• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Samurai Champs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
I just started Borderlands and I'm starting to like that a lot more, it certainly has a lot of charm despite lack of any plot...I suppose I'd rather have no plot at all than Bethesda's and BioWare's "limited madlibs" storylines I guess
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
I really cant recommend Sengoku Basara enough. The dub is more than bearable and it really has re-invigorated my near dead interest in DW style games.

As an aside; did this article seem to have an above average number of spelling mistakes to anyone else?
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
even though Erna looks unsettlingly young (a fact that makes her her creepier fans point out that she's really thousands of years old)

Oh ho ho ho. Jolly good sir! Jolly good!

I find it funny that the people most inclined to feel the need to make disclaimer statements like this are the ones most likely turned on by such characters.

It is like how politicians make legislation against homosexuals when they are involved in a homosexual relationship themselves. It's a way to point at other people and not cast suspicion on yourself, but often when these statements come out of nowhere, like this one, it makes you look even more suspicious.

In other words, keep the commentary to the game and not your peers.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Todd can talk about western games when he feels like it or when it interests him. He's not required to talk about them. I don't think he's a Bethesda guy anyway.

For the record I'm about 6 hours in to New Vegas and while I'm enjoying the crap out of it precisely because it is more of the same I wish it were even a little eensy bit different from Fallout 3 in terms of aesthetic. I'm not on the Strip yet (exploring Vault 22 right now) but the whole "bombed-out desert followed by ruined minor settlement followed by dank industrial sewer/dungeon/prison" thing does get tired after a while. That they're using mostly the same texture assets from the last one only adds to the "I'm just replaying Fallout 3 with slightly different objectives" feeling.

I've had about like 5-7 different people agree that it PROBABLY could just be considered a glorified expac and they still would have bought the game.

Just give me more to do, more weapons, new quests, etc etc and I'm a happy camper. Although, I'm not gonna defend the god awful plethora of bugs, I'm 'really' getting fed up with every god damn person running away from me the moment I enter a town. Be it NCR, Legion or neutral, ALMOST EVERY TOWN I ENTER results in people running away from me, and with my karma either neutral or good this makes no sense to me... Oh and the system locking crashes, those really suck too. Only hit one so far but still annoying to say the least.

@Tatsu: At least you're being honest, there are people who often deny there's any redeeming value to the game at all and call it crap without backing it up. I'd rather see someone give both the pros and cons to the game and say they don't like it than just list all the cons and badmouth the game as much as they can.

Okay, I'm done here and off to play some more...

Oh and darkness, THIS IS THE ONLY GAME THAT MATTERS...

...'THIS' week. Come next week, people here will be allowed to discuss other games but I declared a thread hijack to discuss New Vegas AND IT SHALL HOLD STRONG.

As for the mention of the game itself, I believe Todd mentioned it like, 2 weeks ago IIRC, I'm almost positive I remember seeing it mentioned at some point.

Or I could be crazy, w/e, I'm fine with either solution.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Nice interview. Too bad the game is completely mediocre. Don't know why Japanese developers think the 6000th Dynasty Warriors (which is a series that needs to die itself) ripoff is a good idea.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
often when these statements come out of nowhere, like this one, it makes you look even more suspicious.

He's reviewing a game whose story centers on this character's underwear. That's not exactly "out of nowhere".
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Bad News for all humans everywhere: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-layton-vs-phoenix-wright-only-for-japan

One can only hope they'll change their minds. I had though the Wright and Layton games were fairly popular in the States.

And I'd like to reiterate my position that Etna cannot possibly wear panties.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
OMG, another 'Mama' game? That's what you have to call them now. Mainly because there are more Cooking games than anything else. Yet the Gardening game and now the Sewing game are like in a whole different category. Guess what I'll be buying my niece for Xmas. Since she's either tired of them but still plays them. Babysitting? Talk about defining sex roles. Hahaha!!! Who would have thought this strip would speak volumes 2 years earlier.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=252

PL and and PW together? Talk about cross over coming to a whole new level. Now the brain games will cause your head to explode.

