• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Replaces Kanokon 2/3 DVDs with Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Good point njprogfan- I doubt I'll be buying Kanokon anytime soon, but Media Blastes makes tons of shows *I do like*, and tons of shows other people will enjoy even if I might not, so throwing rage upon for putting out a show not to your tastes is kind of pointless.
The more anime distributors out there, the better for everyone, as it keeps things nice and diverse. All the fans happily buying those shows help keep everything afloat and help the shows I do want make it here, so getting mad about them releasing a show a lot of people like but I'm not super excited for is pointless.

Also, while boxsets are convienent, I'll take a show however I can get it [Gunbuster 2 singles were quite worth it Smile], and to be fair, MB had generally made their singles very affordable, most around $20 [so a complete series subbed or dubbed would cost $60 for 13 eps or $100 for 26 eps with most of their releases, around the same as Funimations 13 ep boxsets work out to].

They did singles because singles worked for them up until their most recent shows, which is why they're switching to boxsets, as retailers are shrinking anime space, and those fit in better. I imagine though, that they'll do singles again where appropriate- Bandai's doing singles for K-On, Funimation's pretty much doing singles for Hetalia. If a show's big enough to merit a prolonged release with lots of fancy extras and packins, I imagine they'll give it a try.

Thanks Paploo, you make very valid points about Media Blasters here and your previous post. In fact, I'm watching Moribito for the first time now, and I'm going the singles route. I have the income to buy singles w/artboxes, and enjoy the extras that come within, (extra artwork, omakes, inserts, permiums). I don't support/not support companies just by the type of shows they decide to license in the US. As your previous post stated, Media Blasters has a wide array of shows to please the most jaded of fans. To media blast a company because of one or two shows in particular just shows me a complete lack of knowledge or some other reason that I couldn't possibly fathom.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, that explains a lot. At least, the first DVD single I bought was a minimal investment. Here is to more waiting for the rest of the series.

Megiddo wrote:
Now if only they would announce a release date for Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei.

Though I guess brilliant dark comedy/sarcasm/social commentary doesn't sell as much as banal and brainless boob shows.

I am still waiting for a official announcement as well. Let's hope that when Media Blasters does release SZS, it will be in season box sets instead of singles.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

I am still waiting for a official announcement as well. Let's hope that when Media Blasters does release SZS, it will be in season box sets instead of singles.

It won't be singles since Kanokon was supposed to be MB's last series released in singles, so if SZS does get released it will likely be a box set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Bandai's doing singles for K-On,

Bandai's just about doing it for Gundam 00 Season 2 breaking the series into 4 boxes which is 3-6 ep sets & a 7 ep set.

Paploo wrote:
Funimation's pretty much doing singles for Hetalia.

Hetalia's a bit different. It is 26 5 minute eps which do make up a season so while the number of minutes seems low, the number of eps is correct.

There are a lot of worthy MB titles, Terrier. Gokudo was excellent (maybe like it more than Slayers). Zenki was fun. 12 Kingdoms. Shinesman. Twin Signal (Near-sighted attack droid. Love it). Yaoi (Yeah! yaoi!). Apocalypse Zero which is just violent as hell. Berserk. Some Harlock stuff. Earthian which forever marked Kazuhiko Inoue for me as the rough angel because Chihaya complains how rough Kagetsuya was in bed the night before. Magic Users was an interesting title. Master of Mosquiton-have to have it in one's Akahori collection along with Mouse & might as well mention Tekkaman Blade since Akahori & Obari were involved in that one. Knight Hunters, Mirage of Blaze, Nighthead Genesis, Princess Princess-MB has been pretty good to us gals. Kenshin, SDK, Otogi Zoshi for the samurai fix. I don't know where to put Jewel Hunter BEM, but it was VERY interesting. Giant Robo is good, but damn, Ginrei Special is worth it for those 2 eps with the drinking Daisaku & the boobie missles. Or were those rockets.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Good news to my ears. I was hoping for a boxset.
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Is the complete boxset out yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3