• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamikazecon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnieMae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Something needs to be done to slow down or stop the fansub market if the indistory is getting hit so hard by it.

Just a question, but hasn't the DVD market taken a hit based on how mainstream the genre is now?

I remember when I was buying DVDs weekly...it was the ONLY way to see anime. Now anime has its own network, is shown on at least two different satellite channels daily, AND I can easily rent any series I want from any of the online DVD rental companies (Netflix, Greencine, Blockbuster, etc.) ...and not just Tenchi Muyo or Sailor Moon, but harder to find stuff like Bubblegum Crisis and City Hunter.

Personally, I don't buy DVDs any longer unless I want to collect them. I'm stuck with a ton of DVDs that if I had seen the show first I wouldn't have bought them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that anime is so popular, but I feel there are a number of reasons that anime DVD sales are declining...and I don't think that fansubs is the major contributor (although I'm sure it is a big one.)

Of course, I love my extras. As long as companies keep adding them (CDs, collectibles, etc.) I'll continue to buy my DVD sets. Any company that shows appreciation for the fans is good in my book. Viz and their 3 episodes/disc Inuyasha or Ranma DVDs (or wait a couple of years for a boxset) is a joke. I've pretty much given up on them as a company.

OK -- that's my two cents... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
It's good to hear that FUNimation was able to have a reunion tour of sorts for the TM OVA3. (Continuity is good.) I'm not sure who the 2% could be, but I have a hunch, even though it's probably a pretty bad one.

The percentage is more like 85%-90%. We weren't able to get one VA from the original ensemble. We were able to get everyone else. We had our resident uber-Tenchi fangirl intern to watch the preview dubs and she could not tell the VA was a voice match.
A big WELL DONE from me, for that. Yes, long live good continuity. It pays. Wink
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AnnieMae wrote:
I remember when I was buying DVDs weekly...it was the ONLY way to see anime. Now anime has its own network, is shown on at least two different satellite channels daily, AND I can easily rent any series I want from any of the online DVD rental companies (Netflix, Greencine, Blockbuster, etc.) ...and not just Tenchi Muyo or Sailor Moon, but harder to find stuff like Bubblegum Crisis and City Hunter.

Remember how those Family Guy DVDs sold so well that it even brought the show back from the grave? I don't think it would've sold half as well if it hadn't aired on television in the first place. I can only imagine television helping DVD sales more than hurting them, as it gets awareness of the show out there. I'm no expert on the subject, though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

The flood of crap that populates the shelves these days ("Aired on Japanese TV last year? We need it on DVD, RIGHT NOW!") probably hurts the market more. Still, I can't say I'm completely sure of that either, so I'd love to hear from someone more educated on the subject than I.
neumaverick
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Thought I'd chime in here (I'm the Tenchi Ryo Ohki Brand Manager at Funimation) to support Lance's statement.
After hearing the dub for the series I was very happy. Ben a Tenchi fan since I first hit the US. I believe that al the fans of the original will be happy with this dub. And the one VA we couldn't get their replacement is great. I hope that you all like it!
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Some of us don't have thousands of dollars a month to spend on dvds....a lot of anime isn't really worth buying either. So if knowing that a show is worth buying before you buy it is wrong, then I don't want to be right. I'll buy shows that I love and think deserve my support. You can't expect everyone to buy everything you come out with, it's not possible. We have so many dvds coming out from so many companies, you can't expect them all to sell. They won't all sell. The good ones will. The good ones always sell. But good is relative.

Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
Some of us don't have thousands of dollars a month to spend on dvds....a lot of anime isn't really worth buying either.

I'm not interested in starting another debate on fansubs, but I must have missed the part of the panel where Matt said he expects everyone to spend thousands on anime every month. There are a great many people who seem to feel that they would rather get something for free then spend any amount of money to buy it. I'm glad that you are one of the ones that actually goes and buys good series. As for the good ones always selling, with the upcoming release of Naruto we'll finally be able to tell for sure. If the numbers are anywhere near the popularity it's had online, then that will be supported. If the numbers aren't.... well then we'll know subs aren't helping.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Something needs to be done to slow down or stop the fansub market if the indistory is getting hit so hard by it.
I think the slow sales are more due to the saturation of the market more then anything. its not like the old days of course there was plenty of crap coming out back then as well but it seems like the ratio of crap to decent series seems to be higher now atleast as far as shelf space is conserned when I go look at the shelfs of the local video stores (ie best buy and suncoast) could just be picked over thu.
but then agien ADV seems to be the only studio thats saying fansubs are a problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:

but then agien ADV seems to be the only studio thats saying fansubs are a problem.

They aren't the only one, but the only one who has really gotten into the mess of trying to get their stuff removed from sites, and been speaking publicly about it. I don't think most companies want to drive away any sales by alienating those that download fansubs AND purchase DVDs.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The main problem with sales is the fact that anime is pretty darned expensive. There are tons of titles out there and a good percentage of those titles are not worth owning. While there have been some price reductions on old titles (which is a good thing), $25/DVD for 3 or 4 episodes means heavy investment.

I spend tons of money on anime and manga because I believe in supporting the good stuff. I rent licensed titles to check them out first and unless I know I'm going to re-watch the series several times, I'm not going to buy it.

As to TM!R, I hope that FUNimation didn't domesticate the dubs as they did for GXP. If so, I can expect to get lots of e-mails asking me why I say one thing on my TM!R FAQ site when the dub says something else.

I am thankful that FUNimation's subtitles are accurate and include honorifics though. Cool
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
TM!R

Tenchi Muyo Revolution? What?! Wink

Anyway, localization is the perogative of the company. As long as it's coherent (and the don't add -ster to everyone's name), I'm fine. However, I want this to come on TV for the sole reason of seeing if ye old edit techniques still take place.

Yeah, I'm weird. Deal.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
Ok, so Allen finally posted a clarification over at AoD, and it turns out that Matt mispoke, and that the web exclusives are not going to be exclusive to ADV only after all.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Ok, so Allen finally posted a clarification over at AoD, and it turns out that Matt mispoke, and that the web exclusives are not going to be exclusive to ADV only after all.

Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the front page to reflect that, and gave you credit for it.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
Is the 2% Ellen Gerstel? Please tell me it's not Ellen Gerstel. I mean it. Seriously. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please PLEASE tell me it's NOT Ellen Gerstel who's unable to reprise their role.

White Knight of KOME, yes I am nucking futs.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'd think I'd settle for Reba West. Lord knows she's only been in the business since time immemorial, she must know what she's doing. Wink

I'm thinking Debi for no apparent reason other than that she is/was working on Zatch Bell and Jimmy Neutron. I now have another hunch, but I'm not telling. Razz

I just hope Sherry Lynn joins the fun. And Jennifer, just because I think she's the only one who fits the classic Ayeka mold (other than maybe my anime con's department head.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
TM!R

Tenchi Muyo Revolution? What?! Wink
You are taking the mick, right? Wink

Quote:
Anyway, localization is the perogative of the company. As long as it's coherent (and the don't add -ster to everyone's name), I'm fine. However, I want this to come on TV for the sole reason of seeing if ye old edit techniques still take place.

Yeah, I'm weird. Deal.
But of course it still does! Just look at what they did to "One Piece", and probably for the same old lame reason. "TV-7-14 made us do it" Wink

Glad to see someone at the front line of anime sales reporting that fansubs aren't the "saviors of anime" like so many makers and consumers make themselves out to be. No different than bootleggers and the mugs who buy 'em the lot of ya. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3