• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Recalls 1st Birdy the Mighty Decode DVD Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
@Bob

So I am guessing you think rightstuf's attempt to get funi to absorb the cost wont work then and I shouldn't open up the one I got in the mail today?

And thanks for whining there, thats good to know. Might make me pick up a NISA item over a Funi if I am on the fence. People should pay for their mistakes I can't even image how many clients the business I work part time for would loose if the tried stuff like that.....

Last edited by RoverTX on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
MBF wrote:
For those of you wondering, second disc of the Birdy set that was shipped out is actually Disc 2 of the Season 4 boxset of DBZ.

Just curious, do the disks say Birdy but play DBZ, or do they say DBZ too?
MBF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
MBF wrote:
For those of you wondering, second disc of the Birdy set that was shipped out is actually Disc 2 of the Season 4 boxset of DBZ.

The disc itself says Birdy Disc 2, but when you put it into, say windows media player, the info that pops up and plays is DBZ
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
MBF wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
MBF wrote:

The disc itself says Birdy Disc 2, but when you put it into, say windows media player, the info that pops up and plays is DBZ

Thats awesome I hope righstuf gets thing set up so we don't have to send them back, sounds like a future collectors item... kind of.... lol
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That sucks. I wonder what happened to cause this error?
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I despise shipping hassles. I may just find some place to download it later as I rip everything I buy anyway. (I don't have it yet but it's on it's way).

Did this happen to 100% of sets?
Chobittsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Mine dvd currently still in transit and will likely arrive on Saturday. I'm wishing that Funi will send a replacement disc so I won't have to deal with reutrning it, since some people have said that returning dvds to rightstuf is a hassle. At least this gives me some hope.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
MBF wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
MBF wrote:

LOL - It might be even funnier if I didn't have a copy in the mail from TRSI at the moment Sad .

mckg1, the error is actually a more common one that can happen when you mass replicate stuff, though the scale might be bigger than usual. What normally happens with this type of error is that when a replicating company presses (burns, in the case of DVD's) the media for a release they have a master machine and a lot of slave machines hooked up to the master machine. The company puts in the master copy of the media to be replicated and then makes a bunch of copies that will be sent off to have their artwork added and packaged afterwords. If the company puts in the wrong master copy, you end up with a lot of copies of a disk with the wrong media on it.

The last time I can remember this happening with Anime fandom was the Ghost in the Shell: SAC Disk 2 SE release. The error with that was that the SE's were a two disk set with one disk being "Dolby Digital 5.1 (DD) discs were labeled DTS, and DTS discs were labelled DD". The replicator on that one mixed up which disk was which and the regular DVD's got marked as the HD and vice verse. This was a bigger issue with that set because the Dolby 5.1 wouldn't play on standard DVD players and you ended up with a picture and no sound (I seem to remember the extras were also missing and maybe on other issue but just what I'm currently blanking on). Bandai did a recall on that one (personally I just kept my disks because I figured I could figure out how to get the right one in the machine without having to go through the hassle of sending it in), though the misprinted disks are still said to plague people who buy the series even to this day, because Bandai is still stuffing the wrong disks into current packaging - or so I've read in threads at online forums (someone else will have to vouch for it).
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well I did get mine finally and it was indeed a DBZ Season 4 Disc 2.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Yeah, same here, that's just mind-blowingly incredible... I was really digging disc 1 stories too, now we all will have to wait for a corrected second disc.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Xanas wrote:

Yeah, same here, that's just mind-blowingly incredible... I was really digging disc 1 stories too, now we all will have to wait for a corrected second disc.

This sounds like one of those legendary screw-ups that people try to sell as rare at cons.

"I have the screwed up Birdy Disc 2! It's super rare!"
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Just curious, dose anyone know if its a normal return to sender (rightstuf) or do I have to enclude anything so they know its a defective one and I can get the new one in November.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Sora/Sanctuary wrote:
Just curious, dose anyone know if its a normal return to sender (rightstuf) or do I have to enclude anything so they know its a defective one and I can get the new one in November.

Its a normal return but atm there statement is as follows reguarding returning it

rightstuf wrote:
FUNimation has issued a recall of Birdy the Mighty: Decode Part 1. The set's UPC code is 704400067204, and it was scheduled to street October 26, 2010. For customers who have purchased this item from our store and already received it, please hold off on shipping your box sets back to us. We are currently working with FUNimation in order to have replacement discs sent to you so there will be no need to return the entire collection. We will have more details within the next few days. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service representatives.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Pending orders will be filled with the replacement item which is scheduled for release on November 30, 2010.

Here is the link.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like customers won't have to do anything if they ordered from TRSI.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1853231&postcount=81

Cool. We get to keep the real collector's item. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
This sounds like one of those legendary screw-ups that people try to sell as rare at cons.

"I have the screwed up Birdy Disc 2! It's super rare!"

Yeah, I can see it now...

Otaku 'A': "Score! I just got the 'legendary' first-press of Birdy: Decode Disc 2!"

Otaku 'B': "You mean the one with DBZ: Ultimate Ed. Season 4, Disc 2?"

Otaku 'A': "Yeah! And I got it for a steal! Only $60! Jealous?"

Otaku 'B': "Uhh, couldn't you have gotten all of DBZ: Season 4 for that price?"

Otaku 'A': "Yeah, so what's your point? The seller said it was 'super rare'!"

Otaku 'B': .... *walks off*

Otaku 'A': "Hey, where you going?"

Seller: *looks at box full of 'super rare' Birdy: Decode Disc 2s* "Hehehehehehe! Sucker!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4