• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Longview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Great Teacher Onizuka: Mr. Holland's Opus meets Kick-Ass

I'd say To Sir, With Love rather than Mr. Holland's Opus, as the former has the same kind of infamously difficult single class of high school students the teacher gradually wins over during a single school year as GTO.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
There's a whole load of series I would nominate for live action mini-series or even ongoing series, but movies? Come on, guys, how much would they have to cut to turn most of these suggestions into a film? A single Monster movie would be a travesty.

The best thing would be to pick a series that has arcs and could be adapted into a first film easily. To which end I vote for Black Lagoon, hands down. I'd love even more to see it done HBO mini-series style, but you could easily convert it into an utterly kickass movie.

Now I need to actually listen to the podcast, I suppose...

Some of these titles-- Black Lagoon, for example --break up nicely into different arcs. I already suggested how to break up the incredibly lengthy Skip Beat as well.

...Though you're dead-on about Monster. Cram that whole thing into a movie? No way.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
There's a whole load of series I would nominate for live action mini-series or even ongoing series, but movies? Come on, guys, how much would they have to cut to turn most of these suggestions into a film? A single Monster movie would be a travesty.

The best thing would be to pick a series that has arcs and could be adapted into a first film easily. To which end I vote for Black Lagoon, hands down. I'd love even more to see it done HBO mini-series style, but you could easily convert it into an utterly kickass movie.

Now I need to actually listen to the podcast, I suppose...

That's a point. An anime episode is about 20 minutes of content. Sometimes an episode could be represented faithfully in a movie with tighter editing in 10min to 15min, but OTOH, some episodes are packed into that structure. Suppose with tight editing its 15mins. average. For back of the envelope, 10 minutes for opening and credits, 10 minutes to get people into an out of the theater, a 2:00 schedule movie is 100 minutes of content ~ about 5 to 7 episodes worth. And obviously good editing might find another 15 minutes to tighten it up further.

That's where I don't see Last Exile: I don't see where it delivers any ending before the ending that makes a good complete story on its own, and its got too many chess pieces to move to be anything but a shadow of the impact in about 7 episodes worth. An eight-part mini-series, one broadcast hour each part, you may be able to fit 3 episodes worth in each part, and at 24 episodes worth you've got a massive number of half-year series that fit in that format, so sure ... but then how could the BBC refund the cost to make it unless it was in the Doctor Who universe? Even with SyFy channel and Ozzie participation?

However, I could see FLAG cut down to a roughly half its length and giving a similar kick to the gut at the end.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
Some of these titles-- Black Lagoon, for example --break up nicely into different arcs. I already suggested how to break up the incredibly lengthy Skip Beat as well.

Yeah.... I wasn't going to read five pages of answers to this, I'm selfish like that. Wink Baccano! could work if you went back to the original light novels, and adapted one of them. And with a lot of anime, like Zac said in the 'cast about Eden of the East, you could take the concept and reinterpret it into a movie. Death Note could not be turned into a movie, but the idea of a person finding a notebook you can use to kill people and someone having to stop them easily could. Heck, lots of series you could do that.

Movie-to-movie, if you want a tightly faithful adaptation, is probably the best bet; otherwise, short series or series with easily separated arcs, that's what you have to look at.

After listening to the 'cast, it does always hearten me that every time somebody involved in Cowboy Bebop talks about it, they clearly know the series. Maybe not by heart like rabid fans, but they get it and they get why people like it. Whatever comes of it, whether it gets made or not or is a failure or not, we at least won't have the equivalent of "angst-filled teenage Goku."
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Ian K wrote:
Great Teacher Onizuka: Mr. Holland's Opus meets Kick-Ass

I'd say To Sir, With Love rather than Mr. Holland's Opus, as the former has the same kind of infamously difficult single class of high school students the teacher gradually wins over during a single school year as GTO.

...and I'd say Jackass rather than Kick-Ass in tone, but c'est la vie. Laughing
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
i second a liveaction american version of boys over flowers ^^
and i think Honey Hunt would be a nice live action movie, but that's all i can think of right now Very Happy
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
BTW I also wanted to give props to Mr. Long for giving a pretty good interview. More often then not with industry folks we get to many corporate BS answers but he definitely gave some open and honest answers and insight on what's going on which I found pretty intriguing. Not only that but he seems to actually know what he's talking about as most of the time when I hear Hollywood folks talk about anime they don't really seem to know what their talking about or seem to have never even really watched anime. If they ever get Bebop off the ground I definitely feel better about it as it seemed like he and the others working on it have really taken the time to sit down and watch the series and talk to the original creators to really make sure they stay true to the Bebop world and it's characters.

