost, so lemme reguide you:

When you turn on Fox News, do you expect:

1. A group of middle-aged blowhards and a harem of psuedo-MILF's going rabid over the latest Obama gaff.

OR

2. Seth McFarlaine's pitiful attempt at humor 24/7.

Same idea with ANN. Do you expect:

1. Information and news on whats going on in the Anime Industry.

OR

2. The latest moefication anime of an apple strudel, a tray of sashimi, and a box of gluten free cereal.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
irosylph wrote:
FOX is a poor example for other reasons, though; they're so big that it's actually possible for their news and sports departments to actually be separate companies entirely, in separate buildings/towns, that never really talk directly to each other. In theory. ANN obviously isn't at that level of scale. Also, ANN's slogan directly plays off the idea that you can trust them, which I don't think FOX makes a big deal out of.

1st of all, I see that you've recently registered. Welcome to the joint!

2nd of all, I believe that Fox News's slogans are:
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
I don't really care about FOX. I just used them as an example because someone else had mentioned them, and they are a Broadcasting Group composed of affiliates.

ANN, IMO, should really call their streaming affiliate by a different name, since people will always yell "bias" if it continues on under the same name. Almost every News network out there now is an affiliate of a larger corporate broadcasting group.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
The ANN moderators are willing to delete even the most mellow attack on their site from these forums... but they leave a 9-11 terrorist joke alone?

I have to say, when I first read this, I laughed out loud for the silly accusation. However, my comment has been edited to include this accusation, and now, it's no longer funny.

Yet, I'm not mad. I can understand people get upset over the things they read because they may not have an understanding of the comment as they relate it to events closest to them. Hell, it happens every day. Where it becomes a problem is when people use their observation as though it's the only one possible.

Despite what you believe, Ryojen, the recommendation I proposed was not of the events of 9/11, but of a book. However, your accusation is wrong for two major points:
1) I never proposed the pilot was a terrorist. That's your doing.
2) I never proposed the plane crash into a building. That's your doing.

I don't appreciate your sensitivity level being so high as to request a censorship of a comment you yourself viewed as a joke. Is your next step to rush to your local library and demand they burn books you don't like?

I highly recommend you stop visiting ANN and try a more suitable and sensitive website which will be more than happy to cater to your inability to take a joke.

Quote:
I'm beginning to realize that there is truly a double-standard among the ANN staff.

You appear to see many things which just aren't true, though I am not surprised.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me get this straight. The ANN moderators are willing to delete even the most mellow attack on their site from these forums... but they leave a 9-11 terrorist joke alone?

Outright trolling is all that was removed. Frankly, if I'm trying to filter out attacks on the site then I'm freaking failing miserably because this thread, and others related to this topic, are just loaded with them. The ones that were removed are the "lolz, you suck" kind that do nothing but incite a response and add nothing to the discussion. Only other ones removed were attempts to incite a fansub debate, which frankly exists in plenty other places on this forum to turn these threads in to another.

Again, people like to see what is convenient to go along with conspiracy theories when that's just not true. Some of the most vicious jabs at ANN are still in place and vicious responses to those people were also removed. My role isn't to keep the forums pro-ANN, obviously since so much anti-ANN junk is still around, my role is simply to keep it civil. As for the 9/11 crack, I didn't see it and no one reported it. I can't read the entire forum, so if you see something report it and I'll take a look. Don't complain about inaction when you didn't bother to report it, that's pretty much the way to ensure action. I'm not omnipotent and can't see all there is to see, reports are the number 1 way to point us mods in the right direction and get things handled in a timely manner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I don't really care about FOX. I just used them as an example because someone else had mentioned them, and they are a Broadcasting Group composed of affiliates.

ANN, IMO, should really call their streaming affiliate by a different name, since people will always yell "bias" if it continues on under the same name. Almost every News network out there now is an affiliate of a larger corporate broadcasting group.
Inline with "Anime News Network" would be "Anime Video Network".

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Despite what you believe, Ryojen, the recommendation I proposed was not of the events of 9/11, but of a book. However, your accusation is wrong for two major points:
1) I never proposed the pilot was a terrorist. That's your doing.
2) I never proposed the plane crash into a building. That's your doing. ...
Despite what you may believe, your "proof" that it wasn't a 9-11 joke is what it didn't say. But what it did say fits a 9-11 joke perfectly, and the "joke" part would be the implying of (1) and (2). I definitely read it as you suggesting that people suffering from fan entitlement syndrome should be flown into a building by an antagonist pilot to ignite a full tank of gas. Which I must say would be more than a little extreme.

People who have read the book may not see that, but more people are aware of 9-11 than have read the book, by a very wide margin, leaving you with one whopper of a communication failure there. Editing it to include the phrase, ", as in the book" would seem to be the most adroit fix.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Or just "The Anime Network" Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Or just "The Anime Network" Twisted Evil
Oh, is that still free? You'd think some two-bit fly by night operation would have snared that domain name by now.

Anyway, mate, its all about the branding. You want to maintain the pattern, Anime XXX Network, to support proliferation of divisions while still maintaining a coherent brand family. Anime Video Network does that. Mind, I am neither a marketer by skillset or by paycheck (thought the intersection of those two sets may be smaller than it should be).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11