• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eden of the East BLURAY

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

You know buddy, it's perfectly fine to think something is overrated, but to more or less say that a person is wrong for giving something high praise is in pretty poor taste if you ask me.

Given something that doesn't reserve high praise is what overrated means genius, it's also the mark of poor writing in itself

Shenl742 wrote:

If anything, Carl's review is much better written then the one you made for you first post...in my honest opinion

How so? Oh yeah I forgot that Carl is a "professional" anime reviewer, he doesn't really have to actually review anything in depth because he has blind followers like you how agree with everything he says because he's a "professional", boy you sure told me Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ChocoBar9 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame the movies slow down to a crawl and basically ruin all of the fun and excitement of the shows. There's a good 20 minutes in the first one where it's the non-main characters sitting around a computer and talking about God knows what, with absolutely no background music and just a bunch of slow pans.
B.K.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Is this set really in HD or is it another cheap Funimation upscale job?
ChocoBar9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
Is this set really in HD or is it another cheap Funimation upscale job?

It's HD, it was released on Bluray in Japan so Funi can't mess around with it
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar9 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

You know buddy, it's perfectly fine to think something is overrated, but to more or less say that a person is wrong for giving something high praise is in pretty poor taste if you ask me.

Given something that doesn't reserve high praise is what overrated means genius, it's also the mark of poor writing in itself

Shenl742 wrote:

If anything, Carl's review is much better written then the one you made for you first post...in my honest opinion

How so? Oh yeah I forgot that Carl is a "professional" anime reviewer, he doesn't really have to actually review anything in depth because he has blind followers like you how agree with everything he says because he's a "professional", boy you sure told me Rolling Eyes

Your first post could have benefitted from better punctuation. It was a little difficult to read since the sentences ran together. No biggie.

You really should stop crying now. I found your post/review valuable since you like shows I don't like, and vise-versa. I know that if you don't like a show, then I probably will like it. Now that Carl has endorsed the show, and you have panned it, I'm pretty sure that I will be happy with my purchase. Yay!!! Smile
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hm....so, C.K. says that Eden of the East is the best series this year(assuming he's strictly talking about english releases)? Well, last year, he said that Baccano! was one of the best series of last year. After picking it up, it became not only my favorite series of last year, but one of my favorite series of all time.

Looks like I've gotta pick this one up. Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
I have heard quite polarized reviews of this series; that is, for everyone (including now Carl) praising it as the best series of 2009, I hear another person (including one of my roommates) say that while it starts off very intriguing, it kind of loses its focus around the halfway point and quickly becomes unnecessarily nonsensical. As for myself, being more or less generally in agreement with Carl and Zac Bertschy's views, as well as a big fan of pretty much everything Kenji Kamiyama has worked.

I read an online review that absolutely eviscerated the series by pointing out its plot holes point for point, and it came from someone I respect, even if I don't agree with him all the time. In a political thriller, it's important to me to pay attention to the details a bit more.

Me, I like Kenji Kamiyama a lot, I'm a big fan of his GITS stuff. But I find he's only as good as his script. He's a great director for screenwriters since he directs with great respect to them. But when a script is weak, it shows a lot more in his work. As for Carl, I agree more with his "in the middle" reviews and less so with his wild pans and praises. He sometimes tends to go too over the top for my tastes when liking or disliking something.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Agreed. Writing off SAC's superb characterization as "cold" just doesn't wash. The second season episode with Batou in that church with the blind girl... MAN. Kamiyama's gift for character writing is pretty obvious in everything he does. For my money, Moribito is the balanced middle ground between the subtlety of SAC and the broad character strokes of Eden. Good stuff all around.

and...

Quote:
I'd say that's about accurate. Since everybody else is doing it, I guess I'll take the opportunity to respectfully disagree with Carl re. characterization in SAC as well. It's been awhile Razz

It's weird that Carl would come to that conclusion... Heck, one of the points of GitS was going in-depth over such matters. If anything, that alone made whatever emotions and characterization MORE appreciable(of course, one shouldn't mix appreciable with quality. Even without the theme, the characters were still quite good).
Heck, Moribito's silent theme of embracing love was SOOO touching for me... I... was blown away...

Quote:
Hm....so, C.K. says that Eden of the East is the best series this year(assuming he's strictly talking about english releases)? Well, last year, he said that Baccano! was one of the best series of last year. After picking it up, it became not only my favorite series of last year, but one of my favorite series of all time.

Up until the final OVA closing episodes, I would've said I respected the style more than I actually had fun with it. In fact, after watching Kaiba, I could easily see how someone could fall in love with that type of plot layout once they were done finishing it.
While Baccano is one of those "universal" animes that come out every 2-3 years with the same type of consistant quality of storytelling(from what I've heard about Durarara, is that it's much MORE anime-ish, therefore, less of what made Baccano so gosh-darn brilliant), it's great news to hear that Eden of the East isn't something to be missed.

