• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CMX Manga Director Suzuki Joins Tokyopop

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Yay! I'm so happy for her! She has such great taste in manga! Very Happy
CowboyEd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Though Tokyopop is famous for not finishing series, I really hope she brings some of those unfinished CMX titles with her. I'd love to complete my collections of:
I Hate You More Than Anyone!
Venus Capriccio
Two Flowers for the Dragon
Swan
Stolen Hearts
A Tale of an Unknown Country
Venus in Love
Go Go Heaven!!
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if she'll be able to bring over any CMX titles, but she does bring over her ties with the japanese editors and artists she handled licensing for at CMX. So here's hoping we'll see more of their manga and other great finds pop up at Tokyopop Smile
TPop seems to have chosen some interesting licenses lately, and I'm guessing the quality of the CMX titles made her a good choice for Manga Line Editor.
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, she decides to convince Tokyopop to license all the titles CMX dropped when it shut down its operations. Nyan Koi would be a great addition to my collection.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully she'll convince Tokyopop to finish some of the series they appear to have abandoned.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
bored-otaku wrote:
Hopefully, she decides to convince Tokyopop to license all the titles CMX dropped when it shut down its operations. Nyan Koi would be a great addition to my collection.

I'm guessing the unreleased licenses [51 Ways to Save Her, Nyan Koi, and The Phantom Guesthouse OGN, among a few others] will have the best chances of getting relicensed. Though it probably depends on how long CMX has to sit on them for contractually, or if the rights reverted back to the japanese companies when they closed the imprint.

This does have me looking forward to Tokyopop's output- she had a great knack for finding excellent catalogue titles from Hakuensha, Enterbrain and other manga publishers. Curious if she'd be able to get TPop anything from Flex manga too [I'd love the new Vampire Princess Miyu series they're publishing- I think Nyan Koi was one of their titles for that matter]
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Hopefully she'll convince Tokyopop to finish some of the series they appear to have abandoned.

Oh yeah I been waiting for any information regarding Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase from them. I have emailed them twice and I never got a response. Evil or Very Mad That is why I have not started a new series with them. I'm afraid they will canceled it through halfway like they do a lot of their titles. The only good news I can say about them is that they started to continue releasing more of the Chibi Vampire Novels. Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent news! Other than the occasional CEO ego-stroking they still do from time to time, I feel like Tokyopop has been doing a lot better lately, getting better licenses, sticking to a decent release schedule, etc. Having one of the best parts of former CMX joining them will just improve their image in my eyes even more. I hope they announce some license that Suzuki choose that will make me go :3 face
lys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
Oh yeah I been waiting for any information regarding Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase from them. I have emailed them twice and I never got a response. :evil: That is why I have not started a new series with them. I'm afraid they will canceled it through halfway like they do a lot of their titles. The only good news I can say about them is that they started to continue releasing more of the Chibi Vampire Novels. :)

I understand why you're hesitant to start new series, but Tokyopop hasn't put any more titles on hiatus since back in 2008, and they've started bringing back a number of those hiatus-ed series when they can (as indicated by fans' interest, people buying the title, etc). So keep pestering them, get your friends/library to buy copies of Tsukiyomi, and so on. And if there are series you're interested in that they currently are releasing, I really encourage buying them—this'll give Tokyopop funds that they can put into bringing back more of the on-hold series (as well as ensuring they don't have to put any new series on hold).

Anyway. I'm so happy to hear this—Asako seemed super nice from when I posted occasionally in CMX's forum, and I definitely admired her licensing choices, so I think it's great she's still working to bring us manga! (And I too felt a twinge of hope for some of the titles CMX left unfinished, when I heard this news :D) Actually, the coming-out-in-two-weeks Stellar Six of Gingacho always seemed to me like a CMX-y sort of series...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Hopefully she bitchslaps DJ Milky outta TOKYOPOP from running itself into the ground with his actions. She has firsthand knowledge in such subjects!!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm so happy to hear this—Asako seemed super nice from when I posted occasionally in CMX's forum,

All the CMX people who posted on forum were really nice. They always tried their best to answer questions and they seemed genuinly interested in the titles they were publishing.

Quote:
And I too felt a twinge of hope for some of the titles CMX left unfinished, when I heard this news Very Happy

Me too! Some of the shoujo titles are perfect for Tokyopop and it wouldn't be the first time they rescued something. You know what would be awesome? An Apothecarius Argentum omnibus edition.

If Tokyopop becomes a little more like CMX I may start liking that company again.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
If Tokyopop becomes a little more like CMX I may start liking that company again.

How ironic.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Awesomeness! CMX really had some quality titles (adapted very well, too). I figured they were our best hope for an old but awesome title like "Rose of Versailles"--here's hoping Asako-san can make it happen at Tokyopop!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

They already did the "damn the fans, censor/edit crap to hell" shtick. And the dropping of titles like flies shtick. And seriously, when was the last time you saw a TOKYOPOP ad in any magazine like Anime Insider??
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
While I'm sure Suzuki's tastes will have a positive impact on TP's licensing choices, I have no idea where people are getting this "Asako owns ALL OF CMX and Tokyopop will magically license-rescue everything CMX has ever done" from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2