Either way I wish him and his crew the best of luck getting Bebop off the ground as listening to that made me feel like they could really make a great movie and do it a lot of justice as a live action flick (just as long as they don't hire a Micheal Bay to direct it).
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I think a live action version of the old Toward the Terra could be cool, if done in a retro-futuristic Logan's Run style. In general, though, I have to question the need to remake anime. The time when theatrical adaptation had any kind of cachet is long past (due, probably, to an overall decline in standards and dilution by the onslaught of mediocre comic book and video game adaptations in the past few years). And really, the thought of a preening hollywood actress trying to imitate an anime character is certainly not something I find is cool in any way.
dan_bellucci

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well GEE ANN I on't think anyone could have "leaked" the episode if you guys hadn't uploaded it to your servers more than a day early.

It's a tough concept to grasp, I know but do try.
Zach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
A good adaptation of Fist of the North Star. It's Bruce Lee as Mad Max, it's the easiest and hardest thing to get right at the same time, but it would make an excellent film franchise if produced correctly. The promise of insane martial arts like the Matrix or Ong Bak with the post-apocalyptic edge of the Mad Max films and Book of Eli would sell an audience not already knowledgeable about the series.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad to hear that the Cowboy Bebop movie focuses on Spike, Vicious, Julia and the Red Dragons. That's really where the series was at it's best. I just hope they don't ruin the casting of Ed, as she'll be hard to cast (I'm so glad to hear that she's in the film! I was worried they'd just cut her). However, with what was said about not killing off Spike at the end...if the first film is going to deal with the Red Dragon/Vicious thing, wouldn't it be better to end the film like the anime series, with the mystery of whether he died or not? That way, if you can do a sequel, then you can explain how he survived, or simply, that he did survive, and either do an adaptation of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, or an original story, or base it off one of the standalone episodes (Such as "Cowboy Funk" or "Brain Scratch")...and, if you can't, then it leaves the same aura of mystery as the original series.

Trauma Team sounds really interesting...I'd definitely watch it if it ever hits the UK xD.

As for what anime I think could be done as a live-action movie? The problem is, a lot of the more popular anime are shonen titles, which as Dragonball Evolution proved, are hard to translate into a western live-action, especially as mentioned, the length of said series. I'd say it would be better for the series if they had Live-Action TV series, but obviously, they'll end up more expensive.

Itazura na Kiss has had several successful Singaporean TV shows. An American one would certainly go down well. So would an adaptation of Rumbling Hearts.

Mentioned in the Podcast was Eden of the East...that sounds like a safe choice for a film xD. Code Geass would be exciting. However, it is 2 seasons of 25 episodes, so keeping the story will be impossible. I wouldn't mind seeing the major characters and the whole "Taking down Britannia, revive Japan and create a world where Nunnally can live" could easily be done, as long as the whole V.V./Charles thing was retained.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this...but you know what could make a good film for young children? Tokyo Mew Mew, if it's filmed with the absurd almost-camp colour seen in films like "The Cat in the Hat". The series is short (about 7 volumes?) and could easily be condensed. It seems like too many younger audience films are targeted towards boys. TMM could easily hit the 8-13 female audience...but it has a lot of potential to be a flop xD

I know Japan tried to do this, but a US Casshern could be pretty cool.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Itazura na Kiss has had several successful Singaporean TV shows. An American one would certainly go down well. So would an adaptation of Rumbling Hearts.

uh correction, Itazura Na Kiss live-action show was done by Taiwan, as It started with a kiss and the sequel, They Kiss again. Also South Korea also made Itazura Na Kiss into live-action and was broadcast until Oct 21 (13 episode long). But yeah you're not alone that Itazura Na Kiss need a American adaptation. Also I would love to see Rumbling Hearts be made into live-action drama/movie. I'm expecting Japan or any part of Asia to maybe adapt first, but a American version would be nice (and probably Russia would adapt this into a live-action since that show is well-known over there).

Another anime that I think would do so well as a live-action is Midori Days. The manga is 8 volume long and I think it can be condensed for a movie or a TV show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Eden of the East sounds like my kind of anime. An interesting idea, sculpted into a cool show. Consider it added to my buy list. Wish we could get more like this.

As for anime/manga that would make good adaptions, I agree Baccano would be cool movie or series. Berserk could be awesome.

From games, I think Hotel Dusk/The Lost Window would be perfect, with its detective stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Berserk could be awesome.

depending how well A Game Of Thrones does, this may actually work on a premium cable network. Even with all the gore and sex in the manga wouldn't need to be edited that much.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Even though the likelihood of any of these animes becoming movies are way low, I would like to see:

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Darker Than Black
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gravitation
School Rumble
Tokyo Babylon
FLCL
Eden of the East
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7