I almost always look forward to stuff Carl reviews. The only recent title he did that I firmly disagreed with was Demon King Daimao.
Heck, I liked his Toradora review a "bit"(no offense, Key) more.
Unfortunately, I still have yet to try the great social anime NANA yet...

One comment, the "best great series of this year" seems to be stretching it.
I for one, found a great deal of depth in Casshern Sins. Not only that, but Oh! Edo Rocket comes out soon! It's not necessarily a "grounded" topic of discussion, but it's a perfect example of mixing seriousness with humor. Something that hasn't been properly done since Martian Successor Nadesico.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

I almost always look forward to stuff Carl reviews. The only recent title he did that I firmly disagreed with was Demon King Daimao.
Heck, I liked his Toradora review a "bit"(no offense, Key) more.
Unfortunately, I still have yet to try the great social anime NANA yet...

I friggin LOVE NANA but Carl's over the top praise even made me squirm at times while reading them. I'm just not down with that wax poetic stuff that sometimes happens when he's crazy about a show.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
It's weird that Carl would come to that conclusion... Heck, one of the points of GitS was going in-depth over such matters. If anything, that alone made whatever emotions and characterization MORE appreciable(of course, one shouldn't mix appreciable with quality. Even without the theme, the characters were still quite good).

I think it's possible that folks who call SAC "cold" are looking squarely at the Major, who is frequently the most stoic lead (even moreso in the first Oshii film, but that's a whole other ball of wax). She can be a bit of a cypher in the early parts of the series, though touches of her emotional core come out here and there. (In the second episode of the series, for instance, a weapons designer and programmer with a terminal disease puts his brain in a heavily armored tank. Motoko links with it to burn out his brain and stop the tank, but is deeply affected by what she sees in there only to try and shrug it off when discussing it with Batou.)

The only real stoic characters in Eden of the East are some of the Selecao that operate more in the background. It's an interesting difference.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
I always think of Motoko emerging from "the perfect movie", myself; partially though because I also like to see movies alone a lot of the time. Razz
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

I think it's possible that folks who call SAC "cold" are looking squarely at the Major, who is frequently the most stoic lead (even moreso in the first Oshii film, but that's a whole other ball of wax). She can be a bit of a cypher in the early parts of the series, though touches of her emotional core come out here and there. (In the second episode of the series, for instance, a weapons designer and programmer with a terminal disease puts his brain in a heavily armored tank. Motoko links with it to burn out his brain and stop the tank, but is deeply affected by what she sees in there only to try and shrug it off when discussing it with Batou.)

Her stoic-ness is a key part of her character background too. She's shrugged off a large part of her humanity by constant cybernetic upgrades, bodies, transplants, etc,. That and her profession requires an absolute cool head. So when something DOES affect her it's all the more emotional for the viewers (who were paying attention, at least) because it shows that she still hasn't managed to completely throw her human side away.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar9 wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that the majority of the people who are giving praised to it's concept alone because it's "different" from the standard flair we get every year despite the fact that the execution is horrible? Which is why Zac and Carl are giving so much praise without giving any thought or merit to it's writing and yet bash any show with a "moe" or "sexual" concept as trash without even getting pass the first episode.

And Bamboo also said in her review in last week's Shelf Life:
Quote:
Eden of the East has a good shot of being this year's best new show.

I would have also given the series no lower than an A- overall (and maybe a full A) if I'd had a shot at the review. It's certainly amongst the four titles I'm currently considering for top honors this year and it has an edge in technical merits over the other candidates.

Yes, it definitely has some plot holes, but there's so much else that it does so well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pantsmca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Trolling aside at the guy who whined about his favourite moe & harem shows getting cast aside, but when you put up something like Eden of the East in a sea of shit (read: moe and harem shows, seriously, they're getting old bro), one can't help but feel it's good.

You find me a moe or harem show (that isn't Love Hina at least, that show was good) with the cleverness and maturity of Eden of the East and...well I won't even bother because, well, you can't compare genius to the same rehashed shit.

Anyways, I usually don't buy anime, but there are exceptions - ie: this. Bluray marathon during Reading Week here I come!
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
how come with every review there's always someone complaining about it? Is it the law of the land or a rule or something, maybe ann should have 2 reviews, a professional one for critical thinkers, and a big mirror so people can talk to themselves and leave us alone...

I personally really enjoyed Eden of the East, and I love the ending, I do want to see the movies though I hear they aren't all to hot, but hey gotta form my own opinion sooo...yeah
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4