Cabaret Girls for 3DS? You can only know where this is going. Just wait jiggle vision will become a reality if it hasn't already.

I'm interested in the Fantasy Life game. Seems that Level-5 is really getting some notice.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
I heard it actually WILL be this time around. Maybe trying to combat international piracy this time?
Combatting piracy by making legitimate importers unable to play games sounds sort of odd.

Well, let's just say The Pokemon Company isn't too happy with a couple websites spoiling Black and White info, knowing they are using Japanese roms... So, something along that line perhaps?

Plus sometimes I know companies just hate imports, since on occasion the local sales will be really bad. I remember for Demon's Souls, MANY people imported it from Asia (well, in this case it IS a PS3 game) and then when it did come out in North America, they were worried that Europe imported too much from Asia AND North America, which is why I heard both sets came with the artbooks/soundtrack incentive: to pick it up locally.
andyscout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
New Vegas is out.

No other game matters right now.

You cannot deny this being true.

DJ Max Portable 3 is out.

I just denied yours being true, because no other game matters right now.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Layton x Wright sounds pretty atrocious. I really wish Level 5 were working on something else right now to be honest.

Just finished Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 on PS3 last night and it was superb. Long load times and an online community infested with spamtastically cheap players don't change the fact it's a deeply impressive game for an anime tie in. The final boss fight alone is such a visual feast it makes up for the drastically downgraded technically exploration sequences. Great game.

Looking forward to New Vegas and ZHP a lot.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I was one of those fans who imported Basara 2 way back when, so it wasn't a surprise to any of my friends that I bought Basara 3 the first day it came out. The dub is really excellent (especially for those of you used to the SW and DW dubs...) with the exception of Kenshin Uesugi (IMO) since they decided to give him Freeza voice for some unknown reason.

My only complaint is that they made the game a bit too serious in comparison to the previous games. I miss Keiji's festival stage, magical housewife Matsu and Yukimura and Masamune fighting each other while standing on their horses.... I also worry that anyone picking up the wonderfully ridiculous anime might be slightly disappointed at the lack of crazy in the game. But for the record, it's not like it's not there, it's just toned down a lot.

I really hope this game sells despite the lackluster reviews...I want more Basara in America![/i]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
January will be an historic month for the game industry, for it is then that Prinny 2 will become the first game released in North America with the word “panties” in its title.

I raise my glass to you.
Such news suggests it is worth paying attention to the world of video games once again, albeit not in the most mindful of manners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shirogetsune

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes isn't a DW/SW rip off... even if it feels like it at first. Once your character has gained some levels and unlocked different techniques, the differences begin to show. It's definitely inspired by the Warriors franchise, without a doubt, but it's approach isn't a straight up KOEI clone. I'd explain, but it won't matter because most people that hate this genre blindly wouldn't change their mind, no matter how many characters I typed.

If you like the Warriors franchise, I'd recommend at least checking out Basara. It's years improved over Devil Kings and each stage has a unique gimmick. It's somewhat refreshing after investing 20-30 some hours into Samurai Warriors 3.

For the record, Masamune is *alright* but Ieyasu is where it's at. Block + Charge and then mashing Attack for insane combo counts never gets old. Especially when you add in Hero Time and his special attack.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Shirogetsune wrote:

For the record, Masamune is *alright* but Ieyasu is where it's at. Block + Charge and then mashing Attack for insane combo counts never gets old. Especially when you add in Hero Time and his special attack.

Really? I have the hardest time controlling him (accuracy wise...). I much prefer Mitsunari's cheese-tastic weapon and move set. It's very reminiscent of Hanbei from SB2 which I loved dearly. Ahhh, I miss you Fey-Zorro...damn consumption!

And it's a pretty tough sell, isn't it? Most reviewers give it low scored cause they think it's just more of the same ol' stuff they've been seeing for years with the Samurai/Dynasty Warriors franchise. I've also read from some irate fans blogsites (when I was on a lookout for while the storyline got more serious) that the reviewers handling the game hate the genre in the first place. Talk about a biased opinion. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4