• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pet Girl of Sakurasou Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
A lot of people wrote this one off when they heard about it; not from the premise, but from the title alone. I do think that a lot of people are taking their assumptions back now (hell, it jumped a full seven spots on the most recent The List; given her feelings in the Preview Guide, I was surprised it wasn't an immediate drop).
Pet Girl started out at the very bottom for most people before the first episode had even aired. It may not be the best anime, but it is certainly the surprise hit of the season. And I can't wait to see what the story brings to us next.

I dunno, these types of shows often have cut-and-paste tragic character backstories and badly-written drama and secret hidden angsty feelings (NakaImo and KoiChoco from last season come to mind). Hell, the Key/Kyoto Animation triumvirate is basically that but a grade or two above and with the outer appeal being more pure, lighthearted moe rather than fetishistic fanservice. I wasn't surprised Pet Girl wasn't trash, I was just impressed by how the real drama was better than average and even edged out the less than palatable material.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
When I was reading this review of "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou,"the theme song to the old 1970's series "The Odd Couple" kept playing in my head. I couldn't help making the comparison to the two shows,as I have often done. It seems like the creators of this show had seen either the movie version of Neil Simon's play or seen the old tv show and thought "Hmmm,maybe we can do an anime version of this but do it differently than Mr. Simon did." Oh boy! Did they ever!
The lead character of this one seems like a far less prissy version of Felix Ungar. He seems nice and willing to help out his new roommate,although he might not like all of her bizarre tendencies. The female roommate reminds me a lot of Oscar Madison,although her messiness would get under even Oscar's skin,and that's saying a lot. This girl reminded me of a character from a commercial I seen when I was little. He was called Messy Marvin and it seems like the lead female character got some tips from that kid.

If this review is to be believed,then "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou" takes elements of "The Odd Couple" and takes them to their extremes. I hope this gets dubbed into English someday. I'd love to see it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I did not like episode 2, of this show. I picked it up due to the reviews on stream and other series. I wanted to drop it 3/4 of the way through episode 2, and I knew I would hate episode 1 and just read a synopsis.
then I got to the conversation about talent and then the show clicked from there on. I ended up Marathoning it through to episode 6. that said I saw the next episode preview and gulped and stopped marathoning it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Like the review and other posters state, I had written the show off as soon as I heard the synopsis. I have no idea why I gave episode 1 a try ( I think a very lazy Sunday morning), but I'm glad I did. It isn't a masterpiece, but I agree that the characters are very likable and, well, deep.

I wasn't expecting to even finish the first episode; I'd added all this seasons new shows to my Crunchyroll queue to try out and watched it just so I could get it out of the way.

I think it is the most purely enjoyable show this season, possibly tying with Chuu2koi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Given that the worst episode so far (the one where Sorata's incredibly annoying little sister pays Sakurasou a visit, and hackneyed hijinks ensue) was written by the novels' author, I'm inclined to believe my problems with the show's writing are due to the source material, and not to how Mari Okada and the rest of the writing staff are adapting it.

What's been keeping me invested in the show is how the characters are all involved with creative arts in some form, and now they're pooling their talents to make something special. I hope this aspect of the story stays strong even after the current arc is over.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Add in ye ol' dormfull of talented wackjobs, stir in a torturously familiar love triangle, and you get expectations low enough to limbo under your couch and collect dust bunnies.
You're being too kind here. My expectations are located more on the other side of the water block in the u-bend of my toilet for this.
AP24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Maybe a review should have been made after 12 episodes instead of 6 episodes, because ep7-12 were better than ep1-6 in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2