• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Launches Anime DVD/Blu-ray Kiosks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Media Blasters is basically the cat who had 8,000 lives at this point. I wouldn't be shocked that if this does fail horribly somehow Sirabella will be able to stay in business in some form or another.

That guy is like a horny cockroach.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Media Blasters is basically the cat who had 8,000 lives at this point. I wouldn't be shocked that if this does fail horribly somehow Sirabella will be able to stay in business in some form or another.

wtf man. Anyways, whatever.. although I don't see myself ever using this, I'm still personally rooting for Sirabella and MB.

Just ordered other older MB stuff as well as preordering a few new boxsets, when rightstuf had their MB sale a week ago.

Blood- wrote:
MB is on my poopy list right now over their utter failure to make announced delivery dates for the Queen's Blade complete collection and Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny. Slap me in the face, kick me in the 'nads, insult my ancestors, but do not - I REPEAT, DO NOT - interfere with me getting my kick-ass, female fighters ecchi on.

Anyway, despite my understandable disgruntlement, I hope this works out for them and lets them release titles with say, only 15 delays, instead of the usual 83.

lol, that's true about the delays... but I don't buy singles so it doesn't bother me that much. And most stuff I've pre-ordered I usually have watched or have f/s already. But yeah, it does get annoying.

But for Ikkitousen DD box, rightstuf says October 26:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/E85Xr=LxYc8xU3Xe5C/browse/item/86829/4/0/0

However for Queen's Blade blu-ray box, amazon says October 26:
http://www.amazon.com/Queens-Blu-ray-Collection-Atsuko-TANAKA/dp/B003VL3URA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287141933&sr=8-1

while rightstuf says December 21:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/E85Xr=LxYc8xU3Xe5C/browse/item/88854/4/0/0

so I dunno what's going on there
blaster
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Zac wrote:

That is a great one...I wonder is my wife feels the same. Had to re-activate this account just for that post alone...

I see a new business card in my future...

-js
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Good question. If it fails, I'd imagine this is what will bring down Media Blasters.

Maybe but given the perfect storm of economic suffering causing both company overhead to rise (taxes, bills, etc.) and the few real anime consumers to tighten their wallets, things can't be all that rosey for them.

My prediction, not that I'm a particularly good prophet or anything, is that they'll linger in a haze of uncertainty like several previous companies when it comes to anime while steadily ending their anime licensing and releasing. They'll find ways to finish what they've got but only a few if any new licenses will happen. Like Bandai, they'll have incredible delays and eventually they'll just peter out.

The company won't die, it'll just stop releasing anime.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh I can't use it I don't have a card for it and it dosnt take money Crying or Very sad
The way society is going, you're going to have to get a card eventually no matter what.

$10 in digital cash says Congress one day passes a bill banning currency to protect the trees. Rolling Eyes
blaster
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

My prediction, not that I'm a particularly good prophet or anything, is that they'll linger in a haze of uncertainty like several previous companies when it comes to anime while steadily ending their anime licensing and releasing. They'll find ways to finish what they've got but only a few if any new licenses will happen. Like Bandai, they'll have incredible delays and eventually they'll just peter out.

Hey don't be a Debbie Downer...I predict in a couple of weeks there will be big news from US that will let you know there will be plenty of releases in the future...

No more anime...that will only happen when the publishers stop producing but otherwise I see anime to continue as always.

-js
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Part of me wants this to work for Media Blasters and everyone involved and to be successful, but also part of me says that this might fail as a whole.

Regardless I wish the best of luck to everyone involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
blaster wrote:
Hey don't be a Debbie Downer...I predict in a couple of weeks there will be big news from US that will let you know there will be plenty of releases in the future...

No more anime...that will only happen when the publishers stop producing but otherwise I see anime to continue as always.

-js

Man, I really hope this works out for you. I've always liked MB, and I hope the company continues.

I still need to finish collecting the other series I'm interested in from you: MKR remastered (I still have the VHS), full series of Kenshin (I have the Kyoto arc on VHS), and Tweeny Witches. Maybe Gao Gai Gar.

A long while ago, I thought I an announcement about Record of Lodoss War being released again. I already own the tv series, but I've been meaning to buy the OVA. My friend has it and she's offering it to me, but I wanted to hold out and see if there was going to be a re-release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashes of Astroworld

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
They need to get the kiosks in college campuses. I know an anime shop near Rice University was able to survive longer due to rentals. Sadly, it was not enough. If there was a kiosk at the community college down the street, I would probably use it to check out some shows.

