• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suzumiya Haruhi no Tsuisō PSP/PS3 Game to Ship in 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not in a million years.

If an RPG couldn't make it over here then this game doesn't stand a chance.

Emerje

Yes, especially considering this is probably going to be a visual novel (the otaku format of choice) and I can't imagine North American gamers shelling out 60 dollars for something like that.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
So setting aside the reality that this will never be brought over here. . . .

IF the Japanese were willing to license this to someone for localization, are there any numbers floating about for what that would cost? I often find myself envious of the Japanese getting to have so many anime-related games while no export for us remains close to a actual corporate policy.

What exactly goes into localizing a game anyway? (Yes, I know the basics of translation and such but what does that really entail? How extensive and expensive is it?)

I mean, is localization a PSP/PS3 game like this a multi-million dollar deal or a thousands of dollars range deal?

Costs I can think of:

Licensing: the game itself, music tracks, and voice actors,
Translation,
English voice acting costs (no you can't just keep the Japanese Sony won't let you unless it has English voice as well),
Recoding the game engine to insert the translation (depends how it was made to start with),
QA testing it all again,
ratings board fees,

The other stopping point is getting it licensed/ approved by the console manufacturer. SoA (Sony of America) or SoE (Europe) have different rules to Sony (Japan). The problematic ones are bigger minimum print runs, the restriction on keeping original voice (see above) and no visual novels.
The American Average

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
so... umm. cool.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
I take it if one wants to play the game on the PS3 and PSP with the same save data, one will still need to buy the same game twice?
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
I'm with most people here in saying that I'm eagerly optimistic for it to reach the U.S but, I doubt it will Crying or Very sad
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Just like the other 6 games I'll ether download it or find let's plays on youtube.

I really want to buy the PS3 copy but I don't know enough spoken Japanese to get me anywhere. Plus with a $100+ import price most likely I rather spend my money on something I know has a translation. Like the Umineko PS3 port.
cicivin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting! Very Happy
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
I would so shell out money for this, and actually if it was on PSN they could leave it all Japanese only.

sadly it will as always never reach US shores
Yukito Kunisaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/10/18/please-allow-more-visual-novels-on-ps3psp/#comment-66680

Well, long haul, but as a Visual Novel fan, I feel I should post this. Someone made a Visual Novel thing on Sony's Share blog. Sony apparently does monitor these ideas, so perhaps with enough support, and hopefully reasoning comments, one or two could atleast try out overseas? Hey, if you have a PSN account, it can't hurt to just sign in, and green arrow it up. =/
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Costs I can think of:

Licensing: the game itself, music tracks, and voice actors,
Translation,
English voice acting costs (no you can't just keep the Japanese Sony won't let you unless it has English voice as well),
Recoding the game engine to insert the translation (depends how it was made to start with),
QA testing it all again,
ratings board fees,

The other stopping point is getting it licensed/ approved by the console manufacturer. SoA (Sony of America) or SoE (Europe) have different rules to Sony (Japan). The problematic ones are bigger minimum print runs, the restriction on keeping original voice (see above) and no visual novels.
I was hoping for some actual numbers but that list is nevertheless informative. (Like I had no idea there was a ratings board fee. Not surprised just disgusted.)

And, uh, I'd kinda need the English VAs to really consider something worth my money. That's my audio preference. Anime catgrin

What I'd really like to know is the actual numbers though. I mean, what does it REALLY cost to license a game and then go through all of that?
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Another Haruhi game to add to my wish list. Laughing
It'd be a dream come true if any of the Haruhi games were released in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2