I totally agree. There would be a good number of college anime clubs that raid an anime rental box. Not to mention that the number of casual watchers or newcomers that would just walk up, take a look and maybe try something hat catches their eye.

And, please put two in Houston. Don't let Rice have all the fun.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
A long while ago, I thought I an announcement about Record of Lodoss War being released again. I already own the tv series, but I've been meaning to buy the OVA. My friend has it and she's offering it to me, but I wanted to hold out and see if there was going to be a re-release.

There was an announcement this past February, but no word since then. We can hope that a further announcement is part of what JS is hinting at, although it is easy from a business standpoint to place priority on more current titles, where the buzz may fade if there is any delay.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Well this is just my opinion after reading the article, but I think that it's a great idea.
Even if the market isn't terribly large, the existence of such kiosks will serve as regular, everyday publicity that may raise awareness of the anime market and possibly bring in more fans.

My opinion, in general, is that anything that will help draw positive attention to anime is a good thing for the industry. The case of these kiosks seems to be just that. Too bad I'll probably never see any such kiosks in my town.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
$10 in digital cash says Congress one day passes a bill banning currency to protect the trees. Rolling Eyes

Paper money isn't made from trees. Wood-pulp paper isn't durable enough to be used as money.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
blaster wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

-js

He's in cahoots with the enemy John. Love ya bro.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Paper money isn't made from trees. Wood-pulp paper isn't durable enough to be used as money.
I honestly wasn't aware that our "paper" currency wasn't actually made from, well, paper. Having just looked it up to confirm your correction, I can honestly say I was in error. (Though I think the general intent of my comment, that Congress doesn't have its priorities straight, is valid.)

It wasn't really an important point anyway so I probably shouldn't have posted it at all. My bad. Anime cry
blaster wrote:

-js
I want to be an optimist but life experience has ground me into a pessimist. Believe me, I'd much rather be able to look at the world and feel anticipation and hope but at this time I struggle to find a reason to feel anything at all.

As to the hint of big news, as an anime fan who prefers English dubs, I severely doubt that news will be of any benefit to me. As an anime consumer who buys only hybrid releases, I don't expect to being spending much in the future.

Though as I have posted here and elsewhere, I am VERY GRATEFUL when proven wrong in this regard. By all means, if your company has hybrid releases planned, I'm quick to consider them and likely to buy them when I have money. (My family is officially out of work now so money is tight. I'm serious. My savings are finally gone. Excess school loans are about the only thing I can draw on now.)

luffypirate85 wrote:
He's in cahoots with the enemy John. Love ya bro.
I hope that was a joke because otherwise I find the comment offensive. I am not in "cahoots" with anyone. Any company that fails to provide a product in a form I wish to consume will not get my support for that product, period. If the company fails me often enough, I will generally not support that company until they start pleasing me.

When Mr. Sirabella expressed a desire to re-release several formerly sub-only series in a hybrid format, I praised that choice. I praised one such release when I reviewed it. I bought the first volumes of Kanokon and Queens Blade largely because I wanted to support MB's recent hybrid releases after a spat of sub-only releases. (Plus I like fanservice titles so it was a win-win. Only reason I haven't gotten more of QB is I'm seriously tempted to get the Blu-Ray set and my money is too tight right now.)

Hell, I've bought more than a few MB titles over the years and frankly I liked quite a few of them very much. If they dubbed everything they licensed, I'd have very few reasons to complain about them at all.

If MB releases anime with an English dub included, and the anime is one that interests me, I will buy it eventually. I will support it. I will praise it as far I feel it can be reasonable praised and admit any faults I think are reasonable to cite.

The only reason I comment negatively about some companies more often than not is because they are doing things that annoy me more often than not. I could care less which succeeds or fails so long as that one that succeeds puts out a product that pleases me as a consumer.

I have fewer good things to say about a company that does more to annoy me than it does to please me. That doesn't mean I'm in "cahoots" with anyone. If anything, it means I have a perfectly rational and valid opinion based on principles I apply equally to all.

Would an anime fan who dislikes moe be in "cahoots" with anime companies that put out mecha anime if that fan happens to like mecha, praises mecha and buys mecha anime and complains about companies that put out moe anime?

Perhaps I'm overreacting but I really do find what you posted offensive. The implication that my opinions aren't real is extremely insulting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3